5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splash Guards Effective?

RJS

Reaction score
I have the MOPARS and I like them. People say they are garbage and rub the paint off; I haven't experienced that in almost two years of use....I don't really care either because they will be there as long as I own the truck anyway. Some complain about the pockets; I haven't had an issue with the pockets...stick a hose in there when I wash it they clean out and drain out (they haven't been a problem). I also heard the newer MOPAR ones were updated to have a filler for the pockets. Most of the naysayers don't even have the MOPAR ones. I have them and they are just fine with me.
Yup!! If you live where it never freezes. I threw mine away because they filled up with crud and it won't wash out in the winter. They also rubbed my fenders and I was lucky to get them off so all I had to do was rub out the marks.
The other suppliers don't include PPF because they like giving it away.
Hopefully you are correct that the newer versions are updated and not the original design they supplied.
All that said, the original Mopar ones were by far the best looking of the bunch and I wish I could have kept them.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Husky looks good and has good reviews here.
I can see turning the front wheels would provide access to drill the single hole recommended. What about the rear? Is it possible to drill and install the single screw without removing tires?
I installed mine without using the optional drill hole - I have the rear wheel liners so I used a piece of doucle side 3M automotive tape to sucure the flap to the wheel-well liner. It seemed a bit flimsy but I've had no issues with them for several months including touchless and normal car washes and driving in slush etc.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can see turning the front wheels would provide access to drill the single hole recommended. What about the rear? Is it possible to drill and install the single screw without removing tires?

Absolutely, I did my install in about 15 minutes, you just need to turn the tires opposite directions a few times, you will have all the room in the world to do it. Make sure not to use socket wrench or anything with leverage for the bolts, it is purely hand tight with a hand driver, do not overtighten.

For the optional 4th mount, I did it with a regular drill, the wheel needs to be canted to opposite direction when drilling the hole. First pre-drill the hole in the flap after you remove the 3M tape. You will see a small pre-indented circle on the flap. Drill that first.

Then if working in the left side, turn the wheel all the way to the right. You will have plenty of room to drill, super easy since you already drilled the hole on the flap, follow up and go through the liner. Then install the hardware.

If you look at post 50, you can see my install with notes & pics .... https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/to-mud-flap-or-not.11424/page-3

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could if you have a very small drill.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I have one of these for times like those...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You could if you have a very small drill.

I have one of these and a set of hex shank drill bits...

Works great for installing/removing the mud flap screws too.

Edit: You beat me to it Brian LOL

41magmag41

Reaction score
I went with the weathertech, fit over the small factory ones and took me maybe 15 min to put all four on. getting a little splash om rear fenders but thats to be expected. wash the truck once a week and no problems.

FarmerJohn

Reaction score
I installed my husky flaps without removing the tires. Including drilling the hole for the lower screw on the interior of the wheel well.

pikemike

Reaction score
I installed mine without using the optional drill hole - I have the rear wheel liners so I used a piece of doucle side 3M automotive tape to sucure the flap to the wheel-well liner. It seemed a bit flimsy but I've had no issues with them for several months including touchless and normal car washes and driving in slush etc.
So if I have rear wheel liners, I can’t use the 4th screw? I’d prefer the more secure approach if possible.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So if I have rear wheel liners, I can’t use the 4th screw? I’d prefer the more secure approach if possible.
No, you can use it. It will sit different because of the liner. These weren't designed with the liners in mind, but work fine anyway.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't know about them for a long time either.

Once I did get one, though, it has come in handy a lot.

pikemike

Reaction score
UPDATE: Went with Husky. Installed optional screw.

They look great. I can’t wait for some snow and slush! Thanks to all for your help.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: Went with Husky. Installed optional screw.

They look great. I can’t wait for some snow and slush! Thanks to all for your help.
As an alternative for the future, I used a lighter and a short drywall screw to bore the hole. I’ve done it this way for years and have yet to removed a rear tire even on the wife’s Beetle where there is very little room.

Grab a 1-1/2”, 2” or 2-1/2” drywall screw, hold it with a pair of pliers, heat it up with a throwaway butane lighter like you might use to start the BBQ grill or a campfire, and get it good and red. Use it to melt your hole and you’re in business. No need to buy a right angle drill or any other tool.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have them (or any other splash guard/mud flap option). I was posting them as an option for anyone looking for a true mud flap vice splash guard.

If I get any it will probably be the Weathertech ones. I prefer the smaller, rounded OEM ones but the cup style of the flap is not practical and the Husky ones are too long for my taste.

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
I have the Huskys. I have the Laramie flares and the Huskys work great with my negative offset wheels.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you like them? Do they look too large for the truck? Can you take any pics?
We have these on our Limited. They are very small, and don't protect much. I was excited when they became available, because I had the heavy duty rubber mud flaps on my 2017 Rebel. Those were much larger, and protected very well. After getting them I was very disappointed. I should have returned them. My advice is to not waste your money on them. I installed a set of molded splash guards from Amazon on our Laramie. They actually protect better.

Attachments

• Mopar mud flaps.jpg
    Mopar mud flaps.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Molded mud flaps.jpg
    Molded mud flaps.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread