5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spark plugs

SpikeMike

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the spark plugs on their 3.6 Ram yet? My truck is getting close to 100k miles. I got a quote from the dealership for $2000. I think that includes new coils as well, but still seems high. Guess I'll be doing it myself. I changed the plugs on my 3.6 Grand Cherokee. I know you have to remove the upper intake, so its a serious job, but I know that I can do it. The upper intake and equipment is a little different on the 1500. I'll try to document the process and post it either here or on Youtube.
Anyone have any experience on this?

SpikeMike

Reaction score
I ordered spark plugs and the upper intake gaskets. Going to go ahead and order a set of coils as well. Don't want to do this job again if a coil goes bad.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had over 120K on my Grand Cherokee with OEM coils. If anything, you could always just do the driver side, since passenger is easy to swap.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone changed the spark plugs on their 3.6 Ram yet? My truck is getting close to 100k miles. I got a quote from the dealership for $2000. I think that includes new coils as well, but still seems high. Guess I'll be doing it myself. I changed the plugs on my 3.6 Grand Cherokee. I know you have to remove the upper intake, so its a serious job, but I know that I can do it. The upper intake and equipment is a little different on the 1500. I'll try to document the process and post it either here or on Youtube.
Anyone have any experience on this?
Coils generally don't go bad. Would be an added expense you may never need to do. But if it makes you feel more confident, wouldn't hurt anything other than your bank account

afphinfan

Reaction score
I'm past due for mine to be done ... its on my radar for when things slow down for me in a couple of months. Let us know how it goes and documenting the process is much appreciated! I've also heard changing out the oil filter housing is a must but honestly have never had an issue; something I'll keep an eye on. Lastly, I am trying to determine what other items I want to tackle on my own and ones to farm out to a local mechanic. Truck runs perfect at 129,000 miles which is a pile for a 2020. Down to "only" 25k miles per year now :ROFLMAO: .

Jedi9

Reaction score
May be a good time to replace the PCV valve, may be easier to get to with the intake off

Users who are viewing this thread