5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring Rubbing on Fox 2.5 Coilover

Morenar

Reaction score
I just had the lift installed about 3 weeks ago and noticed that the spring is rubbing the shock housing. Anyone had this happen before? BDS has been great and are sending me a new coilover but wasn't sure what could be causing this.
You can see in the picture where towards the bottom the metal has been rubbed against. Only happening on Passenger side front.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 49

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely visible. Stuff happens. Sounds like BDS is taking care of it. Fox would be just a diligent at taking care of it as well. Get it swapped out and get after it. You are going to love those shocks. But you have to fiddle with them to get them where you want them.

Morenar

Reaction score
Definitely visible. Stuff happens. Sounds like BDS is taking care of it. Fox would be just a diligent at taking care of it as well. Get it swapped out and get after it. You are going to love those shocks. But you have to fiddle with them to get them where you want them.
Yeah, it took some trial and error with those DSC's. I finally have them at 6 clicks in for low speed and 3 clicks in for high speed. So far so good. My wife says too much body roll on anything below 4 clicks low. I actually like the plushier ride but she likes the sportier ride.

HAY-MAN

Reaction score
I just had the lift installed about 3 weeks ago and noticed that the spring is rubbing the shock housing. Anyone had this happen before? BDS has been great and are sending me a new coilover but wasn't sure what could be causing this.
You can see in the picture where towards the bottom the metal has been rubbed against. Only happening on Passenger side front.
I had the BDS FOX installed on my 21 Rebel in Sept. After a hunting trip with mild Offroad use I noticed same rubbing in same spot as yours. It eventually pulled that black shaft wipe seal which is threaded in off of the shock body and it laid in the bottom spring. The shop that did the install replaced the coilover and so far all is good. Just went and looked at it again and no rub. I'm very happy with the suspension and the 35x11.5 tires. Mine was driver side. The shop said sometimes you can pull the coilover and rotate spring ie reclocking it and it will shift the spring bind or buckling to a different point and not rub. Bit of a design issue on Fox's part.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Any chance you have a pic of your truck handy?

I'm curious how level or raked you are with the 1.5" Eibach rear coils?

Did you get 2.5" front lift with the PEs..or 1.5" since you're a Rebel.

I'm trying to figure out what my heights and stance would be with the Fox 2.5 PEs...and then what rear spring to use. I was thinking the Carli Rebel rear coils, but in communicating with Tyler, he suggested I'd probaby need the Rebel HD, like @boogielander is using. I have RBs, MFT, Mopar Tonneau, BUG, RC 1/2" heavy rubber bedliner, center step, Class IV Hitch, etc. I might be similar to him weight-wise idk.

I think Carli's rear coils for my heavy truck could end up being...
STD -0.5", Rebel 0.0", RebelHD +0.5"
Each could be +0.5" though depending on how truly heavy I am or not.

I'm thinking the Eibach 1.0" & 1.5" could end up being 0.5" & 1.0" for me...so your truck and @boogielander could help me get a grip on where each spring would put me. You both have the Fox 2.5 PEs, but Eibach 1.5" rear for you and Carli RebelHD rear for him. I suspect your both pretty level(??).

Interesting to note, Carli's rear Ram 1500 coils are DRVR & PASS specific. The DRVR looks a bit longer to offset the "Left Lean" of these 1500s. Tyler hasn't responded back to confirm the difference, maybe @boogielander can??

I'm currently at.....
LF 36.875" RF 37.125
LR 38.75 " RR.39.00"

I'd like to balance out to.....
Front 39.25" (+/- 0.25")
Rear 40.00-40.50" (~0.75-1.0" rake)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm trying to figure out what my heights and stance would be with the Fox 2.5 PEs...and then what rear spring to use. I was thinking the Carli Rebel rear coils, but in communicating with Tyler, he suggested I'd probaby need the Rebel HD, like @boogielander is using. I have RBs, MFT, Mopar Tonneau, BUG, RC 1/2" heavy rubber bedliner, center step, Class IV Hitch, etc. I might be similar to him weight-wise idk.

I'm thinking the Eibach 1.0" & 1.5" could end up being 0.5" & 1.0" for me...so your truck and @boogielander could help me get a grip on where each spring would put me. You both have the Fox 2.5 PEs, but Eibach 1.5" rear for you and Carli RebelHD rear for him. I suspect your both pretty level(??).

Interesting to note, Carli's rear Ram 1500 coils are DRVR & PASS specific. The DRVR looks a bit longer to offset the "Left Lean" of these 1500s. Tyler hasn't responded back to confirm the difference, maybe @boogielander can??

