5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start of 2022 Production.

Solracer

Reaction score
So I ended up giving the Ceramic Coating a go before I pick it up. $700 for a professional job seemed like a fair deal. I need to ask what kind of warranty is on the coating.
The guy Mark Dodge uses? Let me know how that goes. I'll probably use him.

Haulin192rbs

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I ended up giving the Ceramic Coating a go before I pick it up. $700 for a professional job seemed like a fair deal. I need to ask what kind of warranty is on the coating.
I did the same. A little hesitant about it but they are doing the iron wash (rail dust?) paint correction and UK 3.0 ceramic. Hopefully worth it! I believe it is 2 or 3 year protection and there is a maintenance/reload spray to keep it optimal.

Highwayman

Reaction score
I did the same. A little hesitant about it but they are doing the iron wash (rail dust?) paint correction and UK 3.0 ceramic. Hopefully worth it! I believe it is 2 or 3 year protection and there is a maintenance/reload spray to keep it optimal.
I did it as well because I was shipping and figured it might protect it a bit more on the trip up. It looks great but I have no basis for comparison, nor do I have a before/after in person look.

triple_B

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JVSTBEE

Reaction score
Found 1041 Window Stickers tonight. 6 more forum members with trucks on the way! Congratulations to @james1982, @RebelChefTobz, @Bigman621, @Oakiestate01, @snakebit65, @Bryan720

VINBSWSBStoWSSTATECOLORSERIES
319831 @james1982XX
20​
AlbertaIvoryLimited
332592 @RebelChefTobzXX
16​
LouisianaSilverRebel
334241 @Bigman621XX
2​
WisconsinSilverLaramie
335251 @Oakiestate01XX
8​
OklahomaWhiteRebel
344648 @snakebit65XX
1​
LouisianaPatriotBig Horn / Lonestar
354663 @Bryan720XX
1​
ArizonaWhiteLaramie

@james1982!
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManchuWarrior

Reaction score
Iron wash? What's that?

RebelChefTobz

Reaction score
Found 1041 Window Stickers tonight. 6 more forum members with trucks on the way! Congratulations to @james1982, @RebelChefTobz, @Bigman621, @Oakiestate01, @snakebit65, @Bryan720

VINBSWSBStoWSSTATECOLORSERIES
319831 @james1982XX
20​
AlbertaIvoryLimited
332592 @RebelChefTobzXX
16​
LouisianaSilverRebel
334241 @Bigman621XX
2​
WisconsinSilverLaramie
335251 @Oakiestate01XX
8​
OklahomaWhiteRebel
344648 @snakebit65XX
1​
LouisianaPatriotBig Horn / Lonestar
354663 @Bryan720XX
1​
ArizonaWhiteLaramie

Excited-Andy.jpg

GoTide

Reaction score
It hasn’t shipped? I was told by Ram Chat mine shipped but they couldn’t give an ETA.
I know, right? My last convo with MD indicated it was still in storage awaiting a train car assignment. This afternoon Ram Chat gave me a 5/30 - 6/15 dealer arrival window.

19 days from WS to BS kinda sucked. The potential to double the average time from WS to dealer for Louisiana adds to the suckiness.

Been dealing with this since 1/31 (and to think that this is nothing compared to what many others on this board have dealt with in the past, or are dealing with currently). I dunno.

With that said, nothing that a hi-ball or two of Woodford Reserve can't soothe... 🥃

Solracer

Reaction score
I know, right? My last convo with MD indicated it was still in storage awaiting a train car assignment. This afternoon Ram Chat gave me a 5/30 - 6/15 dealer arrival window.

19 days from WS to BS kinda sucked. The potential to double the average time from WS to dealer for Louisiana adds to the suckiness.

Been dealing with this since 1/31 (and to think that this is nothing compared to what many others on this board have dealt with in the past, or are dealing with currently). I dunno.

