5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering broke

vikadonis

Reaction score
Less than 800 miles on Laramie and I have squealing brakes, overhead dome lights weren’t work and a clip(not readily available) was broken on the console and tonight something started rattling in the steering wheel. Something is obviously broken. I can make 4 rotations of the wheel before it stops. I have been berated by all of my coworkers for buying a ram guess they are getting the last laugh. I sure hope Ram steps up quickly before I have to take things into my own hands. I have been without my new truck for a week and I purchased Sept 6th. I do not want this exact truck as much as I liked it originally. Took 1 full year to convince my wife that I needed a truck and in less than a month we are now arguing about it.

Last edited:

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are right I should get up to 10 things wrong before I consider it a problem. Faulty steering in a new vehicle is no big deal! What was I thinking?
Settle down, my point was for your idiot co-workers who think the other brands are perfect. If this is a safety issue please file a report with NHTSA.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I've had vehicles that only made it in to a service dept for an oil change. I've had others that made it seem like they were there every month.

The bottom line here is not the problems, it's how the manufacturer address the issues and fixes them in a timely basis.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had vehicles that only made it in to a service dept for an oil change. I've had others that made it seem like they were there every month.

The bottom line here is not the problems, it's how the manufacturer address the issues and fixes them in a timely basis.

Right.

This is my third Ram 1500. My 2010 and 2014 were delivered defect free. My '03 Dakota the same way. I could list other vehicles I've owned from other manufacturers that were not.

When I ordered this 2019 I knew it was being built in a new plant with all new assembly equipment and assembled by workers that had been building something else before the Ram. I was not foolish enough to think this '19 was going to be delivered problem free. In retrospect I am fairly lucky with three non-debilitating quality issues that have been completely taken care of by my dealer's service staff. The end result, considering the inconvenience of two trips back for correction, is I still have the smoothest, quietest, most solid, most rewarding truck I have ever owned or ever been in.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004357 miles.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I've posted my horror story on here with my 17 Cummings. I still have faith in FCA enough to buy the new Ram instead of going back and getting a new Tundra. As I hope for all the people on here with problems that you get some resolution and have a problem free truck going forward. I've been fortunate with our Rebel, we haven't had one problem with it so far and we just turned 3,000 miles. My Daytona, daughter's Journey and her BF's 18 single cab along with my 15 Charger were all problem free.

Kramersp

Reaction score
The grass isn't always greener...
View attachment 5856
Ford makes more than double the trucks Ram makes btw. There are nowhere near the amount of 2019 Rams on the road as there is 2018 F150's. I love my truck buts it's been to the shop 6 times already for the same 2 issues that are still not resolved. A 3rd issue with the ram box fit and finish has to wait until I get to San Diego. These trucks are overall looking like a bunch of junk coming off the line and it doesn't appear to get better as time goes on.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Right.

This is my third Ram 1500. My 2010 and 2014 were delivered defect free. My '03 Dakota the same way. I could list other vehicles I've owned from other manufacturers that were not.

When I ordered this 2019 I knew it was being built in a new plant with all new assembly equipment and assembled by workers that had been building something else before the Ram. I was not foolish enough to think this '19 was going to be delivered problem free. In retrospect I am fairly lucky with three non-debilitating quality issues that have been completely taken care of by my dealer's service staff. The end result, considering the inconvenience of two trips back for correction, is I still have the smoothest, quietest, most solid, most rewarding truck I have ever owned or ever been in.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004357 miles.
Right. I went into this knowing and expecting some first year problems. Steering seems bad because it is a safety out of service kind of issue. I am just hoping I don’t get the AC problems. Most everything else is fixable by a competent dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread