5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sprint Booster

Reaction score
Hoping I can get some help here, I installed the Sprint Booster today and I had all kinds of trouble lights come on. Engine Light, Trailer Tow, Traction Control etc.. all light my dash like a Christmas Tree. I also had other issues, like the pushing the pedal down and the truck takes off super slow and eventually starts to pick up speed. It also keeps the truck in high revs, like 1200-1300 rpm and the truck just wants to drive itself. Much like it's keeping the throttle open regardless of pedal position (in this case my foot is OFF the pedal).. All connections were tight, clipped in and everything.

I've since removed it until I can figure out what is going on.

Any insight?

20200723_135247.png

20200723_135253.png

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear this as mine went nice and smooth. Did you buy yours locally so it’s easy to return ?

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear this as mine went nice and smooth. Did you buy yours locally so it’s easy to return ?

Yeah I wish mine would have went smooth, but unforutnaly it did not.

Yes I purchased mine from a main distributor for Sprint Booster (Canada) and is close to my work. When I have a little more time I will try it again and see what happens. So it will be an easy return.

popcenator

Reaction score
Did you keep the key away from the vehicle while installing, and wait until the truck was completely shut off? I think it states something like that in the instructions and I've heard people having issues when they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I had the key in my pocket and just had the door open... Nothing was started or running at the time. Only things on were the normal things that come on when you open the door.

It's worth a shot when I try it again later.

popcenator

Reaction score
That might be it. I know it states to keep the key a certain distance away, not sure what that distance is exactly. I had my key in the house while I installed mine.

popcenator

Reaction score
Just went back and read the online install guide, I guess it doesn't mention a distance, but does say to have the keys removed from the vehicle. Maybe I read somewhere to keep them away lol.

Reaction score
Ok so,

I went back out and this time left my keys out of the truck about 40 feet away. I waited 15mins then installed the sprint booster. Started it up and truck wouldn't start and start throwing some other codes. Would try to start but kept turning over without success. Finally it turned over after a few tries but was running very rough. Can't remember the exact messages, but messages about idle and whatever else.

I took the SB out of the truck again, reinstalled back to factory and everything was working just like normal. No warning lights, nothing. After I confirmed my truck was back to normal I gave it a 3rd go around. This time I turned the SB connector around and installed the factory connector onto the SB connector. Started up right away and now it seems to be working. So I guess the connector can clip in both ways, but only one way is the correct way. This is weird because usually connectors are designed so they can only go in 1 way. Anyhow, I took it for a little test drive around my parking lot and man what a difference it makes in throttle response. Tried Race 9 for a second and woah that is crazy, I currently have it set at sport 4.

Now with that being said, all the lights are off EXCEPT the engine light, which is still coming on. I am going to see if it goes off on my way home from work. If not then I am going to (A) plug in my BlueDriver scan tool and see what the code is and reset it or (B) unplug it and return it back to the store. I do like it and hope I can get it to work with no engine light, but if I can't then I will return it and try another one.

So I guess the first few times were my mistake, but the last time everything is working like it should minus the engine light.

Anyone else have an engine light issue? I'm wondering if the computer needs to reset itself?

popcenator

Reaction score
Glad you got it situated. I didn't not have any check engine lights. It might take a little bit to go away since the first couple tries were turned around. I would think they'll go away soon.

Reaction score
Glad you got it situated. I didn't not have any check engine lights. It might take a little bit to go away since the first couple tries were turned around. I would think they'll go away soon.

Yes everything is working and I've cleared the codes. Just have to let the truck clear out the permanent code after a few miles of driving and all is good. No engine lights anymore.

This little device so far is impressive. Upshift and downshifts are great. I know some people think all it does is change the throttle position but I'm of the belief is opens the throttle plates faster. And even if it is a placebo effect I'm old with that. I'll still love it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This little device so far is impressive. Upshift and downshifts are great. I know some people think all it does is change the throttle position but I'm of the belief is opens the throttle plates faster. And even if it is a placebo effect I'm old with that. I'll still love it
You're correct. It changes the speed that the throttle plate opens. You can see it working in their demo video...

popcenator

Reaction score
Yeah, it opens faster. Look up Tony the Truck Guy on YouTube, he does some pretty good install and review videos. He does a couple on the Sprint Booster that are also pretty good.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Hoping I can get some help here, I installed the Sprint Booster today and I had all kinds of trouble lights come on. Engine Light, Trailer Tow, Traction Control etc.. all light my dash like a Christmas Tree. I also had other issues, like the pushing the pedal down and the truck takes off super slow and eventually starts to pick up speed. It also keeps the truck in high revs, like 1200-1300 rpm and the truck just wants to drive itself. Much like it's keeping the throttle open regardless of pedal position (in this case my foot is OFF the pedal).. All connections were tight, clipped in and everything.

I've since removed it until I can figure out what is going on.

Any insight?

View attachment 63071

View attachment 63072
This happens to mine when I tried to install it. I removed it and have not tried to install since. That was about 8 months ago lol

Reaction score
This happens to mine when I tried to install it. I removed it and have not tried to install since. That was about 8 months ago lol

I flipped my connector around and that solved my problem. My stupidity for being in a rush and not really looking at the install pictures for the orientation of the adaptor plug.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I e had mine in for so long till I’ve forgotten I have it, that is until I drive another Ram.

popcenator

Reaction score
I took mine off and may sell it. My transmission seems to get real sloppy with it on in the lower gears. Ever since I took it off I've had better low speed shifting. Not a huge issue, I just find it annoying. It worked as designed otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread