5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire (theft prevention)

AAR#2

Reaction score
After owning my 1999 Cummins for better than 20 years I went for a 2020 Rebel Eco-diesel just prior to the pandemic.
I had my spare stolen from my 1999 the 2nd week I owned it, prompting me to install a MOPAR wench key and a 2nd lock that attached to the wench bar and slipped through a wheel lug where a lock attached. This effectively deters a criminal from lowering and cutting the cable, or just cutting the cable and walking off with your spare. This worked for about 19 years but was not enough of a deterrent to ultimately keep some dirtbag from stealing the spare and destroying the winch Assy.
Now I get my 2020 and see that no longer is there enough of a wench arm (and it’s plastic) to allow the anti lowering style lock. MOPAR still makes the wheel lock style key but this alone is not enough to keep a tire secure, particularly with all the battery powered tools thieves have access too these days
So what’s everyone doing to avoid the theft and destruction?
To date I simply removed it and keep it in my garage, making trips and mounting temporarily is a real PITA.

AAR#2

Reaction score
I put one of these on. It won't stop 'em from lowering the spare but once they see it they may move along.

Must be a less ambitious group of thieves in your parts, here they drop the spare with a cordless drill, reach under with bolt cutters to clip the cable, then snatch the tire and run. I’d bet they are in and gone in 30 seconds or so. Once back at their place they would just be forced to remove that lock.

AAR#2

Reaction score
Guess I’m either the only guy that worries about it or I need to buy a home in a new section of the country

bud007

Reaction score
AAR#2 I use one of these , https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/ch...-tire-cable-locks/st30-spare-tire-cable-lock/ for my spare , you can find it on amazon for under $ 20 . plus i use one of these as my alarm https://bmmpr.com/pages/bmmpr-one ( which works great)
I also have wheel locks and a thinkware q800pro dash cam , which i am getting ready to hook up in parking mode for added security
But lets face it , if the thieves want it , they are going to find a way to get it.
btw what part of the country do you live in ?

Last edited:

AAR#2

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback, that alarm and camera setup may be handy. I’ll look into that more later today.
The cable I had seen, and akin to a decent bike lock. Provided there is room, maybe attaching 2 or 3 of these may be enough to deter a would be thief, and that may depend on what he has to remove them.
I’m in the Phoenix area, Mesa specifically, and had my first theft while in broad daylight while parked in the lot at work. Between spare, rim, and replacing the hoist assembly you can expect to be into it for $250-$300 conservatively. Far below most insurance deductibles these days, but more than I care to spend to support someone’s immoral lifestyle

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Where I live, it's just a matter of keeping the bulldogs healthy. Nothing gets messed with as long as my "girls" are on duty. And of course, if there are a bunch of thefts, the local police just round up the "usual suspects" and sweat them until one of them talks. Old school police work is extremely effective at stuff like this.

1631022327398.png

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remove your spare tire.
Keep a tire plug kit, a few tools (needle nose pliers, regular pliers, screwdrivers) and a small DC air compressor under your backseat.
Should be enough unless you have a blowout or nail a curb really good.
Keep your tires properly inflated and you won't' have blowout.

AAR#2

Reaction score
Where I live, it's just a matter of keeping the bulldogs healthy. Nothing gets messed with as long as my "girls" are on duty. And of course, if there are a bunch of thefts, the local police just round up the "usual suspects" and sweat them until one of them talks. Old school police work is extremely effective at stuff like this.

View attachment 104846
I like it, old school justice, but in today’s kinder/gentler world our views may get us labeled, or worse if acted on

AAR#2

Reaction score
Remove your spare tire.
Keep a tire plug kit, a few tools (needle nose pliers, regular pliers, screwdrivers) and a small DC air compressor under your backseat.
Should be enough unless you have a blowout or nail a curb really good.
Keep your tires properly inflated and you won't' have blowout.
Oddly enough I have exactly what you mention and have been running less a spare tire for all local driving. Long trips are another story where Ive been tossing the tire in the bed and locking it in the cab for stops, needless to say this is a real PITA

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is spare tire theft really still a big concern? You said you had one issue with your 99 right after you got it, but nothing since. Even a determined thief would at least attempt to steal your spare if it was a big issue. Despite any safeguards you may have in place. Much like locking lug nuts that inconvenience the owner more than any potential thief.