With that said, nothing that a hi-ball or two of Woodford Reserve can't soothe... 🥃
Our trucks might be on the same truck! I was told similar dates.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Looks like they just updated the Memorial Day incentives. $500 additional rebate when financed through Chrysler Capital (at least on Rebel for my region). Expires 5/31/2022.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Did someone mention bourbon. . . .

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
The guy Mark Dodge uses? Let me know how that goes. I'll probably use him.
Yea, I guess he's an affiliate. I'm going to take them at their word that he's good, they mentioned it's a full job including paint correction and other stuff. I'll let you know how it looks, but I'm not picking it up until memorial day weekend (I'm too busy this weekend, unfortunately)
I was debating it, too. I've known a little bit about ceramic coatings, but I had to do a little more research before I decided to pull the trigger on it. For a vehicle this size, a professional would charge about $1-2k. You can DIY, but it's a lot of work to do properly and I'm not the kind of person with extra time. I'll be driving my new truck at least 3,000mi in the first month of ownership, THEN I'll have to wash it, compressed air dry, clay bar, paint correct, wipe with alcohol, apply compound, cure, etc.....AND I don't have a garage to do it in.

I bought my Frontier new in 2015. I declined the ceramic coating. I keep it clean and it's still a beauty to this day:
wfgTYA0 - Imgur.jpg
But it does have a lot of swirl marks, micro scratches, and some paint fade in some areas. My biggest enemy in Florida is the continuous rain and UV light. Wax doesn't really last more than a week or 2 before you start seeing the rain sheeting, again. Most cars (Especially Nissans) have faded roofs and hoods.

I'll be keeping and maintaining the Frontier for a long time, and I plan to do the same with the Ram. The Granite Crystal is too nice to be faded and dirty, so $700 should save me a lot of maintenance, and help prevent swirl marks. I'll probably have to do another round in 3-5 years.

22GTRebel

Reaction score
So with a little detail knowledge, confidence and elbow grease you can coat your truck yourself for about $100. I used Adams graphene coating after decon, clay bar and a light polish.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
So with a little detail knowledge, confidence and elbow grease you can coat your truck yourself for about $100. I used Adams graphene coating after decon, clay bar and a light polish.
It'd probably be closer to $300 depending on the product. I was told you'll need about $150 just in a good ceramic coating (on a vehicle our size), plus you need a lot of other stuff, like wash, claybar, microfiber rags, polish, and buffing pads.

I have some knowledge on the matter. I've had to do a lot of paint correction after removing a clear bra from my BMW. This is how I'd imagine the process:
Full 2-bucket wash with dish soap (to remove the wax and other coatings).
Wipe Dry with Microfiber.
Claybar to level the surface and remove deep contamination.
DI/filtered water rinse and compressed air dry.
Polish to fix any remaining imperfections in the paint.
Wipe with microfiber and alcohol to remove any remaining oils.
With gloves and proper applicators, apply Ceramic Coating to just one area.
Buff each area after a specified drying time, and repeat application for another area.
Move fast and buff each area before the material gets too hard or you'll have haze.
Keep the car moisture-free for 48-72 hours.

I live in Florida, I don't have a garage or work shop where I can control the temperature and moisture. It's better to apply in a slightly chilly/shaded environment or it will dry too fast.

For all that material and labor, $700 isn't a bad deal, IMO. I'm a penny pincher and a huge DIY fan, but I don't see this is something I'm willing to do on a full-size pickup truck, outside in Florida. Maybe a Miata, if I pull it into my work's shipping bay on a weekend.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just talked to my dealer - they're saying my ship date is 5/21... two days from now? We shall see - could happen considering I'm only a few days behind some of the recent Limiteds that have started production.

The manager I talked to this morning tried telling me it was going to take a few weeks to get here since it's assembled in Mexico because it's an EcoDiesel... must have forgot his morning coffee or something. It's an Italian engine and the truck is still built in Michigan!

Users who are viewing this thread