5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedometer Is Incorrect

mdw3998

Reaction score
I was driving by one of those police trailers that tell you your speed. I looked down at my speedometer and it was 5MPH faster. I downloaded 3 speed apps and they all verify my speedometer is wrong. Besides annoying, it's adding mileage to the truck

Anyone else?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not on my Rebel, my mph is exact.

It's pretty common especially among European makes, that the mph will read higher than actual by 3-5 mph. By law, they can show higher than actual, but never lower than actual. It is a pain that its not exact, but usually the odometer is not tied to the mileage. Make sure you reset your odometer and confirm it's reading accurately so you don't get short changed on your warranty.

But since my mph is exact on my truck, especially with the large 33" tires I have, you may want to ask the dealer if they can correct it. It may only require a re-calibration. Did you get aftermarket tires by chance? They sell speedo calibration tools, but hopefully you won't need to buy anything.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say, on all three Ram 1500s that I've owned the analog and digital speedometer readings matched a GPS reading within a few tenths of a mile per hour. Have you verified the odometer?

Tires and tire pressure can make a difference, as well as some of those roadside radar speed trailers could be off as well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 May 2018. Now at 017558 miles.

JTD

Reaction score
SOLVED. After verifying tranny and rear end specs are correct they downloaded build software.

I’m having this same issue. My speedometer is 1 mph higher than the digital gauge. Can you explain more of what the build software is? It’s been to the dealer twice for software updates. Nothing has changed at all.

XmikeX

Reaction score
I’m having this same issue. My speedometer is 1 mph higher than the digital gauge. Can you explain more of what the build software is? It’s been to the dealer twice for software updates. Nothing has changed at all.
Bump, I'm having the same issue does anyone know the fix or have had this fixed?

Psyop2314

Reaction score
My analog speedo is about 2 mph slower at 70mph the a GPS and Mt digital speedo... kind of annoying. Anyone have a fix?

XmikeX

Reaction score
My analog speedo is about 2 mph slower at 70mph the a GPS and Mt digital speedo... kind of annoying. Anyone have a fix?
From what I have gathered is the dealership might be able to flash the truck and get it to match up. I know some people use aftermarket tools to recalibrate the speedo's

Users who are viewing this thread