5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Videos I Came Across: Serious Off-Road in a New Ram 1500.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Off roading comes in many flavors. The closest any truck comes to being equipped from the factory is the Ford Raptor. And it isn't a Ranger with 3-link rear. Or a Wrangler with long arm suspension.

The truck in the video had a 6" Fabtech lift kit and 35" or 37" tires. The other way to do that is a long-arm suspension kit with new fenders. That is the TRX recipe, which is available here: https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/4wd-long-travel-2017-ram-rebel. While the parts are for a 2012-2018, I think they are available for a 2019+. The Fiberworx fenders are.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
Off roading comes in many flavors. The closest any truck comes to being equipped from the factory is the Ford Raptor. And it isn't a Ranger with 3-link rear. Or a Wrangler with long arm suspension.

The truck in the video had a 6" Fabtech lift kit and 35" or 37" tires. The other way to do that is a long-arm suspension kit with new fenders. That is the TRX recipe, which is available here: https://dirtkingfabrication.com/products/4wd-long-travel-2017-ram-rebel. While the parts are for a 2012-2018, I think they are available for a 2019+. The Fiberworx fenders are.

The Raptor isn't really a crawler, though. Yes, it can do it, but it suffers from the worst departure angle of any of the full size trucks, even with the 35" tires. It's built more for Baja running.

I'm not talking Rubicon trail levels of capable, just overall capable. I've off-roaded my Rebel twice now (had it for 2 weeks), mildly, and will continue to do so. Just watch your lines, scout your path, use spotters, and have fun! You don't need a Wrangler to go play in the dirt and rocks, was my point.

I bought a truck for truck duties, with off-road capabilities, to play in the dirt, while also being comfortable in daily driving. No mall-crawling here.

If I wanted to get back into hard core crawling like when I was a kid, I'd take an older Jeep (cherokee unibody, YJ/CJ wrangler, etc) or K5, or old Bronco, and build it for it. There's no production vehicle that I would take on those kinds of trails, as is.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The Raptor isn't really a crawler, though. Yes, it can do it, but it suffers from the worst departure angle of any of the full size trucks, even with the 35" tires. It's built more for Baja running.

I'm not talking Rubicon trail levels of capable, just overall capable. I've off-roaded my Rebel twice now (had it for 2 weeks), mildly, and will continue to do so. Just watch your lines, scout your path, use spotters, and have fun! You don't need a Wrangler to go play in the dirt and rocks, was my point.

I bought a truck for truck duties, with off-road capabilities, to play in the dirt, while also being comfortable in daily driving. No mall-crawling here.

If I wanted to get back into hard core crawling like when I was a kid, I'd take an older Jeep (cherokee unibody, YJ/CJ wrangler, etc) or K5, or old Bronco, and build it for it. There's no production vehicle that I would take on those kinds of trails, as is.

Did the front view camera work off road or did it just turn off automatically?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I miss being out like that myself .. I would have to have hit my UP button a couple times to raise my ride just in case :)

Users who are viewing this thread