5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire Replacement To Larger Size 35"

Reaction score
I want to know what everyone is doing as far as a spare tire goes when you have 35" tires all around?

I see some people running I thnk 295/60 or 295/70 etc...

If you can fit a 34" tire on there, would it harm the differential on the 3.21 gears if you needed to put a spare on there?

Would used 35" tire fit in the spare tire area without exhaust issues?

I want to get something that will be close so that if something happens I have a spare, but I do not want to take up bed space. If nothing works then I am just going to take the spare off and sell it with my stock tires once the 35's are installed.

I want to dismount the spare and keep the rim. I don't mind getting a used 35" tire even with 50% wear as it's only space that will probably end up never being used anyhow.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I want to know what everyone is doing as far as a spare tire goes when you have 35" tires all around?

I see some people running I thnk 295/60 or 295/70 etc...

If you can fit a 34" tire on there, would it harm the differential on the 3.21 gears if you needed to put a spare on there?

Would used 35" tire fit in the spare tire area without exhaust issues?

I want to get something that will be close so that if something happens I have a spare, but I do not want to take up bed space. If nothing works then I am just going to take the spare off and sell it with my stock tires once the 35's are installed.

I want to dismount the spare and keep the rim. I don't mind getting a used 35" tire even with 50% wear as it's only space that will probably end up never being used anyhow.
Unfortunately a 35 inch tire will not fit under the bed. A 33 will fit with the shielding in place. If you remove that you can barely squeeze in a 34 inch tire.
295/60/20 275/65/20 and 285/70/18 are about max. One guy on here claims he got a 295/70/18 jammed up there but I don’t know that for a fact and there are fluctuation in size. Not all tire sizes measure the same. Each manufactures tire is slightly different.

As far as damaging anything there certainly is a potential regardless of what gearing your differential is. It’s not advised. Even being off a quarter inch is the difference of 8/32 of tread depth. So if your tire was 33.2 and your main tire was 33.4 Your main tire would have to where down almost half its tread to be the same size as the spare.

STR

Reaction score
I started a thread earlier about the factory spare (32.1”) on a Rebel being an inch shorter, which doesn’t make sense.

While you can run a 34” spare on a 35” set-up in an emergency, I wouldn’t think running it for long would be good. Just for chitz-&-giggles I test fitted the OEM Rebel 33” (actually 33.2”) and it fit into the spare tire cavity w/the heat shield. A 34” should fit without the heat shield, but I doubt a 35” would without further modifications.

Myke

Reaction score
My last truck was a lifted Nissan Frontier with 20”x9” rims. I bought it used that way. The prior owner who set it up, did NOT buy a 5th spare rim. I developed a very tiny crack in one of the 4 rims I had. 4 wheeling can be tough on rims. Yes, I could have had it welded, but I hunt remote places and did not like running a weak rim and without a full size spare. Unfortunately for me, since the purchase of those 4 rims, Fuel had discontinued the rim style that I had, and had no blanks that I could have had drilled. So, I bought five new rims for the truck. If you are going to play with non stock rims, bite the bullet and buy 5.

Users who are viewing this thread