5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeak/chirp from front after level

FryGuy97

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum! 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 non-ORG. Just recently (last Tuesday) had a 2in top hat level installed on my truck with 295/70/R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on stock tires. Drove amazingly for the first two days but now there’s a “chirp” coming from the suspension when I go over smaller bumps. Ride quality hasn’t changed, handling hasn’t changed. Still goes down the road smooth and straight. Did look at ball joints and the angles aren’t bad at all,so don’t think that it’d be a ball joint issue. Wanting to see if anyone else has had success on figuring out what it could be. Going to be calling the installer tomorrow and discussing with them as well but wanting to see if its something I could figure out myself first

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
There's a TSB out about the brakes chriping a bit. I noticed this sound as well, brought to dealer, they lubed up the shims and chirp went away for a while. Could be that coincidentally...

FryGuy97

Reaction score
There's a TSB out about the brakes chriping a bit. I noticed this sound as well, brought to dealer, they lubed up the shims and chirp went away for a while. Could be that coincidentally...
Going to have the brakes looked at by my local Mopar dealer. Took it back to the shop that installed the level and they’re thinking it’s the passenger strut, which wouldn’t surprise me cause the driver side was damaged from the factory when they installed it. Trucks got 63k on it so not terribly surprising

FryGuy97

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum! 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 non-ORG. Just recently (last Tuesday) had a 2in top hat level installed on my truck with 295/70/R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on stock tires. Drove amazingly for the first two days but now there’s a “chirp” coming from the suspension when I go over smaller bumps. Ride quality hasn’t changed, handling hasn’t changed. Still goes down the road smooth and straight. Did look at ball joints and the angles aren’t bad at all,so don’t think that it’d be a ball joint issue. Wanting to see if anyone else has had success on figuring out what it could be. Going to be calling the installer tomorrow and discussing with them as well but wanting to see if its something I could figure out myself first
I should also not that my truck non-ORG/ORP and only has a 2in SuperLift spacer level, so ball joints shouldn’t be an issue and the angles aren’t bad at all

Attachments

• D5662061-A666-4FED-8024-256A7D3677F3.jpeg
    D5662061-A666-4FED-8024-256A7D3677F3.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 11FAF493-F7AE-4D97-B8F6-743B7439B88B.jpeg
    11FAF493-F7AE-4D97-B8F6-743B7439B88B.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 25ABDFF1-5211-4AA9-9536-8FFB672A06D5.jpeg
    25ABDFF1-5211-4AA9-9536-8FFB672A06D5.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 27
  • C8B6A71D-D2A6-4681-B6E8-F1568823832E.jpeg
    C8B6A71D-D2A6-4681-B6E8-F1568823832E.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 28

cervelo15

Reaction score
Following and there are several threads out on this. Two biggest conclusions are brake clips or sway bar end links. I wanted to try to Isolate the sound, so I started process of elimination and sprayed the brake clip with brake cleaner. No change and chirp was still there. Now passenger side just started yesterday.

Next step is to replace the sway bar end links with SuspensionMaxx links. I’m hoping that fixes the issue.

FryGuy97

Reaction score
Following and there are several threads out on this. Two biggest conclusions are brake clips or sway bar end links. I wanted to try to Isolate the sound, so I started process of elimination and sprayed the brake clip with brake cleaner. No change and chirp was still there. Now passenger side just started yesterday.

Next step is to replace the sway bar end links with SuspensionMaxx links. I’m hoping that fixes the issue.
I don’t think mine is brake related as applying the brakes doesn’t change anything as far as sound goes. Going to crawl underneath it tomorrow with it up in the air and tighten everything I can down again. It sounds like a sway bar or sway bar link to me, so hoping that changes it but on my way to work this morning, The passenger side did seem excessively “bouncy” and had more lean towards that side so the strut does seem like it could use replaced unfortunately

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The brake chirping isn't affected by applying the brakes. It happens over small bumps. Mine comes around every 6 months and I just lube them up. Usually by then I'm close to a tire rotation so I just do it then while the tires are off.

FryGuy97

Reaction score
The brake chirping isn't affected by applying the brakes. It happens over small bumps. Mine comes around every 6 months and I just lube them up. Usually by then I'm close to a tire rotation so I just do it then while the tires are off.
Thanks for the clarification on that. Read through a few threads that put me under the impression that the brake chirp would stop if the brakes were applied, but now know it’s still on the table as an issue

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The brake clips cause the squeak and the sway bar end links will cause a clunk over light bumps. All 4 of my end links were loose and the dealer recently tightened all of them. It has definitely made the ride different as I can now feel every single light bump in the road. It feels as if my tires are inflated to max pressure and there's no give. I now understand why some have said the ride in the Rebel is harsh. It was not such a bouncy/rough ride in my Z71 Silverado, or my Camaros. I might have to get the Bilstein 5100s if this continues

FryGuy97

Reaction score
The brake clips cause the squeak and the sway bar end links will cause a clunk over light bumps. All 4 of my end links were loose and the dealer recently tightened all of them. It has definitely made the ride different as I can now feel every single light bump in the road. It feels as if my tires are inflated to max pressure and there's no give. I now understand why some have said the ride in the Rebel is harsh. It was not such a bouncy/rough ride in my Z71 Silverado, or my Camaros. I might have to get the Bilstein 5100s if this continues
I wish I had the Rebel but all I could find in my area for a reasonable price was a Laramie. Love it regardless.

As far as the squeak goes, just got done going through and tightening everything up, and regreasing everything and it’s still squeaking over bumps at normal speed (25 or so). Based on the fact that it has normal “give” when bouncing one side versus not budging on the other, I’m going to go ahead and have new struts put on on Friday and have my local Ram dealer perform the work from the brake clip TSB when it goes in for a Speedo recalibration towards the middle of May

FryGuy97

Reaction score
Just had my truck in at the custom shop that installed my level to get that strut replaced and that’s definitely what it was. Rides WAY better, no weird sounds or anything. They showed me the strut that was taken off the truck and it was shot. You could shake it and hear something rattling around inside the strut. And luckily they only charged me for the part and alignment so saved a few hundred on labor costs. Back to being happy as can be with this thing. Now to just get my wheel wells trimmed up so that it stops rubbing at random times

Users who are viewing this thread