5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker upgrade (Alpine 9 spk)

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I just got finished upgrading the spks in my 2020 Ram. Here I will post what I learned. I know there is a huge but confusing thread and a lot of my info came from it.

All the factory spks are 2 ohm. The Metra adapters are wired backwards(ones I had anyway). If you look at the back of the factory spk with the connectors at 6 oclock the right side is the positive.(verified by 9v batt test). Take care to get the speaker polarity correct and there won't be any issues with the noise canceling system. Get one backwards and it's a $%^ show.

I used Infinty Reference spks which are 3 ohm. 6x9's fit in the front doors just fine don't believe Crutchfield. There are 3, 3.5 spks in the dash and 6x9's in each door. Front doors are doing bass only, rears are mids. Also 2, 3.5's in the rear headliner which I left stock. I also left the stock Sub woofer. Aparently it has 3, 2 ohm voice coils if what I read is correct.

The results... It's a vast improvement in sound quality. It would be nice to have a better harder hitting sub but with the idiosyncrasy of the of the factory amp and the noise canceling system I'm probably going to leave that alone.

I may have lost a little volume with the 3 ohm spks but I suspect they are higher efficiency than stock so its likely about the same as before.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I ever touch anything(when I finally get a chance) I'm going to de-pin the anc microphones. I seldomly get the weird worble from it but it's enough that I will do it.
But I want to put a ported box in the factory sub location, I have a couple subs(6.5's) that would be perfect...if the depth works out

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

KJ13

Reaction score
I just got finished upgrading the spks in my 2020 Ram. Here I will post what I learned. I know there is a huge but confusing thread and a lot of my info came from it.

All the factory spks are 2 ohm. The Metra adapters are wired backwards(ones I had anyway). If you look at the back of the factory spk with the connectors at 6 oclock the right side is the positive.(verified by 9v batt test). Take care to get the speaker polarity correct and there won't be any issues with the noise canceling system. Get one backwards and it's a $%^ show.

I used Infinty Reference spks which are 3 ohm. 6x9's fit in the front doors just fine don't believe Crutchfield. There are 3, 3.5 spks in the dash and 6x9's in each door. Front doors are doing bass only, rears are mids. Also 2, 3.5's in the rear headliner which I left stock. I also left the stock Sub woofer. Aparently it has 3, 2 ohm voice coils if what I read is correct.

The results... It's a vast improvement in sound quality. It would be nice to have a better harder hitting sub but with the idiosyncrasy of the of the factory amp and the noise canceling system I'm probably going to leave that alone.

I may have lost a little volume with the 3 ohm spks but I suspect they are higher efficiency than stock so its likely about the same as before.
This is a great post - I appreciate your sharing. I am looking to replace my Alpine's with these speakers. One question for you... did you select the 2-way or 3-way 6x9's?

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I got 3 way 6x9's. If I had to do it over I would get components for the front and not hook up the tweets as they do bass only. Not sure about the back doors as they do mids mostly, 3 ways to be safe there.

GladdBag

Reaction score

How did you confirm the polarity with a 9v battery? I just swapped my factory dash speakers out with the Metra 72-7902 adapters without checking anything.

sppb32

Reaction score
For the dash i recommend this JBL

Don't bother replacing the 6x9 on the front doors if you are not going to use an aftermarket amplifier, they are bass only and i don't think you can find a better one for the job with the stock amplifier, i had all 4 of them playing a 10hz tone on the bench, very impressive for a factory speaker

Last edited:

sppb32

Reaction score
How did you confirm the polarity with a 9v battery? I just swapped my factory dash speakers out with the Metra 72-7902 adapters without checking anything.
You can even use a AAA battery, connect the negative terminal of the battery to one connector on the speaker and the positive to the other, if the speaker cone moves forward you got the polarity correct ( the connector you have the positive terminal of the battery is the positive terminal of the speaker and the other is the negative), if it moves backwards you have the polarity reversed.

Users who are viewing this thread