5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound from behind shifter noob

Big androski

Reaction score
I have a 2017 ram 1500 Laramie 40000 kilometers on it bought it new.noticed today when I start it up then put my foot on the break peddle to switch from park to drive I can hear something engaging behind shift noob never heard this before today then when I stop and put it in park and release foot from break peddle same noise anyone else have this problem or know what it is.

JbVt

Reaction score
It’s the gear selector lock disengaging when you push the brake pedal and engaging when the brake isn’t pressed. It’s so you can’t shift out of lark without having your foot on the brake.

Big androski

Reaction score
It’s the gear selector lock disengaging when you push the brake pedal and engaging when the brake isn’t pressed. It’s so you can’t shift out of lark without having your foot on the brake.
Would it maybe need to be greased or replaced weird it started making noise today right after I had new tires put on but couldn't see the tire guy causing any damage that I can think of unless maybe he forced the knob maybe driving me crazy

JbVt

Reaction score
Mines done it since day one on my 2020.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue. My 2019 ram just started doing this today. Been silent since I got it untill now. Pretty loud and annoying sounds like the actuator is dying

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else have this issue. My 2019 ram just started doing this today. Been silent since I got it untill now. Pretty loud and annoying sounds like the actuator is dying
It's completely normal. You can put a new shifter in and it may be worse than the one in it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't have anything that peddles breaks in my truck, or any noobs for that matter.

I can say that when I press the brake pedal to stop and shift into park, the electronic parking brake automatically engages. It releases when I am buckled up, depress the brake pedal and shift into drive. This is a distinct whirring sound.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don't have anything that peddles breaks in my truck, or any noobs for that matter.

I can say that when I press the brake pedal to stop and shift into park, the electronic parking brake automatically engages. It releases when I am buckled up, depress the brake pedal and shift into drive. This is a distinct whirring sound.
Unfortunately, he's not going to benefit from your grammar/spelling lesson. He hasn't been on this forum since April 26th.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Unfortunately, he's not going to benefit from your grammar/spelling lesson. He hasn't been on this forum since April 26th.
Yes, others might. I see a lot of people out there that have trucks equipped with breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread