5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start of 2022 Production.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
FWIW, I asked a friend his recommendation for engine break in after sharing what the manual says. He's no shade tree mechanic (no offense to all those rock solid shade tree mechanics). The dude is a race and performance engineer that has worked all over the place from Indy Car to Australian Supercars and a bunch of places in between. Anyway, here's what he told me and what I plan to do:

"Usually what you want to avoid during break-in is running at light load and the same RPM for long periods of time. So, I don't think it's a problem to go 60-70 (or at least, I don't see why they'd require that). But definitely try to drive at a variety of speeds and loads when you can. Maybe just exit and take some parallel US highway sections when they exist... stuff like that. Especially since that drive is gonna be pretty flat. WOT is good, but only at higher speeds. Don't launch the thing from the light, that's not good for the ring & pinion before they are fully bedded. Engine braking is also good, so you can manually downshift and let it have a little engine braking."
sounds like what I did for the first 300 miles
after that all bets are off

and it really took off.

testcrewman

Reaction score
I asked the guys at the dealership for their advice, and combined it with what it said in the owner's manual (page 147). Basically, it recommends moderate driving the first 300 miles. After intial 60 miles or so, around 50-60mph is desirable. The dealership did say not to set cruise on the highway and just sit there at a static RPM, so I took it on a lot of the frontage roads out of Lake Charles because I didn't want to sit on 50mph on the highway, and got the RPM's fluctuating a bit. 1 tip is to set your gps to avoid highways, so it will direct you to some slower roads. Another recommendation was to give it some full throttle acceleration every so often which I did on the highway once I got over about 100-200 miles of range. There's no requirement but once I hit 1000 miles I just went to normal driving and cruising speeds. I'm sure others do it a bit different.
Great information! Thank you aussie_ram and KWKSLVR for spending the time to answer my questions! Looking forward to my drive home.

kc135t

Reaction score
YoUr tRuCk hAs aLoT oF cHiPs. ThErE's pArTs sHoRtAgEs.
Don't even tell me your Dealer told you that!!! Sheez oh Pete's! You have to be running down the line at the same time as mine is, so you will see a BS SOON!!

Fingers crossed for both of us.

Bavet

Reaction score
Well, it's official. I'm no longer waiting on my ordered truck. I purchased a Laramie GT off the lot. The kicker was that my dealer was finally able to get my truck scheduled for build on Feb 4 but the factory said they could not build it with Blind Spot Monitoring. We all know this is bulls**t. I ordered a truck to get it the way I want it. If I can't get it the way I want it, what's the use of waiting 6 mos for a truck I would have to drive everyday knowing it's not what I wanted. It diminishes the joy of owning and driving the truck. I gave up a few options but added some nice options with the Laramie package and the GT option is pretty cool. I'm back to a 23 gal tank and lost Anti Spin Diff but I gained back Blind Spot, which I really loved while towing our camper. My son was on the fence about a Rebel the dealer had so they made us a package deal. We both got 10% off sticker with the Affiliate Discount as well as other incentives. In this market I thought that was pretty good though I know many of you got better deals elsewhere. I'm happy and that's all that matters.

Attachments

• 2022 Laramie GT Front.jpg
    2022 Laramie GT Front.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022 Laramie GT Side.jpg
    2022 Laramie GT Side.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 28

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Don't even tell me your Dealer told you that!!! Sheez oh Pete's! You have to be running down the line at the same time as mine is, so you will see a BS SOON!!

Fingers crossed for both of us.
Nope. Told I have a March build date. Cuz they don't have the parts, you see.

Also, you live in merica or merica's hat?

mtnbikej

Reaction score
Got my build sheet this morning.....

Ram Chat:

"The RAM has finished the primary build and is waiting on the installation of addtional equipment/packages"

:eek::eek:

I'm guessing it is the Spray in Bedliner.

Last edited:

o4major97

Reaction score
anticipate some additional chip delays due to the earthquake in southern japan. supposed to be temporary however. toshiba had to temporarily shut down a large manufacturing facility.

