5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spacers on top of front air struts to level and maintain ride quality?

Reaction score
This only applies for trucks on air suspension. So I found a very informative video on YouTube:

Learned 2 things:

1.) You can make your own level links with COTS parts. My best guess is, for one link: 1 X https://www.grainger.com/product/BANSBACH-EASYLIFT-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Elbow-Joint-6UDU2, 1 X https://www.grainger.com/product/BANSBACH-EASYLIFT-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Elbow-Joint-6UDU1, 1 X M5 threaded rod of the correct length, 2 X Washers, 2 X lock nuts, you have a link for around $20-$30.

2.) A lot of folks use shorter level sensor links to remove rake. Unfortunately, they can't achieve full level without facing harsh or bouncy ride in OR height setting and/or error messages. This is because the bag becomes a bit overinflated up front which does two things in analogy to traditional spring/shock strut: makes the effective spring rate too high, and makes the effective damping too low. Solution from this video: add a level kit on top of the front air strut so it can achieve level without having to extend the bag as much.

Sounds like a pretty good idea, especially with the kit he used that had polyurethane spacers, alot more compliant than aluminum or steel and probably make the ride even more floaty/numb. I'd really like to try this out. Anyone foresee any issues? Also, does anyone know if it's the same air strut in the Gen 5 as in the Gen 4? I'd really like to use that polyurethane kit but they only make it for the Gen 4s. I'm guessing the strut mounting point is identical for air and non-air (just makes sense from a manufacturing perspective for FCA)?

19 streak

Reaction score
This looks very promising. I'll need to do some sort of level/lift come spring time to fit my new wheels. I've been looking for a better option then just the links

Savagescott

Reaction score
This looks very promising. I'll need to do some sort of level/lift come spring time to fit my new wheels. I've been looking for a better option then just the links

I’m mechanically literate but vehicle suspensions are not my thing. What additional info is needed to confirm this will work on our ‘19s with air ride? I’d like to level my Limited when I get it but I’m very concerned about how the links alone will affect ride.

Reaction score
I’m mechanically literate but vehicle suspensions are not my thing. What additional info is needed to confirm this will work on our ‘19s with air ride? I’d like to level my Limited when I get it but I’m very concerned about how the links alone will affect ride.

From what I've read so far, just putting a link on the front will make the ride harsher. Some folks have tried putting a lifting link up front and a lower link out back to achieve the level. Not hitting any error codes requires tweaking the link height. It's also really the OR settings that you'll run into issues.

I'm definitely going to get a set of the spacers, just don't know when I'll get a day to try putting them on.

19 streak

Reaction score
From what I can see and what I've read. Looks like to do it properly we would need some spacers, some adjustable links, preferably some upper control arms. I really want to try this.

Savagescott

Reaction score
From what I can see and what I've read. Looks like to do it properly we would need some spacers, some adjustable links, preferably some upper control arms. I really want to try this.

Which spacers would you use? Is there someone making this kit (spacers, links) for the 19s?

19 streak

Reaction score
Which spacers would you use? Is there someone making this kit (spacers, links) for the 19s?
Nobody is making a leveling kit with spacers for the factory air ride. There's a company called revel performance that sells the adjustable links for the 19's. What I'm trying to think of is a way to keep the same height in the air bag but have the truck level.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is the upper strut mount is typical across the trims and different suspension options. So safe bet a 2" strut top for any other 4th or 5th gen Ram will do the job. Trick is dialing in the links once the spacers are in.

19 streak

Reaction score
My understanding is the upper strut mount is typical across the trims and different suspension options. So safe bet a 2" strut top for any other 4th or 5th gen Ram will do the job. Trick is dialing in the links once the spacers are in.
I agree. I think the most ideal would be the mopar upper control arms and a typical spacer. After that it'll be some time and trial and error to get the ride heights figured out

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. I think the most ideal would be the mopar upper control arms and a typical spacer. After that it'll be some time and trial and error to get the ride heights figured out
You might want to rethink the Mopar UCA's... I don't think they would have the correct ball joint angles if raising the front 2 or 2.5 inches. If it was my money, I'd get something with more available ball joint mobility. Each individual should do their own fact checking, but from experience, the 4th Gen parts are working out perfectly. I just don't think anyone has posted an attempt at a strut top spacer on an air ride truck yet. If I would have kept my air ride Rebel, I would have done this in a heartbeat.

19 streak

Reaction score
You might want to rethink the Mopar UCA's... I don't think they would have the correct ball joint angles if raising the front 2 or 2.5 inches. If it was my money, I'd get something with more available ball joint mobility. Each individual should do their own fact checking, but from experience, the 4th Gen parts are working out perfectly. I just don't think anyone has posted an attempt at a strut top spacer on an air ride truck yet. If I would have kept my air ride Rebel, I would have done this in a heartbeat.
I thought the mopar upper control arms they have for the 2" mopar kit have the corrected ball joint angle for the use in their system? I could be wrong

Savagescott

Reaction score
I thought the mopar upper control arms they have for the 2" mopar kit have the corrected ball joint angle for the use in their system? I could be wrong

I may need y’all to talk to talk me off the ledge here... I thought I had my truck all configured - a Limited with etorque and airride (of course), among other options. I’m getting frustrated with w/ what it seems it’s gonna take to get the airride truck to look like I pictured and after hearing about the mounting number of etorque issues, I may now end up with a completely different truck. (I assumed the air ride would improve the ride - I’m now reading that the conventional suspension may actually ride better! I tow a big boat but the tongue weight is only about 600# so I don’t think the airride would be mandatory for that).

Didn’t mean to hijack - sorry for the hissy fit.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it's compatible with air ride + 2.5" level. If it was non ORG coil, I would say "sure", but the added movement of the air ride makes me question the Mopar arms since they are so similar to the stock UCA.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it's compatible with air ride + 2.5" level. If it was non ORG coil, I would say "sure", but the added movement of the air ride makes me question the Mopar arms since they are so similar to the stock UCA.
It would be fine when in normal or aero mode, but if you turned it into one of the offroad settings, it would be absolutely terrible. It would be about 4" of lift with the spacer level then the offroad mode.

19 streak

Reaction score
Do you think the rough country uca would be a better solution?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think the rough country uca would be a better solution?
Something like that would be better, but I don't think the Rough Country or Readylift control arms have the ball on them for the air ride links.

19 streak

Reaction score
May have to do some digging and find a better upper control arm solution

Users who are viewing this thread