5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker Upgrade

Jayturk

Reaction score
Hi forum,
I have read through the different posts concerning speaker upgrades and they have been very informative. I will be upgrading dash, front door, and rear doors. In the near future, center dash and rear roof. I am installing 4 ohm speakers, will I also need to install 4 ohm resistors inline to try to maintain, as close as I can, the factory impedance? I previously owned a Challenger, replaced the dash speakers and had to disable my parking assist because the beeping was extremely loud. I would rather not have to redo that situation. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi forum,
I have read through the different posts concerning speaker upgrades and they have been very informative. I will be upgrading dash, front door, and rear doors. In the near future, center dash and rear roof. I am installing 4 ohm speakers, will I also need to install 4 ohm resistors inline to try to maintain, as close as I can, the factory impedance? I previously owned a Challenger, replaced the dash speakers and had to disable my parking assist because the beeping was extremely loud. I would rather not have to redo that situation. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Assuming you have the HK system the factory impedance is 3 or 4 ohm(believe its the same for the Alpine). Only the base 6 speaker system is 8 ohm.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s fairly straightforward if you’ve read up on the brand of speakers you want. Other things would be understanding removing the door panels, wiring in phase vs out of phase (some existing wiring is out of phase) and how it might affect your ANC....sometimes swapping the door speakers causes anc issues which can be fixed by either switching around the phase with the door speakers or just disconnecting the anc using a bypass harness. The stock stereo upgrade thread (and others) cover this. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Jayturk

Reaction score
Assuming you have the HK system the factory impedance is 3 or 4 ohm(believe its the same for the Alpine). Only the base 6 speaker system is 8 ohm.
I have the "Alpine" system, but I also had the "Alpine" system in my Challenger.

Skidowntown

Reaction score
I wanted the HK system, but none of the configurations I've found w/the colors, etc that I want have it. They are all Alpine. Is the HK that much better? Assuming I can beef up the Alpine as well, for some of that extra charge that would have come paying for the HK.

CharlieP

Reaction score
It’s fairly straightforward if you’ve read up on the brand of speakers you want. Other things would be understanding removing the door panels, wiring in phase vs out of phase (some existing wiring is out of phase) and how it might affect your ANC....sometimes swapping the door speakers causes anc issues which can be fixed by either switching around the phase with the door speakers or just disconnecting the anc using a bypass harness. The stock stereo upgrade thread (and others) cover this. Good luck and keep us posted.
I would bet the out of phase is on purpose to simulate Depth of field and surround sound

FloridaRamJax

Reaction score
Hi forum,
I have the base system and am curious....does the center dash grill have the wiring in place since the Alpine system includes a center dash speaker?

Jayturk

Reaction score
I have the base system and am curious....does the center dash grill have the wiring in place since the Alpine system includes a center dash speaker?
I have the "Alpine" and the center speaker is stock. Not sure if it's wired for a speaker w/o the "Alpine" setup.

Users who are viewing this thread