5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire about to burst?!?!

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Sorry about the title but in some respects, it may not be that far off. So I am taking a trip far north into bear country and was doing some pre-departure checks on my 2019 Rebel. So I dropped the spare to check the pressure (30 psi...) and noticed what you see in the pics. That is worn down into the rubber/side walls. Is that normal???

This is a brand new tire, I've never used it let alone dropped it down until this morning.

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• 20210617_091326.jpg
    20210617_091326.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210617_091333.jpg
    20210617_091333.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210617_091339.jpg
    20210617_091339.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210617_091346.jpg
    20210617_091346.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 137

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's normal for a spare. What you are seeing is clean rubber where it was in contact with the mounting points under the bed. The only thing worn away is the dirt that's accumulated over the years. The rubber hasn't worn away. Even the raised white lettering still has the protective blue coating from when the tire was new. Just air the spare up to where you want it and don't worry about it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, that looks to be just the clean part of the tire that was connected up to the mount stops in the spare tire carrier. As mentioned, give it a wash to be sure, but likely the tire is just fine.

Good idea to remove the spare and inspect, we should all be doing that from time to time.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will drop it again when I get back and update this. But it definitely did not seem like it was just worn away dirt. But, we'll see 😉

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will drop it again when I get back and update this. But it definitely did not seem like it was just worn away dirt. But, we'll see 😉

Not actually worn away dirt, but a pressure impression on the rubber against the spare tire carrier bump stops. With caked on dirt built up around the area that wasn't exposed to dirt. Hopefully that is :)

bskubon

Reaction score
Anyone see any problems if ya mount the spare upside down so the valve stem facing down - so you don’t have to drop the spare to check pressure? I understand the bit regarding protecting the valve stem from being hit, but, I don’t off road or anything like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Anyone see any problems if ya mount the spare upside down so the valve stem facing down - so you don’t have to drop the spare to check pressure? I understand the bit regarding protecting the valve stem from being hit, but, I don’t off road or anything like that.

How much dust/mud is that spare going to accumulate? Stemside down, the mounting surface will get crusted and may not seat properly when mounted on the hub.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The lettering on the tire is still blue. If it was wearing into the sidewall there wouldn't even be any raised lettering in that area.

El Toro Blanco

Reaction score

One of the 1st things I do on a new to me vehicle. Never had a problem in the 42+ years I've been driving.

Rick J

Reaction score
This thread made me think about the fact I haven't checked my spare since the first week I owned my truck. So, I took it down. It looked just like Hemogloblin's. I'm going to disagree with those that say it's just because it's clean in that area. After I washed my tire the marks were still there. In fact, you could see and feel the indentations where the marks are. However, it isn't wear from rubbing. I would equate it to the flat spot you get on a tire when sits for an extended period of time. After inflating the tire to the recommended 45 lbs (it was at 35) and then letting it sit in the sun for an hour, the indentations were almost completely gone. I forgot to take a picture after letting it sit.

Attachments

• 20210617_132836 (Large).jpg
    20210617_132836 (Large).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210617_134322 (Large).jpg
    20210617_134322 (Large).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210617_134011 (Large).jpg
    20210617_134011 (Large).jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This thread made me think about the fact I haven't checked my spare since the first week I owned my truck. So, I took it down. It looked just like Hemogloblin's. I'm going to disagree with those that say it's just because it's clean in that area. After I washed my tire the marks were still there. In fact, you could see and feel the indentations where the marks are. However, it isn't wear from rubbing. I would equate it to the flat spot you get on a tire when sits for an extended period of time. After inflating the tire to the recommended 45 lbs (it was at 35) and then letting it sit in the sun for an hour, the indentations were almost completely gone. I forgot to take a picture after letting it sit.
That's exactly right. Tires are rubber and rubber will deform when pressure is applied over time. But the point that we were making is that there was such a difference between the clean and dirty areas that it appeared much worse than it really is. And my main point was that it is completely normal for that to happen, and he will have no issues from that with his spare tire.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Yup, a pressure indentation from the bump stops the tire is up against in the carrier.

Ramgoose

Reaction score
The lettering on the tire is still blue. If it was wearing into the sidewall there wouldn't even be any raised lettering in that area.
@ LaxDfns15 I like the stance of your Rebel from your signature photo but I don’t see mention of a level or lift. Is it stock height?

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

Users who are viewing this thread