5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting a Side Detailing Gig

cervelo15

Reaction score
Just like the title says, I’ve been giving some thought to starting a car/truck detailing side gig. My friend and I did this 20+ years ago and the technology then was nowhere near what it is now. The old saying, if I knew then what I know now…

Im curious if anyone has ever done something like this and what their experience has been. I subscribe to Pan the Organizer and he had some great tips if you want to start a business like this. Start small, offer it to local friends and family.

Im not sure of the ceramic coating route yet, because that takes practice and finesse. Not to mention, if you mess it up, it’s a lot of work to fix.

Some products I have used lately gave me some confidence about keeping the car clean and doing it quickly. Case in point is my wife’s car. It’s not ceramic coated, but I used a multi-step chemical decon process in washing it today. It went pretty smooth and I’m starting to develop a rhythm.

Any thoughts you wish to share are appreciated!

Cajun_

Reaction score
I find the skill of the detailer all comes down to how good they are with a polisher. The chemicals and coatings all have directions written on the back of them, polishing takes practice and experience to get the best results.

Begrenzt

Reaction score
I agree that Pan is the best on YouTub, but you might also gain some insight with Wilson Auto Detailing channel

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I do a few cars a year outside of my own vehicles - maybe 5 to 10. I agree on polishing skills, but also interior detailing skills. Getting upholstery clean is important. Having some quality, expensive equipment also helps set your services apart even if you are just a weekend warrior. Here are some recommendations of equipment:

Griot's Garage G9 polisher
McCulloch Steam Cleaner
Bissell SpotClean Pro Extractor
A set of drill brushes
A quality pressure washer

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I did it full time for a dealership when i was younger then started doing side jobs. while it can be rewarding i was realizing people are gross (lol). my advice is to start small and don't run out and buy an extractor right away as you can get most things out with a drill brush and good cleaners. also if you are not confident in your buffing skills, be realistic with your clients up front on what you feel confident on getting out of the paint.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I did it full time for a dealership when i was younger then started doing side jobs. while it can be rewarding i was realizing people are gross (lol). my advice is to start small and don't run out and buy an extractor right away as you can get most things out with a drill brush and good cleaners. also if you are not confident in your buffing skills, be realistic with your clients up front on what you feel confident on getting out of the paint.
I had a similar path, doing it part time for a Toyota dealership in my late teens, early 20’s. Coolest part was getting to drive the brand new cars into the bay to get them prepped.

I think that’s where my obsession with keeping a car pristine and clean Comes from. My wife rolls her eyes when Im wiping it down or buying a new set of rags for it. But hey, I just smile when I get complements on how clean the truck looks.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Just like the title says, I’ve been giving some thought to starting a car/truck detailing side gig. My friend and I did this 20+ years ago and the technology then was nowhere near what it is now. The old saying, if I knew then what I know now…

Im curious if anyone has ever done something like this and what their experience has been. I subscribe to Pan the Organizer and he had some great tips if you want to start a business like this. Start small, offer it to local friends and family.

Im not sure of the ceramic coating route yet, because that takes practice and finesse. Not to mention, if you mess it up, it’s a lot of work to fix.

Some products I have used lately gave me some confidence about keeping the car clean and doing it quickly. Case in point is my wife’s car. It’s not ceramic coated, but I used a multi-step chemical decon process in washing it today. It went pretty smooth and I’m starting to develop a rhythm.

Where abouts in LV? I've been looking into getting a detail done and there are two new shops that recently opened near me.

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I had a similar path, doing it part time for a Toyota dealership in my late teens, early 20’s. Coolest part was getting to drive the brand new cars into the bay to get them prepped.

I think that’s where my obsession with keeping a car pristine and clean Comes from. My wife rolls her eyes when Im wiping it down or buying a new set of rags for it. But hey, I just smile when I get complements on how clean the truck looks.
I clean my wife's and my truck weekly, no matter what weather is or coming that week. i take pride in things we own and keeping them clean is the right thing to do.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Where abouts in LV? I've been looking into getting a detail done and there are two new shops that recently opened near me.
One place I am going to Thursday to have a small dent/crease fixed is Dent & Detail off 100/29 in Emmaus/Macungie. I’ve been following them on Instagram and they do awesome, honest work. I met the guy who owns it too and he’s a cool breeze. They do detailing, ceramic coating and PDR.

Another place I can recommend is where I got my ceramic coating done and that’s Lehigh Valley Auto Detaling in Allentown. Josh is great there and they did an awesome job on my truck. He just moved onto Keats street in Allentown.

Shine Techs I also follow on IG and they look like they do great work too. They are on Freemansburg Ave in Easton.

My go-to for detaling supplies is the Clean Garage in Foglesville. They are top notch and its a toy store for guys like me looking to keep a clean car. They are currently moving to a new location in Kuhnsville right next to the diner.

What part of the valley are you in?

cervelo15

Reaction score
I clean my wife's and my truck weekly, no matter what weather is or coming that week. i take pride in things we own and keeping them clean is the right thing to do.
Totally agree, and it’s something I try to explain to my wife on a daily basis. I do the same for my fleet of bikes, and it’s good practice to try new cleaning compounds or methods to perfect your craft.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
One place I am going to Thursday to have a small dent/crease fixed is Dent & Detail off 100/29 in Emmaus/Macungie. I’ve been following them on Instagram and they do awesome, honest work. I met the guy who owns it too and he’s a cool breeze. They do detailing, ceramic coating and PDR.

Another place I can recommend is where I got my ceramic coating done and that’s Lehigh Valley Auto Detaling in Allentown. Josh is great there and they did an awesome job on my truck. He just moved onto Keats street in Allentown.

Shine Techs I also follow on IG and they look like they do great work too. They are on Freemansburg Ave in Easton.

My go-to for detaling supplies is the Clean Garage in Foglesville. They are top notch and its a toy store for guys like me looking to keep a clean car. They are currently moving to a new location in Kuhnsville right next to the diner.

What part of the valley are you in?
I'm actually in Emmaus. I've seen Dent and Details social media and have been looking at Curb Appeal as well. Both seem to do nice work.

cervelo15

Reaction score
I'm actually in Emmaus. I've seen Dent and Details social media and have been looking at Curb Appeal as well. Both seem to do nice work.
Nice! I’m up in the northern valley area in Neffs/Schnecksville.

My truck will be at Dent and Detail Thursday. I’m pretty psyched for them to do the PDR work and they’re doing a maintenance wash on it as well. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Cajun_

Reaction score
I was thinking of this yesterday when walking my dog and listening to music. Are there good podcasts on car detailing?
obsessed garage has a good podcast but its not really only about detailing. i think the rag company and Chicago auto pros do as well

Burnzie

Reaction score

I thought of doing this also, but all it takes is one customer to say Hey this scratch wasn't there when I dropped it off, and you're taking time off work to go to small claims court. So I just clean my truck and the wife's Durango and that's it.

swizlstik

Reaction score
259c105dc6ffecc95893ad748c7f1935.jpg

Detailing is, by far, my favorite hobby. I didn’t turn it into a side job but could very easily. When I think of jumping into that I stop and realize I wouldn’t have a hobby anymore if I turned it into a job.

Cajun_

Reaction score
259c105dc6ffecc95893ad748c7f1935.jpg

Detailing is, by far, my favorite hobby. I didn’t turn it into a side job but could very easily. When I think of jumping into that I stop and realize I wouldn’t have a hobby anymore if I turned it into a job.
That 50/50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online