AAR#2

Reaction score
Is spare tire theft really still a big concern? You said you had one issue with your 99 right after you got it, but nothing since. Even a determined thief would at least attempt to steal your spare if it was a big issue. Despite any safeguards you may have in place. Much like locking lug nuts that inconvenience the owner more than any potential thief.
1999 was stolen twice , 0nce when new and once after installing 2 different lock types after about the 19 year mark. Yes, still a concern for my 2020. Been thinking more about designing my own to thwart off thieves

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Change the drive to something different.

Weld something like a 3/4” bolt to the female drive you use to lower the spare tire.

On the 3/4” bolt mill four flat sides on the threaded part so it fits snuggly into the female drive on the truck and then TIG weld.

Perhaps use a 3” or 4” bolt so it’s closer to the door that way it isn’t to hard to mate the drives.

A deep drive or mid-length socket would be easier to remain engaged.

Doubled dipped hot galvanized would be on my list or perhaps stainless depending on your local welder.

Make an all new tire lowering drive out of a 3/4” socket that you weld to the original rod that was to lower the tire.

No one is going to take the time to figure out what you have done unless you have killer rims that go for over $1k a piece.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a spare grenade. (Really, if you're on this forum and own a Ram, I shouldn't have to tell you where or how to get one.)

Remove the pin, but leave the spoon engaged. Place it between your spare tire and your truck as you winch the spare back up into position.
Local thieves can steal a wheel in the 30 seconds? Cool. That grenade will blow in 5. You win by 25 seconds.

Just don't forget it's there if you ever get a flat.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Get a spare grenade. (Really, if you're on this forum and own a Ram, I shouldn't have to tell you where or how to get one.)

Remove the pin, but leave the spoon engaged. Place it between your spare tire and your truck as you winch the spare back up into position.
Local thieves can steal a wheel in the 30 seconds? Cool. That grenade will blow in 5. You win by 25 seconds.

Just don't forget it's there if you ever get a flat.

Pretty good idea. I have some smoke grenades now that might work. If I can get my hands on some CS grenades, we might have ourselves a good plan. But even colored smoke and CS grenades get really hot, so I'm thinking that should be put on the other side of the heat shield and triggered with a trip wire. Might need to design a lever mechanism that will only pull the wire that pulls the fully-inserted pin if the tire is let down. My sweetie can't be driving around with a loose grenade pin under the back of her truck. :unsure::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

PS: If I mounted some 66mm steel tubes under the truck, I could launch some M98 non-lethal flash bangs at the bad guys with an electric trigger. I think I know where I can get some. If it works, I see patent on the horizon. The "Handy" Ram Truck Protection System. I just need to start a "Go-Fund-Me" page.

Last edited:

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After owning my 1999 Cummins for better than 20 years I went for a 2020 Rebel Eco-diesel just prior to the pandemic.
I had my spare stolen from my 1999 the 2nd week I owned it, prompting me to install a MOPAR wench key and a 2nd lock that attached to the wench bar and slipped through a wheel lug where a lock attached. This effectively deters a criminal from lowering and cutting the cable, or just cutting the cable and walking off with your spare. This worked for about 19 years but was not enough of a deterrent to ultimately keep some dirtbag from stealing the spare and destroying the winch Assy.
Now I get my 2020 and see that no longer is there enough of a wench arm (and it’s plastic) to allow the anti lowering style lock. MOPAR still makes the wheel lock style key but this alone is not enough to keep a tire secure, particularly with all the battery powered tools thieves have access too these days
So what’s everyone doing to avoid the theft and destruction?
To date I simply removed it and keep it in my garage, making trips and mounting temporarily is a real PITA.

Spare Tire Lock - Mopar (82209133)​

1650746823446.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread