5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire winch not working

saladbar

Reaction score
I recently dropped the spare tire for one of my friends that was getting their tire painted. To stop the end of the winch swinging around, i retracted it all the way up so it was snug, but not overtightened.

I just tried to re-lower the winch end so I can put my spare back, got about 3 full rotations out of it - but now the winch doesn't seem like it wants to engage. I will turn the tire iron, it will resist, I put more force (WAY more force than what was necessary the first time) and it will make a pretty substantial *CLUNK*, the tire iron gives, and I am able to turn it another 1/8th of a turn, and then it will *CLUNK* again fairly loudly and the winch won't lower, and it's back to the amount of force needed as before to turn it again.

Have any of you had this experience and how did you solve it if you did?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently dropped the spare tire for one of my friends that was getting their tire painted. To stop the end of the winch swinging around, i retracted it all the way up so it was snug, but not overtightened.

I just tried to re-lower the winch end so I can put my spare back, got about 3 full rotations out of it - but now the winch doesn't seem like it wants to engage. I will turn the tire iron, it will resist, I put more force (WAY more force than what was necessary the first time) and it will make a pretty substantial *CLUNK*, the tire iron gives, and I am able to turn it another 1/8th of a turn, and then it will *CLUNK* again fairly loudly and the winch won't lower, and it's back to the amount of force needed as before to turn it again.

Have any of you had this experience and how did you solve it if you did?
Sounds like it is tangled. You will probably have to remove the mechanizim.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
turn it counterclockwise a few turns when you feel the resistance. then try again. also pull on it a bit as well when you turn it clockwise to lower it.

saladbar

Reaction score
turn it counterclockwise a few turns when you feel the resistance. then try again. also pull on it a bit as well when you turn it clockwise to lower it.
I have been doing both of those things with no change unfortunately. I may just replace it all together.

Sounds like it is tangled. You will probably have to remove the mechanizim.
I'll have to do that tomorrow and find out if I can get it untangled.

Thanks for your replies all, I will update once I have more info.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been doing both of those things with no change unfortunately. I may just replace it all together.

I'll have to do that tomorrow and find out if I can get it untangled.

Thanks for your replies all, I will update once I have more info.
yeap in that case out with the old and in with the new!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For future reference, if there is no tire on the winch you need to reach under and pull down as you are turning it. It needs the weight to pay out the cable

Users who are viewing this thread