5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Source of factory differential options

Reaction score
Thought I would share a conversation I had on the phone today with Eaton technical support.
Gentleman that I spoke with seemed very knowledgeable.
1. He states that the electric locker in the 2019 Gen. 5 Ram is NOT an Eaton product. I pressured him pretty hard on this and he was adamant that it is not an Eaton product.
Also said he has no idea who or where it comes from. He was vey well informed on the axles in the Ram trucks as well as the changes that have occurred over time.
2. The clutch style LSD used in the Ram truck is indeed an Eaton product. He stated that it is not "exactly" like the aftermarket "Eaton Posi " clutch type LSD. He did say that the one used in the Ram works on the same principle as their aftermarket Posi. I suspect that the main difference is whatever engineering was required to get the LSD into the ZF axle with it's different length axle shafts. He also said he could see no reason why the clutch pack could not be rebuilt as long as the parts required were made available.
I fully understand the speculation about the locker being an Eaton because of what it is called. However, that is what I found out today. Could the person I spoke with be incorrect? Sure he could. But he seemed pretty confident about what he was saying.

jabara572

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee RAM is not manufacturing their own e-locker... or if they are they just licensed it from Eaton like they do with the ZF 8 speed ("its not a ZF" its a torqueflite....doohkay...)

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee RAM is not manufacturing their own e-locker... or if they are they just licensed it from Eaton like they do with the ZF 8 speed ("its not a ZF" its a torqueflite....doohkay...)
I agree 100% that RAM manufacturing it's own electric locking Diff. is VERY unlikely. The information that Eaton gave me was exactly 180 degrees out from what I expected. I was surprised to be told that the clutch type LSD was an Eaton. Even more surprised to be told that the E-Locker was not an Eaton. I cannot get an E-Locker in a 5th Gen. equipped the way I would want it. I was thinking I could just order the truck with an open Diff. and add the E-Locker after taking delivery. ( If of course it was an Eaton ). If the BLD within the traction control system works as claimed It would appear that it is just about as good as a LSD. I tend to be more proactive as opposed to reactive and think the manually locking Diff. would be better for my application and my traction needs.

Users who are viewing this thread