5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the 18” spare that came with my ORG BackCountry. Blew a tire 3 1/2 miles from the nearest paved road. Drove on the flat till I got to high ground. Fun times.

The factory scissor jack sucks on soft ground. Lesson learned. Always pack essential tools to do the job.

View attachment 173786
My factory ORG spare came on a 18" steel wheel. Not sure if anyone ever figured out the rhyme or reason for who got the aluminum wheel and who got the steel wheel.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My factory ORG spare came on a 18" steel wheel. Not sure if anyone ever figured out the rhyme or reason for who got the aluminum wheel and who got the steel wheel.

Steel or alloy, really doesn't matter.
It's an 18 inch piece of junk. At least with the ORG you get a real tire though.

Gren71

Reaction score
I know the tire is absolute junk...is the aluminum rim not meant to travel more than 50miles? as in if I replace the crap tire with a decent one will it run for a longer distance until I can get the damaged tire remaired?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know the tire is absolute junk...is the aluminum rim not meant to travel more than 50miles? as in if I replace the crap tire with a decent one will it run for a longer distance until I can get the damaged tire remaired?
The wheel is just a wheel. Replacing the tire and you can use it just like a normal one.
Just use a tire calc to get a tire that matches your current wheel\tire diameter within 1% of so.

Aluminum is just painted and lighter than steel. It doesn't matter which one you get for functionality.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many a time I’m still on the road at 02:00 so a flat tire halfway between no where and having to stay at the Bates Motel is something that is unacceptable.

So I had my dealer order me a matching rim and an OEM 20” tire so that makes my truck eligible for a five tire rotation.

Ok I’m lazy and I don’t want to get out my spare tire tool kit under the passenger seat every time I want to check the pressure on my spare tire.

I’ve read here the arguments on mounting your tire with the valve stem up and the valve stem pointing down.

I’m an up kind of guy.

So to make checking the spare tire pressure easier I ordered:

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Locking Impact Extension, 33"

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Deep Metric Socket 13mm, 12 Point

Makita A-97053 Impactx 3/8″ x 2″ Socket Adapter

Utoolmart 3/8 Inch Drive Sliding T-Handle Socket Wrench

I tried the 8 Point Socket 1/2” and while it fits the 13mm 12 point deep drive fits like a glove.

If you use a 24” extension you are to close to your bumper and if you use a non-locking extension your socket can come off.

Taping your socket on is one option or just get the locking extension.

Now you can use your cordless power drill to raise and lower your tire.

The sliding T-Handle is to break loose the tire for lowering and to make the final snug when stowing the tire.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Many a time I’m still on the road at 02:00 so a flat tire halfway between no where and having to stay at the Bates Motel is something that is unacceptable.

So I had my dealer order me a matching rim and an OEM 20” tire so that makes my truck eligible for a five tire rotation.

Ok I’m lazy and I don’t want to get out my spare tire tool kit under the passenger seat every time I want to check the pressure on my spare tire.

I’ve read here the arguments on mounting your tire with the valve stem up and the valve stem pointing down.

I’m an up kind of guy.

So to make checking the spare tire pressure easier I ordered:

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Locking Impact Extension, 33"

GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Deep Metric Socket 13mm, 12 Point

Makita A-97053 Impactx 3/8″ x 2″ Socket Adapter

Utoolmart 3/8 Inch Drive Sliding T-Handle Socket Wrench

I tried the 8 Point Socket 1/2” and while it fits the 13mm 12 point deep drive fits like a glove.

If you use a 24” extension you are to close to your bumper and if you use a non-locking extension your socket can come off.

Taping your socket on is one option or just get the locking extension.

Now you can use your cordless power drill to raise and lower your tire.

The sliding T-Handle is to break loose the tire for lowering and to make the final snug when stowing the tire.
Could go with 1/2" drive socket and extension and be able to use your 1/2" drive electric impact that you already have out for the lug nuts. ;)

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few years ago someone had a flight to make at the DFW airport.

I figure either sex was involved or their job was at risk.

The parking garage at Terminal A -

1704254785416.jpeg

1704254806822.jpeg

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could go with 1/2" drive socket and extension and be able to use your 1/2" drive electric impact that you already have out for the lug nuts. ;)

A few years ago the wife had a flat on the way to work.

I launched a rescue mission figuring in a mere 10 to 15 minutes she would be on her way and I would once again be the hero.

The factory OEM lug wrench just wasn’t long enough to over power the lug nuts.

I gave it my best and yes I could have stood on the lug wrench but at my age I don’t bounce like I used to.

A large lag bolt had made a huge gash in the tread so just pumping it up with my 12v air compressor and limping back home wasn’t going to work.

She took my truck to work and I remained behind to wait for AAA.

What should have been a quick tire change turned into a four hour ordeal.

That night I took a stroll down the automotive aisle at Amazon and bought three of each for the entire fleet in my garage.

GEARWRENCH 1/2" Drive Extendable Flex Handle/Breaker Bar

TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Thin Wall Impact Flip Socket Set (6-Piece)

I figure with the flip socket set if some damsel in distress needs her tire changed I have almost all bases covered.

After the issues I had with my wife’s car I suggest when you get a new car to inspect what the OEM has provided you to change a tire on the side of the road.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A few years ago the wife had a flat on the way to work.

I launched a rescue mission figuring in a mere 10 to 15 minutes she would be on her way and I would once again be the hero.

The factory OEM lug wrench just wasn’t long enough to over power the lug nuts.

I gave it my best and yes I could have stood on the lug wrench but at my age I don’t bounce like I used to.

A large lag bolt had made a huge gash in the tread so just pumping it up with my 12v air compressor and limping back home wasn’t going to work.

She took my truck to work and I remained behind to wait for AAA.

What should have been a quick tire change turned into a four hour ordeal.

That night I took a stroll down the automotive aisle at Amazon and bought three of each for the entire fleet in my garage.

GEARWRENCH 1/2" Drive Extendable Flex Handle/Breaker Bar

TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive Thin Wall Impact Flip Socket Set (6-Piece)

I figure with the flip socket set if some damsel in distress needs her tire changed I have almost all bases covered.

After the issues I had with my wife’s car I suggest when you get a new car to inspect what the OEM has provided you to change a tire on the side of the road.
I have a 3/8 M18 impact wrench with a thin walled plastic coated socket along with a torsion bar. U had a battery sitting in my truck for a year not used and it still was over 75% (cordless impact wrenches use no juice anyways)
I release my spare by hand, takes me less than 30 seconds (and another 30 seconds to assemble the rod).
I just use an air compressor once it's mounted if I need.

My only problem is a jack. I only have the oem one under my seat and I don't really trust it. I've looked into electric ones to replace my floor jack at home as I don't have a garage and all my tools are downstairs but I couldn't find anything cheap and trustworthy.
I had one of those bottle jack/stand combo things but it died in 2 weeks inside the shipping box sitting under my kitchen table.

Users who are viewing this thread