5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squat? (Rear bed drop under load)

Random Guy

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out how much squat or deflection the back of my truck will get under load. I have a 2019 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Bighorn with 6'4" box (not the classic). I don't have the off-road package so stock coil springs with the V6 eTorque Engine. I plan on putting a four wheel camper (4WC) Hawk Shell in the back which will weigh about 1,100 lbs. My truck side door sticker says I have a max payload of 1714lbs, so I won't exceed the max payload (except once I get the whole family in with food and water and what not I'll be close). Does anyone know what the coil spring constant is for the rear coils? Or happen to know how much they'll compress and the back end drop with 1,000 lbs in the box?

The reason I ask is that I have an 8'-0" garage header height and the truck with the camper on the back with the cabover bed and vent sticking up will be a pretty tight fit without the rear squat. I just want to know what, with the weight of the camper, it'll drop below my threshold so I can back it into my garage and take it off for winter storage.

I do plan on putting aftermarket airlift suspension in eventually, so that I can raise it back to level for driving and going off road with the camper on the back.

Any advice or suggestions on any of this are welcome!

Thanks!

Robalo2718

Reaction score
You're going to squat a lot. I have a similar truck to you, although it is a quad cab. My truck squats roughly 1.5" with my current topper (approximately 200 lbs), wooden storage/camping frame (another 150lbs), gear/food (300lb), and full gas tank (184lbs). I am likely going to buy some TufTruck rear coil springs in the next 2-8 weeks.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
You'll likely squat a couple inches.
Look at AirLift 1000's (HD). Easy to install and you don't have to have an onboard compresssor. I used them in my previous truck and loved them. They prevented squat. I just ran the air valve to the back bumper and mounted it next to the license plate. Easy to put air in when I needed it for loads and then release to about 8psi for all other times.

Random Guy

Reaction score
About 1 inch every 400lbs.
Awesome, thanks! It's still tight with that. The camper I was thinking of going with is a Four Wheel Camper. They sit about 63" tall including the vent and a 5/8" shim to account for my bed wall height. Camper weighs just a tad over 1000#, so about 2-1/2" drop which gets me below my threshold. My other option is an All Terrain Camper. Those sit a little shorter at about 59" which gets me under my garage header with 2" to spare WITHOUT relying on squat. Plus I save about $4000. They're made by a guy that used to work for 4WC, but split off to do his own thing.

Random Guy

Reaction score
You'll likely squat a couple inches.
Look at AirLift 1000's (HD). Easy to install and you don't have to have an onboard compresssor. I used them in my previous truck and loved them. They prevented squat. I just ran the air valve to the back bumper and mounted it next to the license plate. Easy to put air in when I needed it for loads and then release to about 8psi for all other times.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I plan on getting an Air Lift System!

Users who are viewing this thread