5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring Compressor

Kxlexus

Reaction score
For those of you who are installing the 5100 Bilstein front shocks. What style of spring compressor are you using? I am undecided if I will upgrade the front shocks yet. I already have a top hat spacer. I may just leave that in place as my truck sits the way I like now.
However, I have a hard time leaving things alone and am considering going to the Bilsteins, Fox or Icon shocks. If I do the Bilsteins I will need a spring compressor. I want something safe to use but I may only use it once and would prefer not to spend a lot on a one time use tool.

Thanks,
Steve

spinxt

Reaction score
For those of you who are installing the 5100 Bilstein front shocks. What style of spring compressor are you using? I am undecided if I will upgrade the front shocks yet. I already have a top hat spacer. I may just leave that in place as my truck sits the way I like now.
However, I have a hard time leaving things alone and am considering going to the Bilsteins, Fox or Icon shocks. If I do the Bilsteins I will need a spring compressor. I want something safe to use but I may only use it once and would prefer not to spend a lot on a one time use tool.

Thanks,
Steve
I just used the screw type you can rent at any auto parts store. It was a little shady, but if you just work slow and balance the compression equally on both brackets, you’ll be good. I used an 18v Milwaukee impact to make it easier on the arms. You’ll need to get a special tool to get the top shock nut off....or if you have a set of pass through sockets, you can use a 1/4 extension to hold the shock shaft and an 18mm on the the nut.
Or you can take the strut out, take the spacers down to your local meinekee and have them do that portion with a wall mounted compressor. They’d probably charge you about $100

Bubba33

Reaction score
I would change it out and not run the spacer on top of the strut. You're changing the geometry.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
I just use the screw type that you can purchase at any parts store. I got mine at advance. Just make sure you get the strut type that goes on the outside of the spring and not the coil type that goes inside the spring.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
These fit the factory coils and can be purchased at any local parts store or on Amazon.

Watch a few videos on how to use them safely and do not use an impact on them. There is a ton of stored energy in these springs when compressed and can do SERIOUS damage if not taken seriously. Just take your time and keep both sides close to even. If you are near Virginia I'd be happy to help and have the tools.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! What is the special tool to get the shock nut off? Just want to make sure I have everything I need before getting started

Users who are viewing this thread