5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeal noise after engine shutoff

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Occasionally when I turn off the truck I hear a high pitch whiney whistley Squeal type sound from somewhere in the dash, I can even hear it outside of the truck and it goes on for a good 10-15 seconds at least.....the first few times I heard it I thought my kid was hiding in the garage making funny noises.....

actually the noise I can most compare it to is when you air up a balloon and barely let air squeal out of it by strething the neck and it makes that funny noise.....

has anyone had this??

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Occasionally when I turn off the truck I hear a high pitch whiney whistley Squeal type sound from somewhere in the dash, I can even hear it outside of the truck and it goes on for a good 10-15 seconds at least.....the first few times I heard it I thought my kid was hiding in the garage making funny noises.....

actually the noise I can most compare it to is when you air up a balloon and barely let air squeal out of it by strething the neck and it makes that funny noise.....

has anyone had this??

Hi @Z mann R2 -
We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Mikemarshallau

Reaction score

has anyone had this??
I hear this frequently in my truck
At first i too thought it was my kids making dumb noises
when i realized it was the kids I always put it down to something in the AC system 'bleeding back' as the unit had stopped running
Would be interested to see where you get with this
Do you have any plans ATM to get it checked

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
AC would be my first suspicion, too. See if it still happens if the AC or defroster hasn't been on for the last five minutes before shutoff.

We're all familiar with compressing air and it getting hot. Refrigerant also works that way, and it also works the other way -- abruptly lower the pressure and it gets cold. So you end up with a bunch of high pressure liquid on one side of the expansion valve and low pressure gas on the other. Abruptly shutting off the AC disturbs the flow and sometimes you can hear hissing or boiling noises, or, as you described, a balloon squealing.

So if you are able to convince yourself it's just the AC, there's nothing to do about it. Nothing is wrong and there is no fix.

remymargo813

Reaction score
its a bad expansion valve. drive around with ac on, shut off the truck and open your hood. watch where the AC lines go into the firewall(left of the engine if youre looking at it) and thats where your expansion valve is. when it makes the sound youll see exactly where its coming from. identified the problem today and dealership is replacing it under warrenty.

nashmax73

Reaction score
its a bad expansion valve. drive around with ac on, shut off the truck and open your hood. watch where the AC lines go into the firewall(left of the engine if youre looking at it) and thats where your expansion valve is. when it makes the sound youll see exactly where its coming from. identified the problem today and dealership is replacing it under warrenty.
Thank you. Mine is doing this now (2020 with 24K miles) so I'll schedule some warranty work before it expires.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine is doing this now (2020 with 24K miles) so I'll schedule some warranty work before it expires.
Hey there,

If you'd like some assistance while your vehicle is being repaired, please know that we are available via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

breilly

Reaction score

has anyone had this??
I have a 21 doing the same thing. i know if i take it in they’ll say oh, there is nothing wrong. I’ll have to make the call and see..

Users who are viewing this thread