5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak sound coming from steering wheel column

Trailbr8ker

Reaction score
I have seen posted on this site different squeaks coming from several places. However I haven't found any post about a squeak coming from the steering wheel column (at least that is where it sounds like it is coming from). It is not a continuous squeak but seems to happen when hitting a bump or sometimes when slowing down. I have adjusted the steering wheel position several times to see if that would help but that did not work. Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue. 2019 limited. Thanks in advance.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could be a suspension squeak that you think is in the steering assembly, but just coincidentally squeaks when you turn the wheel. My 2002 Dakota did that, took me a few days to figure it out, worn out control arm bushing. The slighest steering movement squeaked, drove me nuts.

Good luck!

Tim Statezny

Reaction score
I have seen posted on this site different squeaks coming from several places. However I haven't found any post about a squeak coming from the steering wheel column (at least that is where it sounds like it is coming from). It is not a continuous squeak but seems to happen when hitting a bump or sometimes when slowing down. I have adjusted the steering wheel position several times to see if that would help but that did not work. Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue. 2019 limited. Thanks in advance.
I've had the same issue with my 2019 SR5. If I put pressure on the steering wheel I can stop or minimize the noise. It seems to be coming from a spring attached to the column that can be seen from underneath. I was able to minimize the sound by placing some felt padding between the spring and the metal it sits against. However, now it is getting worse. I'm planning on getting back underneath the steering column to see if I can narrow down where the irritating noise is coming from.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same problem, the dealership replaced the "clock spring" and the problem is resolved so far. It took them about 1.5-2 hrs to replace it

Users who are viewing this thread