5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splash Guards Effective?

pikemike

Reaction score
I typically add manufacturers accessory splash guards front and back on my new trucks. I saw in my 2020 Longhorn that there are little itty bitty splash guards already in place.

Are these effective? Can I install typical splash guards on this vehicle with these already in place or removed?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look at the line created if you start at the bottom of the tire to the bottom of the splash guard you will see that they are not much more than a small extension of the fender. They are more decorative than anything else.

Several options to add larger splash/mud guards. The two most popular I've read of are the Mopar and Weathertech ones. They are designed to fit over the splash guards that come with the truck. I'm not sure if both have options for with/without the OEM fender flares.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Those factory ones will do nothing. I have the Husky splash guards and they work really well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't expect to block all the mud/dirts, yes you can install the splash guards on top of the little splash guards.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are some good threads on this if you search mud flaps. I have a 2019 bighorn without fender flares and those little splash guards from the factory did nothing to protect from gravel and road slush etc. After looking at options I went with Husky aftermarket (the solid plastic no-drill) and am very happy. The husky seem bigger than the weathertechs on these trucks. After installing I see far less spray/dust on the sides.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
There are some good threads on this if you search mud flaps. I have a 2019 bighorn without fender flares and those little splash guards from the factory did nothing to protect from gravel and road slush etc. After looking at options I went with Husky aftermarket (the solid plastic no-drill) and am very happy. The husky seem bigger than the weathertechs on these trucks. After installing I see far less spray/dust on the sides.
What he said ^^

I have the Husky ones too. Helps a lot, but I also have a black truck soo..:cautious:

pikemike

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I’m glad I can add these easily. The Husky look really good. I’m also considering the embossed Mopar.

Does anyone have experience with the Mopar guards? I’m looking at the ones attached from Mopar parts.

Attachments

• 0DB5A7CD-A13C-465D-8CAE-A8C3A2E1A277.jpeg
    0DB5A7CD-A13C-465D-8CAE-A8C3A2E1A277.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 125

Bearman95

Reaction score
No experience with any of them, I personally think the trucks looks better without them! But if I had to pick one for looks, that would definitely be the Mopar!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The factory Mopars are the shortest, have a inexplicable cavity that allows dirt and debris to enter and make the most contact with painted surfaces which they will rub off over time. Honestly garbage, stay away.

The best ones are the Husky, but I would team them up with a set of running boards if you want actual protection, especially from rocks being thrown up from the front tires hitting the rear quarter panel and chipping it (especially the rear painted fender flares get chipped), which is very common due to the wide hips on the RAM.

If you don't like that option, it's highly recommended you PPF the lower sides and rear front quarter of your bed for rock protection. I personally have the front Husky guards and factory black running boards. I rather have a clean look, but the Husky look good and only cost $40 or so for the front set. I got my OEM boards for $100 from a local seller. Much cheaper than $900 or so for PPF.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are many options for splash guards/mud flaps. Which one is best? Well that's definitely going to vary depending on who replies. I wish they would offer the same heavy rubber mud flaps I had for my 4th gens. They really protected the truck well against mud and rock chips. And were flexible for when you go off-road. For my 5th gen I went with Teecom splash guards I bought from Amazon for $40. The fit was excellent and the coverage is on par with most of the others that cost a lot more. And there is no need to remove the little factory splash guards. These are for trucks with oem fender flares...

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I’m glad I can add these easily. The Husky look really good. I’m also considering the embossed Mopar.

Does anyone have experience with the Mopar guards? I’m looking at the ones attached from Mopar parts.
FYI - if you decide to go with the Huskies they are crazy cheap for some reason on amazon - I bought them from Amazon a few months back for $45 but they look to be even less now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HFBLNRY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Jbrech

Reaction score

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the MOPARS and I like them. People say they are garbage and rub the paint off; I haven't experienced that in almost two years of use....I don't really care either because they will be there as long as I own the truck anyway. Some complain about the pockets; I haven't had an issue with the pockets...stick a hose in there when I wash it they clean out and drain out (they haven't been a problem). I also heard the newer MOPAR ones were updated to have a filler for the pockets. Most of the naysayers don't even have the MOPAR ones. I have them and they are just fine with me.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would these fit the 2021’s too? Amazon says no but not much changed I don’t think...? I have a 2021 Rebel ordered and looking to get some things ahead of time. Thanks
No idea if they will fit 2021 - the husky site doesn't even have 2021 RAM as an option so it seems they haven't released a new design. Took a quick look at the weathertech site and they show the same part number for the 2020 and 2021 model so probably the husky's will work. Important to note they are different part numbers if you have factory fender flares.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Would these fit the 2021’s too? Amazon says no but not much changed I don’t think...? I have a 2021 Rebel ordered and looking to get some things ahead of time. Thanks

They will absolutely fit, there is no difference in exterior design from 2019 - 2021 that could effect the fit. Amazon says no because they haven't been updated regarding fit.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They have the heavy-duty rubber ones but they are splash guards not mud flaps:

I installed those on our Limited. They are nothing like what they had for 4th gens. They're very small, and don't even cover as much as the Teecom's I put on our Laramie. Definitely not worth what we paid for them, and I don't recommend them.

pikemike

Reaction score
The Husky looks good and has good reviews here.
I can see turning the front wheels would provide access to drill the single hole recommended. What about the rear? Is it possible to drill and install the single screw without removing tires?

vincentw56

Reaction score
The Husky looks good and has good reviews here.
I can see turning the front wheels would provide access to drill the single hole recommended. What about the rear? Is it possible to drill and install the single screw without removing tires?
You could if you have a very small drill.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread