5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stake holes

RegularRam

Reaction score
Hi,
As I am still waiting for the Laramie MY 2021 to turn up at the dealer and not having had this sort of vehicle before. I am interested to know if it will come with stake holes and if so can they be used to mount anything from. Are they just a hole in the top bed rail or are they more substantial than that.
Thanks in advance.

NYKBOB

Reaction score
I added the Bullring Stainless Steel Flush Fit Retractable Tie Down Anchors.
This gives me something stronger to tie down to on the top of the bed rail.
These work fine with the flush Rough Country hard tonneau cover I also have installed.
I also installed them into the front of the bed rails but where there was a mark for the cut out but it had to be cut to expose them.
There are a number of videos showing how to install them.
truck-bed-cover-tie-downs.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are 4. The two on the from are covered. The two in the back are not covered. Yes, they are pretty substantial. These are over structural supports in the bed.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

RegularRam

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Gives me something to think about. Perhaps I can build a rack using these slots to put uprights in.
Cheers

DeV

Reaction score
These work fine with the flush Rough Country hard tonneau cover I also have installed.
I also installed them into the front of the bed rails but where there was a mark for the cut out but it had to be cut to expose them.
I guess I wasn't really good at the block shapes in the holes as a kid, but I can't seem to see how this damn thing fits in the hole - do you have to remove your tonneau rails to get it to fit?
I used a heat gun and razer blade to trim the stake pocket, but the bullring just doesn't seem to fit inside....the one way that I see it might work is to remove the rail and then I could MAYBE get the correct tilt angle to get the side bull ring metal piece in...

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I guess I wasn't really good at the block shapes in the holes as a kid, but I can't seem to see how this damn thing fits in the hole - do you have to remove your tonneau rails to get it to fit?
I used a heat gun and razer blade to trim the stake pocket, but the bullring just doesn't seem to fit inside....the one way that I see it might work is to remove the rail and then I could MAYBE get the correct tilt angle to get the side bull ring metal piece in...
Can you loosen the screws any to extend the reach?

DeV

Reaction score
Can you loosen the screws any to extend the reach?
I took the screws completely out and dropped it as far as it will go...I'll try to grab some pics later, although it's been raining all day here....it just seems like the 5th gen ram has extremely small pocket holes....I can angle it to get the front or rear metal piece to go in, but the side metal piece doesn't seem to want to fit, so I think I would have to start with that to get it in, but the only way to angle it puts the top towards the tonneau rail...

DeV

Reaction score
So tonight I decided I was going to get it done...I fought with the bull ring...cut plastic...pushed and forced it in to position...it was a strenuous battle...

Then I went to the other side....made 2 clean cuts all the way around with my razor blade and it dropped right in...

Geez....funny how you become an expert after you do it the first time...

The biggest thing that made it work for me was I expanded each edge of the stake pocket by a sliver all around...it needs the little expansion on all 4 sides to truly show the metal underneath...

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, with a drill (starter holes,) razor blade, and dremmel, I got a pair of 5068 Bull Rings installed in the front stake holes on my 2021 Ram 1500. Wasn't too bad an installation.

Somewhere, I thought I read that the rear stake holes require a different part? Is this correct or am I confusing it with when I was looking at these for our 1996 F-150 longbed???

Theworthyone

Reaction score
View attachment 90178
Did you have to do any trimming or cutting to make these fit?

undertow119

Reaction score
OK, with a drill (starter holes,) razor blade, and dremmel, I got a pair of 5068 Bull Rings installed in the front stake holes on my 2021 Ram 1500. Wasn't too bad an installation.

Somewhere, I thought I read that the rear stake holes require a different part? Is this correct or am I confusing it with when I was looking at these for our 1996 F-150 longbed???
I couldn't find any info on this either, and I got conflicting information from various sellers and from the manufacturer themselves. So I took a chance and ordered two sets of them anyway - the new style (the ones that say "fits 2019-22") will fit in the front, but will NOT fit in the rear. The old style (the ones that say "fits 2009+") will fit in the rear but NOT the front. I happened to have a pair of the old style in my garage from my previous truck and they fit in the rear holes on my new truck - unfortunately they were old and ugly, so I removed them. To make matters worse, the flush fit model in black chrome only comes in the new style. So to fill all 4 holes I would have to either get 2 of the new style in black chrome for the front and two of the old style in silver chrome for the rear (which would look weird), or go silver chrome front and rear with the new style in the front and the old style in the rear. I really wanted the black chrome for all four, but no dice.

So I used a dremel and made a set of the new style black chrome ones fit in the rear stake holes. You just need to cut off the side of the clamp and trim one end of it. It goes in the hole and holds securely that way, and once installed you can't tell it was ever modified. So that is an option. But it shouldn't be that hard. It seems like they should be able to make something that fits both front and rear.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't find any info on this either, and I got conflicting information from various sellers and from the manufacturer themselves. So I took a chance and ordered two sets of them anyway - the new style (the ones that say "fits 2019-22") will fit in the front, but will NOT fit in the rear. The old style (the ones that say "fits 2009+") will fit in the rear but NOT the front. I happened to have a pair of the old style in my garage from my previous truck and they fit in the rear holes on my new truck - unfortunately they were old and ugly, so I removed them. To make matters worse, the flush fit model in black chrome only comes in the new style. So to fill all 4 holes I would have to either get 2 of the new style in black chrome for the front and two of the old style in silver chrome for the rear (which would look weird), or go silver chrome front and rear with the new style in the front and the old style in the rear. I really wanted the black chrome for all four, but no dice.

So I used a dremel and made a set of the new style black chrome ones fit in the rear stake holes. You just need to cut off the side of the clamp and trim one end of it. It goes in the hole and holds securely that way, and once installed you can't tell it was ever modified. So that is an option. But it shouldn't be that hard. It seems like they should be able to make something that fits both front and rear.
Bullring sells a set that fits both front and rear. I was able to get gunmetal (black chrome) for both.

undertow119

Reaction score
Bullring sells a set that fits both front and rear. I was able to get gunmetal (black chrome) for both.

Those did not fit my 2022 in the rear holes. I had to cut off the side of the anchor and trim one end of it, as stated above.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's what I had in the put front and what I just put in the rear stake holes early this morning.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram might have changed the holes for the 22's, who knows. It's been a while, but I seem to remember the rear rings had different anchors than the fronts. Had to put them in a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread