5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPOTLESS WINDOWS

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who has a sure and safe way to remove the water and pollution spots from exterior windows? I can get my entire truck spotless and shining except for those pesky windows. Looking for recommendations.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I usually just use armorall glass wipes then finish with a coating of Rainex.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Outside of cleaning the window, you'll want to get down in the weatherstripping seal around the windows and take a putty knife and wrap a small microfiber around it and dip it in some all purpose cleaner. You'll be surprised what your towel looks like after cleaning that inner seal area. Without cleaning that track out, you can have clean, spotless windows but the first time you roll down the windows you'll be just tracking that wet crud sediment back up on the window and that stuff will leave water spots.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who has a sure and safe way to remove the water and pollution spots from exterior windows? I can get my entire truck spotless and shining except for those pesky windows. Looking for recommendations.

Good old fashion paste wax will get them spotless and make them easier to maintain. Keep an old toothbrush or detail brush handy in case you get any paste on the molding.

jkm312

Reaction score
There is a product called "Invisible Glass." I found it at Target, AutoZone, OReily's, Home Depot, Walmart, you get the idea. It flat out works. First time you use it, you may have to go over the windshield a couple of times to get the streaks off because it strips everything off. I always use it on the inside, every so often on the outside. I use RainEx on the outside.

Sometimes water spots are more a function of how hard your water is.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a product called "Invisible Glass." I found it at Target, AutoZone, OReily's, Home Depot, Walmart, you get the idea. It flat out works. First time you use it, you may have to go over the windshield a couple of times to get the streaks off because it strips everything off. I always use it on the inside, every so often on the outside. I use RainEx on the outside.

Sometimes water spots are more a function of how hard your water is.
I’ve been using Invisible Glass for many years. It’s the best cleaner on the market. Just be sure to use a dry MF afterwards to follow up so it’s streak free.

geotex1

Reaction score
Invisible Glass from Stoners has been my normal glass cleaner for more than 39 years. Safe for tiny films. Vinegar in a spritz bottle will take out hard water spots that are young. After that, you need to use a glass polish. One of my favorites is the one from Griots. After a thorough polish, RainX is perfect. Another option, Klasse All in One is not just for your paint! It is amazing for polishing glass and leaves a RainX-like finish. It's also great to polish the lenses of plastic/acrylic lights.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
I use my Porter Cable DA w/ a Meguiars pad and either 210 or 110 depending on the severity. I've tried the vinegar, the hand applied rubbing compound, name brand window polishing paste et etc. None of that works for me. But once I do get the windows free from spots I apply Rain-X right after and reapply every other month.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This product is great:

If not enough or very heavy water spot etching, than you can combine it with these glass pads (if you own a polisher), but for the most part, it should be sufficient on it’s own, or used with a magic eraser.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Jnecco

Reaction score
Try using a window cleaner and wipe it down with a claybar youd be surprised how well it comes out

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For hard water spots, the best I've tried is 50/50 solution of distilled white vinegar and water. Use a microfiber towel and spray with the solution, should get your water spots removed really quickly in glass.

It's amazing how well it works, even on painted services. We had a car next to a water sprinkler for a while and left spots that not even our trusty cleaner wax could remove easily. A few seconds with a wet microfiber (soaked in white vinegar & water) remove the spots in literally seconds.

Just make sure if you use on painted surface, wash it right after removing the spots and re-coat with wax.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
If you really want to get all the built up grime embedded on the windows, a clay bar, followed by a magic eraser works great! Then, like others have said, finish it off with invisible glass cleaner.

LaFlame

Reaction score
I have had the same hard water spots on my windows that no amount of scrubbing would make go away. I found a water spot remover from Meguiars at Autozone I believe. It has a rubbing compound grit like consistency but works fantastic. Stay away from window mouldings with it.

mophead

Reaction score
I have been using straight non sudsy ammonia for years for build up, residues from waxes/protectants, bugs AND dreaded water spots. If they aren't really bad I put a couple of glugs worth in a bucket of hot water. The microfiber rags are the only way to fly but you need to make sure they are clean. I then follow up with windex and they are spotless with zero streaks. Don't forget to clean the wipers while you're at it.... the ammonia gets them completely clean too.

For whatever reason whenever I use our water through hoses it is water spot city. I have swapped hoses and materials and it hasn't helped. If I get the water from the kitchen sink, no problem. Go figure, of course not conducive for washing and rinsing the car. I find myself sudsing up a sponge with soap and washing while it rains on it. No drying necessary and no spots. Okay it's nuts but it works for me. Don't like all the spotting/drying/wax chemicals they add at the carwash. Goop on your paint job.

As several mentioned above if the windows are etched it's time for a polish. I worked for Safelite (before they were called Safelite) and we used cerium oxide powder with a thick felt pad ( designed specifically for the purpose). That was a lot of years ago. Looks like several above have good alternatives for that.

CAUTION: Not sure about ammonia and tint films. So I'd suggest you check first.

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
I am currently using ProElite Glass Cleaner from Autozone and it works fine. I've used invisible glass before and it is also nice. I have used a claybar on windows before for real bad water spots. I also use any rag-in-a-box type paper towel instead of micro-fiber towels. Just a preference and I've got good results.

Users who are viewing this thread