5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering pulsing/shudder noise - 2019 Limited

dreinert

Reaction score
I have 45k miles on my 2019 Limited 1500 and over the last ~2 weeks I noticed that when making slower speed sharp turns (enter/exit parking lots, driveways, etc) every now and again I can hear and slightly feel in the steering wheel a pulse/shudder/groan. It doesn’t shake or jerk the steering wheel at all and the best way to probably describe it is almost like a much quieter initiation of the antilock brakes that last for less than 1 second.

My tires are near end of life so I initially chalked it up to some skid on the front tires but with it occurring a few times a week that doesn’t at all seem viable. There’s nothing that I can seem to do to replicate it on demand or I’d just take it to the dealer.

Anyone else experience the same or have any ideas?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
U-joint would be my first guess. Maybe a wheel bearing, but I don't think so, as those usually make a constant noise.

However, those are just guesses without seeing the car, best to take it into a trusted mechanic and have them take a look.

Bchbnd

Reaction score
I have 45k miles on my 2019 Limited 1500 and over the last ~2 weeks I noticed that when making slower speed sharp turns (enter/exit parking lots, driveways, etc) every now and again I can hear and slightly feel in the steering wheel a pulse/shudder/groan. It doesn’t shake or jerk the steering wheel at all and the best way to probably describe it is almost like a much quieter initiation of the antilock brakes that last for less than 1 second.

My tires are near end of life so I initially chalked it up to some skid on the front tires but with it occurring a few times a week that doesn’t at all seem viable. There’s nothing that I can seem to do to replicate it on demand or I’d just take it to the dealer.

Anyone else experience the same or have any ideas?
Mine did the same thing when turning right at slow speed (15mph). Luckily I could replicate in the parking lot beside the dealership. Ended up replacing the rack & pinion and has not happened again.

dreinert

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I jacked up the drivers front and tried to shake the tire from left to right and from top and bottom and didn't get any movement. Tomorrow, I'll do the entire front end check the passenger front and and see if I can get any clicks from moving the steering wheel with the truck off. See if I can get any wheel bearing movement or u-joint noise at max turn.

Bchbnd, I feel like mine definitely occurs on while turning right, I actually don't recall a time of it occurring while turning left. Did it progressively get worse for you or did it come on all at once?

I have the Mopar lifetime warranty so I'm not concerned about the expense but I feel like I have to do the tech's complete job with a detailed description, video, and/or replicate it in person or "it's operating as intended".

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
You don't state if your Ram is 4WD or if your tire size or ride height is still stock, but could be tire scrub in a turn with the wheel at full lock and going over driveway transitions, etc.
When you're checking the front suspension, look real close for even the slightest evidence of tire contact with anything in the wheel well area or mud guards/splash guards.
With 45,000 miles and needing new tires, it's probably time to have an alignment shop look at it.
Also check ride height between left and right side. Could have a coilover starting to weaken. Heck, mismatched tire inflation can cause this, too.
If you have the air ride suspension, check ride height left and right anyway to see if the height sensors are matched.

Steve

Bchbnd

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I jacked up the drivers front and tried to shake the tire from left to right and from top and bottom and didn't get any movement. Tomorrow, I'll do the entire front end check the passenger front and and see if I can get any clicks from moving the steering wheel with the truck off. See if I can get any wheel bearing movement or u-joint noise at max turn.

Bchbnd, I feel like mine definitely occurs on while turning right, I actually don't recall a time of it occurring while turning left. Did it progressively get worse for you or did it come on all at once?

I have the Mopar lifetime warranty so I'm not concerned about the expense but I feel like I have to do the tech's complete job with a detailed description, video, and/or replicate it in person or "it's operating as intended".
Really weird. It started at around 5k miles and stayed the same until repaired. Only did it on right hand turns and only in certain spots. I could make it happen every time when I went to those certain spots. Again I was lucky and took the tech with me to the lot and it did it on cue. 40k miles now and not once even in those spots after repairs. If it happens again go back and try the exact turn again. If you can video and post I will confirm if it is the same noise. Very distinct sound.

baldguy79

Reaction score
I have a 21 Laramie and am now having the same problem. Was a new rack everyones repair?

Mondoman60

Reaction score
I have 55k on my 2019 4wd and it starting doing the shudder when starting a left turn at low speed. Doesn't have to be a sharp turn, don't think it is wheel rub. To be clear, it's not like an out of alignment roll. It's a rapid shudder but it is brief. Haven't had it checked out yet but I will start with an alignment. Wondering if it has to do with the electronic steering. Don't know much about that part.

Users who are viewing this thread