I'm currently at.....
LF 36.875" RF 37.125
LR 38.75 " RR.39.00"

Front 39.25" (+/- 0.25")

Thanks for the help!
Sure. I talked to the Rep at Eibach on the phone. He was of the opinion that it could be up to 1.5. I was hoping for just the one so it would be the same but I think I got the extra half. I don't overland in the modern conventional way. I don't cook. I bring sammiches from home so no need for a fridge and I'm not doing dishes or pans. So I don't haul nearly as much weight as y'all

Attachments

• 20230309_125945.jpg
    20230309_125945.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 24

Ready Go

Reaction score
Sure. I talked to the Rep at Eibach on the phone. He was of the opinion that it could be up to 1.5. I was hoping for just the one so it would be the same but I think I got the extra half. I don't overland in the modern conventional way. I don't cook. I bring sammiches from home so no need for a fridge and I'm not doing dishes or pans. So I don't haul nearly as much weight as y'all
I'd be very happy to get the same result as you..LOVE the look!

I'm even locking in on that same Fuel wheel..in grey or bronze.

Whether I go with Carli RebelHD or Eibach 1.5", I think with my bed weight I'll end up netting 1.0" rear, and 2.5" front with the Fox 2.5 PEs.

Thanks for all the help here!!

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be very happy to get the same result as you..LOVE the look!

I'm even locking in on that same Fuel wheel..in grey or bronze.

Whether I go with Carli RebelHD or Eibach 1.5", I think with my bed weight I'll end up netting 1.0" rear, and 2.5" front with the Fox 2.5 PEs.

Thanks for all the help here!!
Post up some pics when you get it all done.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm currently at.....
LF 36.875" RF 37.125
LR 38.75 " RR.39.00"

Front 39.25" (+/- 0.25")

Thanks for the help!
so when I did mine 14 months ago I THINK i saw the DRVR and PASS markings on the springs but I can't really confirm. I'm still crippled at this time so going under truck is not an option right now (perhaps Tyler will get you an answer faster than I can go under the truck)
Last I measured when I did the last oil change (last November, I believe) I was sitting at around 39.5" all around (measured via middle of the fender all the way to the ground, passing the center of the wheel).
For the Rebel HD coils, it is listed to bring 1" of rear lift with up to 500lb of constant weight, which is pretty on par with my truck even though I'm pretty sure my rear has slightly over 500lb constant. With your weight in the rear it does make sense that you are close to what I have in the rear but I'm sure you don't have more than that lol.
My rear axle weight as outlined:
GFC ~295lb
Drawers ~208lb
Drawer contents with camping equipments ~50lb max
Camper electricals (lights, charger, wiring, etc) ~40lb

Total weight without my fata*s ~593lb max.
Total weight with my fata*s ~800lb

One thing to note: even with my fata*s upstairs at camp the springs don't really compress and drop in height.

Now, with the Eibach option, you need to find out the weight capacity of the springs. Lift height is one thing, but it's useless information without knowing what is the maximum weight capacity those springs can handle before compressing.

Alternatively, you can go with the Ironman 4x4's rear springs:
2" in the rear with up to 660lbs.
I ran the medium duty 3" ones (up to 880lb) on my 4Runner before with RTT (300lb+), drawers, fridge in the trunk, and stuff and they really gave me 3" in the rear with all the weight and still rides great.

Ready Go

Reaction score
so when I did mine 14 months ago I THINK i saw the DRVR and PASS markings on the springs but I can't really confirm. I'm still crippled at this time so going under truck is not an option right now (perhaps Tyler will get you an answer faster than I can go under the truck)
Last I measured when I did the last oil change (last November, I believe) I was sitting at around 39.5" all around (measured via middle of the fender all the way to the ground, passing the center of the wheel).
For the Rebel HD coils, it is listed to bring 1" of rear lift with up to 500lb of constant weight, which is pretty on par with my truck even though I'm pretty sure my rear has slightly over 500lb constant. With your weight in the rear it does make sense that you are close to what I have in the rear but I'm sure you don't have more than that lol.
My rear axle weight as outlined:
GFC ~295lb
Drawers ~208lb
Drawer contents with camping equipments ~50lb max
Camper electricals (lights, charger, wiring, etc) ~40lb

Total weight without my fata*s ~593lb max.
Total weight with my fata*s ~800lb

One thing to note: even with my fata*s upstairs at camp the springs don't really compress and drop in height.

Now, with the Eibach option, you need to find out the weight capacity of the springs. Lift height is one thing, but it's useless information without knowing what is the maximum weight capacity those springs can handle before compressing.

Alternatively, you can go with the Ironman 4x4's rear springs:
2" in the rear with up to 660lbs.
I ran the medium duty 3" ones (up to 880lb) on my 4Runner before with RTT (300lb+), drawers, fridge in the trunk, and stuff and they really gave me 3" in the rear with all the weight and still rides great.
THANKS A TON FOR THAT INFO!
I probably don't have as much rear weight as you, but maybe not terribly far off.
I'll check out those Ironman springs also.👍

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
THANKS A TON FOR THAT INFO!
I probably don't have as much rear weight as you, but maybe not terribly far off.
I'll check out those Ironman springs also.👍
i based it off the fact that Carli indicated the HD springs give you 1" gain with MFT and RB, equivalent to 500lb constant weight of no MFT and no RB.

Users who are viewing this thread