5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spray-in Liner vs Drop-in Liner

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I had a drop in a liner on my 2003 and sprayed in liner on my 2009 and 2020. I actually liked the drop in the best. I have heard great things about bed rug.

2019Raven

Reaction score
I have had both drop in and for the last 4 Rams (1500, tow 2500‘s and a 3500) spray-in liner (Rhino and Line-X) I prefer spray-in. Non slippery and protects the bed of my truck. The one drop-in let water underneath and started rusting any scratches in the bed.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've been putting drop in liner with a mat in my trucks since the '80's and never had the bed rust, I have run caps for the last 25 years though. if you throw a log, cinder block or brick in bed it doesn't dent or scratch the bed, bed sides or wheel wells. If I haul sand or mulch, I take it out a rinse the bed and liner, takes about 15 minutes. Below is a pic of my latest liner with the storage on the rear sides, 5-gal fuel containers and milk creates fit nicely in them. This a pic before the mat and ARE Z2 cap.

View attachment 140698
Those storage areas on the sides are a great idea. If I ever decided I wanted a drop-in, I think I would get one like that.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had just a bed mat in my first Ram, and a spray-in on my last 2 Rams. The spray-in has been more durable than I expected, though I'm at just over 6k miles on this Ram and had only 25k miles on the last one. I guess it depends on your expected usage and probably climate as much as anything else. I routinely load mine with bags of mulch and landscap stones, or move furniture items for family, tables and chairs for parties, etc, and haven't had any issues with mine.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As HemiDude mentioned it depends on usage
drop ins will take abused better IMO. in my 4gen with drop in I would put any kind of building materials, scoops of sand, dirt, gravel
wood pallets, furniture
First weeks on my 5th gen that came in with a spray in I put in a couple of wood pallets and it sure seem like I would need to add a rubber mat or something if I was going to continue to carry something like pallets on it to keep it in good shape. Haven't since and didn't get the mat but like other have said it's a good combo spray in plus mat

Maxx102

Reaction score
So I am on my 5th pick-up truck in my life time and I have pretty much everything under the sun.

93 Ford ranger - Aftermarket drop-in that was "basically" for the truck but not form fitted. Protected the bed from the cargo side of things, but because it vibrated and shifted, it rusted out the bed.

01 F-150 - Factory drop in - this was a lot better than the ranger...no sliding around...very little vibration....didn't notice any issues.

2010 Tundra - Bed rug.....loved this thing. Protected cargo...no shifting or vibration issues, easy on your knees when you are moving cargo around. If you truck camp, makes a nice soft foundation for a trucktent.

2016 F150 - Loved the bed rug so much, got a 2nd one....again no issues.

2021 Ram - Dealership automatically sends all of their trucks to the Line-x place three blocks away. Customers don't usually get a choice. Love the Line-x....not slippery at all...more like 80 grit sandpaper....But I also have - you guessed it, a bed rug. I actually bought it before I bought the truck not knowing it would come with a Line-X. No biggie.

Don't have one myself, but my friend has a Weathertech Underliner bed mat...he loves it and hasn't any issues.

Just my my 2¢

gofishn

Reaction score
Had a 79 F-250 with a drop I had forever. Had a 97 Dodge 1500 and 99 Dodge 2500 both with drop ins. 99 I traded off in 2014 for my 2014 Ram 1500 that had line-x.

Took out the liner, on my 99 to check teh obx and it looked brand spanking new. liner had not been out for one single second, since new either.

2014 Line- peeled off the tailagte first laod of stuff I tossed in teh bed. Could literally pick a corner of the knick and peel it back, like dead skin.

Swore I would never get another....kinda like I sworeoff Rama fter my failed lifter and cam. Yeah, FanBoy that I am , got a 2022 Ram 1500 and paid. i paid for a spray in liner.

Go with what you want but if its a spray in get it form reputable isntaller, thats been around for years and will honor a lifetime replacemnt and repiar waranty.

jessed1

Reaction score
I have a line-x spray in with a XLT bed mat from bedrug.

Users who are viewing this thread