5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steering/truck feels loose and unstable

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Could be number of things, a good suspension shop/alignment inspection can probably better diagnose. Could be bad ball joints on the upper control arms or perhaps your caster angle is off. Too low of caster will cause the front to feel loose or flightly. You see this a lot with Jeeps that have lift kits installed and don't replace the control arms to adjust the caster. I'd inspect all the suspension bolts to see if they are tight. Otherwise have an alignment performed and see if any of the numbers are way off.

Edited to add to check the sway bar links.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Could be number of things, a good suspension shop/alignment inspection can probably better diagnose. Could be bad ball joints on the upper control arms or perhaps your caster angle is off. Too low of caster will cause the front to feel loose or flightly. You see this a lot with Jeeps that have lift kits installed and don't replace the control arms to adjust the caster. I'd inspect all the suspension bolts to see if they are tight. Otherwise have an alignment performed and see if any of the numbers are way off.

i bought new uca from readylift and im gonna have dealer align it friday to see if that helps just the slightest bump and the wheel turns left or right but i keep going straight and on the highway the truck is left right left right left right constantly

armymp1130

Reaction score

so i had to fight but i got the dealer to order a new steering rack, they said they drove it and put it on the alignment rack and said there was no issues. but i put up a fight saying truck was unsafe so there willing to try the rack first and said if that doesnt make me satisfied they will try other things until the truck is perfect so i will update once they replace it

armymp1130

Reaction score
i got my truck back yesterday after new steering rack and truck was still pulling to right and now wheel was canted to the left to go straight so i brought it back this was alignment sheet after new rack

Attachments

• BE9F3D82-FB4C-4613-A230-064142125C09.jpeg
    BE9F3D82-FB4C-4613-A230-064142125C09.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 36

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
i got my truck back yesterday after new steering rack and truck was still pulling to right and now wheel was canted to the left to go straight so i brought it back this was alignment sheet after new rack
Take it back and have them realign the truck. Tell them to pay atention to the camber specs.
You driver from tire is riding like this |, while your passenger is going like this \, should be fairly noticeable if your look at your truck from the front. ask them for at least 0.1* camber on both sides, Toe 0.05 on both sides, caster is typically a little lower on the driver side for road crown, in your case is the opposite though either way that caster won't wear down your tires. But even the report seems to indicate something that one or move values are out of specs. Surprised they let you go that way home... your camber is -1 on the pass side. hopefully just a lazy tech who only wanted to massage your toe and go home that's why he left you with a chitty alignment job :)

Also interesting the rear toe difference. How many miles do you have on the truck, have the truck been in an accident ? your rear thurst angle shold be 0, not like -0.1 would be much but wonder what's going on back there. Take your rear control arms and inspect the bushings. failed rear control arms bushings will cause the truck to wander side to side on the fwy.

armymp1130

Reaction score
Take it back and have them realign the truck. Tell them to pay atention to the camber specs.
You driver from tire is riding like this |, while your passenger is going like this \, should be fairly noticeable if your look at your truck from the front. ask them for at least 0.1* camber on both sides, Toe 0.05 on both sides, caster is typically a little lower on the driver side for road crown, in your case is the opposite though either way that caster won't wear down your tires. But even the report seems to indicate something that one or move values are out of specs. Surprised they let you go that way home... your camber is -1 on the pass side. hopefully just a lazy tech who only wanted to massage your toe and go home that's why he left you with a chitty alignment job :)

Also interesting the rear toe difference. How many miles do you have on the truck, have the truck been in an accident ? your rear thurst angle shold be 0, not like -0.1 would be much but wonder what's going on back there. Take your rear control arms and inspect the bushings. failed rear control arms bushings will cause the truck to wander side to side on the fwy.
only 11000 miles its a 2020 ive owned it since new and they re aligned it today and drives much better

Users who are viewing this thread