5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start truck with doors open??

gwatt86

Reaction score
My 2019 won’t start if the doors are open. It says key fob not detected. Once all doors are closed, it will start. Seems like some safety feature but don’t see anything in settings to disable. This is really annoying. Any way to disable this so I can start the truck if doors are open? Thanks in advance.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where is your key fob? It needs to be close to the start button. I keep it in my left pocket and it does this if the door is open. If I place the key fob closer to the start button, it works fine. That is just the way it is designed.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Mine is always in my left pocket. I can be sitting in the seat, door open, nothing. I close the door, starts just fine.

U

User_3336

Try being in DRIVE engine on, with the door open and see what happens! LOL

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 won’t start if the doors are open. It says key fob not detected. Once all doors are closed, it will start. Seems like some safety feature but don’t see anything in settings to disable. This is really annoying. Any way to disable this so I can start the truck if doors are open? Thanks in advance.

Something is definitely off, I start mine regularly just reaching in with the door open but not sitting in my seat. Did that with my last ram as well without any issue. That being said I'm not sure how to resolve the issue you're having.

gwatt86

Reaction score
Something is definitely off, I start mine regularly just reaching in with the door open but not sitting in my seat. Did that with my last ram as well without any issue. That being said I'm not sure how to resolve the issue you're having.
Looks like you’ve got a 2020. My father in law has a 2021 and can start it without doors closed. Wonder if it’s something with 19’s.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replace any interior or cargo bulbs with LEDs?

gwatt86

Reaction score
Replace any interior or cargo bulbs with LEDs?
Yes, the dome light and map lights. I had the start up issue with the 3rd brake light and changed it back to halogen and that issue went away.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like you’ve got a 2020. My father in law has a 2021 and can start it without doors closed. Wonder if it’s something with 19’s.

2021 actually, and my previous ram that I mentioned was a 2017. Can't say for sure for the 2019's but something seems off with the OP's.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the dome light and map lights. I had the start up issue with the 3rd brake light and changed it back to halogen and that issue went away.
I think you found your problem. Unless you know for a fact that you've started it with doors open and interior LEDs consistently before the problem came up. There is no safety feature that prevents it from starting with the doors open. There is definitely a safety feature when going into D or R with the door open though. It'll automatically apply the parking brake if you try that.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reach in and push the brake pedal with one hand and push the start button and my 19 fires right up.

Oh yeah, I forgot that little detail. Same with mine though, no issues starting it this way.

Users who are viewing this thread