5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spare after new tires?

jaychris

Reaction score
Updated to new wheels and 295/70/18 tires. I believe my spare is 245/65/18.

That's a pretty big disparity between tires and spare (about 4" I think). Do I need to consider a cheap spare that is close to the same size, or am I good as is. The tire place is telling me I'm fine for short distances, but I'm not so sure.

CMENT

Reaction score
If 95% of the time spent driving is around an area where there is a shop within a mile, than no.

Trust me it sucks when you have to try and keep up to 50mph on a off-sized tire (especially if it is front tire) on a highway or in bad weather

You probably could pick up a correct size used tire for under 30 bucks at a local (non franchise) dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why mess around with a spare? Get a quality plug kit and air pump. Fuggedaboutit. Plugging a tire is easier than changing one and your truck loses 80 lbs.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Why mess around with a spare? Get a quality plug kit and air pump. Fuggedaboutit. Plugging a tire is easier than changing one and your truck loses 80 lbs.
I’ve only ever had to change to my spare on my trucks or wranglers twice. Both times it was sidewall tear (road debris) and on a highway with zero berm and I had to get changed fast and get out of traffic. Good thing I had a spare each time.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Updated to new wheels and 295/70/18 tires. I believe my spare is 245/65/18.

That's a pretty big disparity between tires and spare (about 4" I think). Do I need to consider a cheap spare that is close to the same size, or am I good as is. The tire place is telling me I'm fine for short distances, but I'm not so sure.
Double check your spare and make sure you have a full size 18” spare wheel( check your build sheet as well). If so, grab a used 295/70 on eBay (unfortunately that size isn’t super cheap or common). The question is whether you will be able to fit it under there with the shields in place.

Getting a matching size means you don’t have to worry about immediately getting to a shop.

If my choice in wheels and tires wouldn’t have been so $$& I would have considered getting 5 (and rotating my spare in). When you have tire blowouts like I have (actual tears where the tire has to be replaced), having matching size is a real plus because you can drive on it for a bit while you’re getting a new tire.

jaychris

Reaction score
Double check your spare and make sure you have a full size 18” spare wheel( check your build sheet as well). If so, grab a used 295/70 on eBay (unfortunately that size isn’t super cheap or common). The question is whether you will be able to fit it under there with the shields in place.

Getting a matching size means you don’t have to worry about immediately getting to a shop.

If my choice in wheels and tires wouldn’t have been so $$& I would have considered getting 5 (and rotating my spare in). When you have tire blowouts like I have (actual tears where the tire has to be replaced), having matching size is a real plus because you can drive on it for a bit while you’re getting a new tire.

Awsome. Build sheet says full size spare, and Ebay has a ton of single tires available in the right size. Only question, as you say, is whether it will fit with the shields.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Curious as well what the largest diameter spare tire we can fit under the truck. I went to 35's while stock was 32". Assume spare is 32, which won't work well, at least on rear.

Users who are viewing this thread