5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound Deadening

Idaho970

Reaction score
To all the audio heads on here - yes I know this may not be the perfect way to sound deaden the truck, but it was my first try and I'm not going for a competition style truck here.

Update on the sound deadening/audio upgrade process. Was able to finish my sound deadening and adding poly fill to the HK sub this weekend. Currently in a heat wave in Boise, ID so it was a struggle.

Materials:
Kilmat 80mil 36sq ft - only used probably 1/2 of the box
Noico 150mil Red Foam 36sq ft - this is a closed cell foam product also used about half the box.

Pulled the HK Sub out and added poly fil to all of the empty space, making sure to leave room for the sub to move. Didn't make a HUGE difference, but sounds more solid all around.
30BCDCC4-B94B-4B0A-982F-7C30D4F5008C_1_201_a.jpeg

CFD121CC-B7FF-411F-9D75-85A8CB62B3C8_1_201_a.jpeg

added Kilmat 80mil to the back wall (didn't do a great job getting pictures). This was about half way through, ended up covering 80% of the back wall. I know a lot of guys are starting to put covers on the rear vents....Concerns me a little know the benefits of having that rear air flow. There are flaps if you look closely that only let air out, nothing comes in. After I saw those vents it made me realize I wasn't getting air flow in to the truck from them, so I left them alone and didn't cover them in any way.
14667767-4350-4DB5-9E51-13ED8D1DA99F_1_201_a.jpeg

Pulled back the carpet and held it in place with some bungee cords. Let me get full access to the floorboard all the way back to the rear seats.
3FC706DD-42C6-47F1-AFB4-20289D4D59D0_1_201_a.jpeg

Started adding KilMat to the floor board. 10x easier than the back wall as it doesn't have mounting points and gear in the way.
A085BC46-F516-4B53-88C0-CAFAE73B6BF8_1_201_a.jpeg

Covered about 90% of the floor with Kilmat. Note: in the left side of the picture you can see the battery for the eTorque system in case you were curious how big it was.
017AC65A-2546-4B77-AD6E-B55B4370CF2F_1_201_a.jpeg

Went through and added a layer of Noico 150mil Red Foam (Closed Cell Foam). Should help with some thermal transference and I noticed a HUGE change in how much road noise was coming into the cab.

EF4AF527-6F5B-4D4E-B0F7-9699BC6FDFB7_1_201_a.jpeg

All in all it was about a 3 day project only working a few hours each day. Been so hot here I can only handle the garage early in the day or late at night. All in, I would say it took about 8 hours from the first turn of a wrench to pull the seats out to securing the last bolt. If you are tuned in to your truck and can notice the small noises and pickup the changes in road noise, I HIGHLY recommend doing it. If you think this is the quietest truck ever made, don't waste your time.

Have some more sound deadening material and speakers en route and will be doing the doors next weekend.

Attachments

• 8D800A98-3C0C-4703-8E2F-FF5081710B45_1_201_a.jpeg
    8D800A98-3C0C-4703-8E2F-FF5081710B45_1_201_a.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 46

dearchristopher

Reaction score
did this to my 4th gen and was considering doing my 5th as well. excellent work. do you think the poly in the sub helped much?

thanks for sharing pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho970

Reaction score
did this to my 4th gen and was considering doing my 5th as well. excellent work. do you think the poly in the sub helped much?

thanks for sharing pics!

Hard to tell really. It’s always made a difference in larger sub boxes I’ve had so I’m sure it makes SOME difference. With how small this sub is I doubt it’s detectible without a sound reader.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
interesting. you definitely have me figuring up logistics in my head now. lol

Idaho970

Reaction score
interesting. you definitely have me figuring up logistics in my head now. lol

easier than you think. Just make sure you have time and patience. Also having the correct torx bits help haha.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
dredging this back up, did you ever do the front?

samc99us

Reaction score
I just did this to my 1500 Limited. At least for me, it's hard to notice a change when at highway speed (largest source of road noise for me). I also sound-proofed the storage containers under the seats. While doing so, I realized the lids are slightly warped, so don't sit flush with floor. Recently, I put some foam strips on the lids of the boxes, plus installed an under-seat storage container (removed the factory flip out unit), which sits on these lids and pushes them down a bit. I'm really curious how this works out; if noticeable, I'll post photos, and may take the extra step of removing these boxes entirely and sealing the floor pan to the outside.

JD01

Reaction score
I just did this to my 1500 Limited. At least for me, it's hard to notice a change when at highway speed (largest source of road noise for me). I also sound-proofed the storage containers under the seats. While doing so, I realized the lids are slightly warped, so don't sit flush with floor. Recently, I put some foam strips on the lids of the boxes, plus installed an under-seat storage container (removed the factory flip out unit), which sits on these lids and pushes them down a bit. I'm really curious how this works out; if noticeable, I'll post photos, and may take the extra step of removing these boxes entirely and sealing the floor pan to the outside.
Any updates?

Users who are viewing this thread