5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spark plug coil gone bad

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Just shy of 25000 miles and rough starting and idle. Engine light on. Took to dealer and spark plug coil bad. Is this a common problem?

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
thanks. Just took it back for the third time in a week for the same problem. Dive it home from the dealer fine. remote start the next morning starts then shut off after just a minuet or two. Check engine light comes on and it runs rough.

Dealer first time in updated the computer. said there was a tech bulletin on it.
Second time: got a cylinder 8 miss fire. Replaced spark plugs and coil.
This morning turn on and engine light on again? Starting to get Pissed. The invoice said they switch the coil with another and the code followed it.

This is starting to suck

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
thanks. Just took it back for the third time in a week for the same problem. Dive it home from the dealer fine. remote start the next morning starts then shut off after just a minuet or two. Check engine light comes on and it runs rough.

Dealer first time in updated the computer. said there was a tech bulletin on it.
Second time: got a cylinder 8 miss fire. Replaced spark plugs and coil.
This morning turn on and engine light on again? Starting to get Pissed. The invoice said they switch the coil with another and the code followed it.

This is starting to suck
Not common at all.
You probably have a different issue and they didn't realize what it is just yet...
I'd say it's more of a control module issue than a mechanical issue.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
18900 miles and mine started with a rough idle/skip and CEL,at the dealer this morning, hopefully it's resolved.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
just got it back,the dealer claims it needed a computer update,idk,it runs perfect again.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
My 21 with 19,000 mies goes in tomorrow morning for rough idle, misfire codes and service start stop system.
Tom

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
Hope you have better luck getting it resolved that I have. My 2019 has had misfire issues on and off since about 10k. Currently its back in the shop for cylinder 3 misfire. This issue they have been working on for over a month. They gave it back to me after swapping a head to "fix" the issue and now it misfires on Cylinder 3 anytime there is moisture in the air....rain, snow, washing the truck. And of course each time you take it back they tell you....well you don't have an appointment so it will be at least a week before I can get you in and we currently don't have any loaner vehicles for you. The last time they were waiting on parts for over 2 weeks. So frustrating considering the money you spend on a vehicle that it can't even get to 36k without having major issues. I have extended the warranty out to 100k due to these issues so that I know it will never be my problem to pay for.

muzikmafiatim

Reaction score
So cylinder 3 had a bad injector. They fit me in today!!

So recap of my misfire issues. 2019 cylinder 5 had a bad injector, Nov 2021 cylinder 7 had bad compression so they swapped the head, and then yesterday cylinder 3 had a bad injector.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So cylinder 3 had a bad injector. They fit me in today!!

So recap of my misfire issues. 2019 cylinder 5 had a bad injector, Nov 2021 cylinder 7 had bad compression so they swapped the head, and then yesterday cylinder 3 had a bad injector.
Some'in fishy is going on with this motor

minmar10

Reaction score
mine has 18k and misfire on cylinder two. They have had my truck for 2 weeks, told me they opened a engineering case on it. Said they think it may be lifters and they do not have a ETA.

GWillings

Reaction score
Changed the coil and both plugs on cylinder 1, problem is now gone. For how long though is my question.

BMF

Reaction score
Had my 19 in for a cylinder 1 misfire. Needs a new coil and plug. Apparently they are considered a wear part and is not covered under the extended warranty. Only have 45,000 miles. Manual says they are a 100,000 mile part.

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my 19 in for a cylinder 1 misfire. Needs a new coil and plug. Apparently they are considered a wear part and is not covered under the extended warranty. Only have 45,000 miles. Manual says they are a 100,000 mile part.
Yea unfortunately they explicitly call out spark plugs as only being covered under the 2 year / 24k miles emissions warranty.

However, the MOPAR extended warranty does call out coils as covered. You may want them to re-evaluate their position.

1661969952379.png

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coil AND plug sounds a little fishy. What are the odds of BOTH being bad? Or is the dealer just not able to determine which one, and throwing everything at it?

BMF

Reaction score
Coil AND plug sounds a little fishy. What are the odds of BOTH being bad? Or is the dealer just not able to determine which one, and throwing everything at it?
It seems they changed both because they couldn’t determine if the coil or the plug were the culprit. But, since the fix everything has ran great. MPGs have gotten better also.

Users who are viewing this thread