5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedo Calibrator vs Tuner

rob989_69

Reaction score
Ok, just to start, I understand the difference between the two. The big question I have is, do You think a Superchips Tuner ($499) is worth the cost difference vs a Speedo Calibrator ($149)? I am going to a 295/60/20 tire, I'm most interested in shift points and fuel economy (yes I know) that a tuner might provide. I know the calibrator corrects speedo, does it also correct shift points? I have a pedal commander so performance is a non issue for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ok, just to start, I understand the difference between the two. The big question I have is, do You think a Superchips Tuner ($499) is worth the cost difference vs a Speedo Calibrator ($149)? I am going to a 295/60/20 tire, I'm most interested in shift points and fuel economy (yes I know) that a tuner might provide. I know the calibrator corrects speedo, does it also correct shift points? I have a pedal commander so performance is a non issue for me.
As far as I know, no. It only corrects tire size.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your looking to go that far and grab a full on tuner. Your plan is to keep the truck for long haul, with possible upgrades down the line. I’d recommend imo, a full out tuner with ecm swap. Ethics can come into play here on warranty side. Your call... At the same, pay to play right lol

rob989_69

Reaction score
I do agree with the pay to play part. I really don't have any issues swapping the PCM. I'm willing to take the risk.

To complicate things I just came across the tazer dt. Which seems very interesting to me. Corrects for tire size but does a whole lot more. I may go that route then do a full tuner down the line with custom tunes.

rob989_69

Reaction score
I had one in my Jeep previously. Worked out well. I have decided to go a different route though. Found a post on here about the Tazer DT, looked into it. It calibrates speedo, but does a bunch of other things that I'm interested in having so I went that way. It sits in the middle price wise at $350. I may do a tuner down the line but we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online