IronDogg

Reaction score
Thanks 80 and Triple B for providing this information and today it is a GREAT OUTCOME for me and the rest of the folks that got great news today.
Oh my Lord, I am no longer the oldest unfulfilled 1500 order on the forum. The daylight is blinding after coming out of the pit!!!
I'll have to wear sunglasses all day 😁
Thanks Triple B and 80 today we got some great information I can't wait to get my Rebel GT!!!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I asked the guys at the dealership for their advice, and combined it with what it said in the owner's manual (page 147). Basically, it recommends moderate driving the first 300 miles. After intial 60 miles or so, around 50-60mph is desirable. The dealership did say not to set cruise on the highway and just sit there at a static RPM, so I took it on a lot of the frontage roads out of Lake Charles because I didn't want to sit on 50mph on the highway, and got the RPM's fluctuating a bit. 1 tip is to set your gps to avoid highways, so it will direct you to some slower roads. Another recommendation was to give it some full throttle acceleration every so often which I did on the highway once I got over about 100-200 miles of range. There's no requirement but once I hit 1000 miles I just went to normal driving and cruising speeds. I'm sure others do it a bit different.
Honestly, I didn't really do anything special with mine. Drove it around Lake Charles the first day and night I had it, and some the next day, hit the highway and made sure to pass people often, and took a detour around some traffic. After that, I called it good.

DuckySaurusRex

Reaction score
sounds like what I did for the first 300 miles
after that all bets are off

and it really took off.
when in doubt..drive it like you stole it haha. I remember getting my motorcycle and them telling me what to do for break in. i let the thing warm up in their lot then just sent that needle to the moon as i left.

scott82094

Reaction score
I’m only about 250-300 miles from shap. Ram chat said my truck was in transit 12/29. Dealer just texted me this transit chart. He has no idea where the truck is. Anyone know how to read this chart? I didn’t think it would take this long to travel that distance. View attachment 117220
I’m right there with you. Ordered 7/8 and told it shipped 12/31. I’ve had est delivery date pushed back 4 times now to 2/4 and it hasn’t moved from Detroit river yard. My dealer says it doesn’t get on a train, they just put it on a truck and drive it to the dealer from this point but it hasn’t moved.

Even more frustrating is a second truck I ordered 2 months ago showed up at the dealer today but is missing some of the things I ordered so it’s torture not picking that one up while I wait for everything I want

Attachments

• 6093BB41-98C7-48F9-AF72-C5542B7A235B.jpeg
    6093BB41-98C7-48F9-AF72-C5542B7A235B.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 21

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’m right there with you. Ordered 7/8 and told it shipped 12/31. I’ve had est delivery date pushed back 4 times now to 2/4 and it hasn’t moved from Detroit river yard. My dealer says it doesn’t get on a train, they just put it on a truck and drive it to the dealer from this point but it hasn’t moved.

Even more frustrating is a second truck I ordered 2 months ago showed up at the dealer today but is missing some of the things I ordered so it’s torture not picking that one up while I wait for everything I want
that dealer connect form has a jan 24 date

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple of pics from my roadtrip. Just under 2000 miles Lake Charles LA - Las Vegas NV. About 35 hours of driving. This truck is incredible, full credit to the design and build team in Michigan. Comfortable, quiet, smooth, lots of tech but easy to use, spacious, storage spots everywhere you look, just an all round amazing machine. Average 19.8mpg from Lake Charles - Houston - San Antonio - Austin - Amarillo - Santa Fe - Albuquerque - Las Vegas.

View attachment 118203 View attachment 118204
View attachment 118205
View attachment 118209
View attachment 118206
Congrats! Add MFT and Ramboxes and your looking at my truck!!

kc135t

Reaction score
Nope. Told I have a March build date. Cuz they don't have the parts, you see.

Also, you live in merica or merica's hat?
In merica. Ohio actually. Not far from SHAP, although I understand that matters little when it comes to shipment times...

mcd3620

Reaction score
A couple of pics from my roadtrip. Just under 2000 miles Lake Charles LA - Las Vegas NV. About 35 hours of driving. This truck is incredible, full credit to the design and build team in Michigan. Comfortable, quiet, smooth, lots of tech but easy to use, spacious, storage spots everywhere you look, just an all round amazing machine. Average 19.8mpg from Lake Charles - Houston - San Antonio - Austin - Amarillo - Santa Fe - Albuquerque - Las Vegas.

View attachment 118203 View attachment 118204
View attachment 118205
View attachment 118209
View attachment 118206
Awesome looking truck, I really wish I would have known about this forum before I put my downpayment in at my local dealer, I totally regret not using MD. Would have saved me a lot of money. Congrats,

Users who are viewing this thread