5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop and Stability Control Service Messages

osuguy0301

Reaction score
I used the search function and didn't find anything, sorry if this is elsewhere.

I just bought a 2019 Ram Big Horn 1500 with the crew cab and V-6 E-Torque engine on Saturday. On my way to work today, I get 2 messages, Start/Stop service and Stability Control service at the same time. Yesterday on my way home from work my front passenger turn signal quit working. My truck has less than 100 miles on it. I have an appointment set up at the dealer for tomorrow morning at 9:30 am. Has anyone else run into any of these problems?

Thanks,
Jake

osuguy0301

Reaction score
Update: Dropped it off at the dealership this morning. It ended up being a loose ground wire that was causing all the issues. They tightened it back up and everything is supposedly fine. The dealership is about 2 miles from my house so didn't really get a chance to see if thats true to not. Will report back if anything changes.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the Start/Stop system threw a curve ball at me while at a stop light today:
- Engine “stopped” normally but then...
- While in Drive activated my parking brake (set to auto-activate in Park).
- Did not restart the engine.
- Also warned me to put the vehicle in Park.

Meanwhile, the light turned green and folks behind me started getting a bit shall we say antsie in their pantsies... Felt like I was being evaluated in an emergency procedure simulator. I shifted to park, restarted the truck, turned off the parking brake, and could then drive off normally, waving in a friendly manner to my fellow road travelers of course... by then I noticed the start/stop had deactivated itself, giving me the “Start/Stop Unavailable Service Start/Stop System” error.

I had been experiencing the “Service Start/Stop” error intermittently, but unless the error is active the techs can only see that the error was triggered, but they can’t read what caused it. Luckily I had time to pop in to let them plug in.

Looks like @Tmcb had a similar problem fixed a while back:
I had the same issue with mine. The dealer replaced a sensor and no problems sense.
In my case just like @Tmcb it was a sensor, specifically one of the multiple hood-closed sensors. Part is now on order, scheduled for a fix in a couple days.

This seems distinct from your pair of error messages including stability control @osuguy0301 , but it relates and as you said there aren’t any other posts on the topic so hopefully folks in need will end up here to see how we sorted things out.

Linbeurgue

Reaction score

Meanwhile, the light turned green and folks behind me started getting a bit shall we say antsie in their pantsies... Felt like I was being evaluated in an emergency procedure simulator. I shifted to park, restarted the truck, turned off the parking brake, and could then drive off normally, waving in a friendly manner to my fellow road travelers of course... by then I noticed the start/stop had deactivated itself, giving me the “Start/Stop Unavailable Service Start/Stop System” error.

I had been experiencing the “Service Start/Stop” error intermittently, but unless the error is active the techs can only see that the error was triggered, but they can’t read what caused it. Luckily I had time to pop in to let them plug in.

In my case just like @Tmcb it was a sensor, specifically one of the multiple hood-closed sensors. Part is now on order, scheduled for a fix in a couple days.

This seems distinct from your pair of error messages including stability control @osuguy0301 , but it relates and as you said there aren’t any other posts on the topic so hopefully folks in need will end up here to see how we sorted things out.

I just had a similar issue but in my case, the vehicle did put itself on Park but no parking brake. On the fourth occurrence, after a manual restart at a stop light, I couldn't drive any faster than 25 mph even though I would floor it. Then I noticed that about 10 stupid lights lid up and stayed that way until a full engine shut down and restart. Went to the dealer and they replaced a faulty cam position sensor. Can't tell if that fixed the issue cause I had to turn around and bring back the vehicle for another system malfunction. The truck is 500 miles old and is still being serviced...

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

UPDATE: My start stop system error message has returned despite having the hood sensors serviced, going in again today to troubleshoot more... but error does not appear all the time (like it hides whenever service is looking at it)... it’s one of those kind of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread