5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Real World MPG Numbers

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eco-diesel 4x4 Limited with 3.92. Falken Wildpeak in 275-60-20
22 mpg in town.
I get up to 28 on the highway. But going over 70 mph brings that down to 25 because the 3.92 gearing (I believe).
A/C running all the time although it shouldn't make any noticeable difference with this big engine.
Love the 750 mile range on a single tank of gas :)

I've only gone through one tank but had similar highway mileage coming from Baton Rouge to Western NC. A lot of time was spent @ 75mph and some crawling in heavy traffic (Atlanta) or heavy rain. It was cool filling up and seeing 850 miles to empty on the dash. Would love to see 1000, but likely won't the way I'm configured.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just took a 320 mile round trip from Baltimore to PA. About 600’ in elevation change; lots of hills and valleys. 19.4mpg per the truck’s calc. Was a little underwhelmed honestly. I was intent on maximizing fuel economy for most of the drive.

My BTS effectively has ORG, as well as 26 gal tank, 5.7 w/eTorque, and 3.92 gears.
That's pretty much in line with my truck as well.

Jp306

Reaction score
Wow! You have the Worst setup for gas mileage. Crew cab with full size bed, 4WD, 3.92 gears AND off road package. Without the Etorque you'd probably get more like 14 mpg on highway.
This might be a dumb question, but why would the off road package make much of a difference? I’ve seen a few people say that and I am genuinely curious. I’m probably being naive, but it’s hard to think an inch of lift and a couple pounds of plates could make such a difference!!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but why would the off road package make much of a difference? I’ve seen a few people say that and I am genuinely curious. I’m probably being naive, but it’s hard to think an inch of lift and a couple pounds of plates could make such a difference!!
It doesn’t, idk why they said it did. Bigger tires will hurt fuel mileage, and a big lift kit might effect it, but 1” longer struts and coils do not. A crew cab 4x4 with 3.92s is one of the worst combos though! However I have that combo and I’m on 37” MTs still getting 13mpg avg and up to 16 on the highway so I feel bad for the guys getting that on stock trucks!

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
Had 3 hemis. 17, 2 18's, CC's, 5.7 bed, bed covers. 17 loaded laramie w/air suspension then 2 loaded longhorns w/ air suspension. 17-3.92 18-3.92, 18-3.21 Overall their avg was roughly 15mpg. The 3.21 actually was the lowest avg, maybe 1+mpg on hiway. On the highway basically 18-19 if ran 60, running 70+ to Az and back was 13-15 depending on the wind. Hemis are not mileage engines. That is why went to my 21 Limited ecodiesel CC, 5.7 bed, 3.92's, bed cover. Avg mpg is 22.5 summer and 20.5-21 now in the winter. Highway mpg is 25-30 on same trip depending on the wind, last spring coming home from AZ.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Who in the hell buys one of these things with a V-8 for gas mileage?
I think it’s more about get what mileage you can, they are not trying to get Prius numbers

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Crew cab, 3.21 diff, off road pkg, I have a heavy right foot :) no highway miles, Florida city road traffic speed limits are pretty high (45-60 mph), I get 14.6 mpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who in the hell buys one of these things with a V-8 for gas mileage?
Nobody does. But that doesn't mean it's not a consideration...

And since you asked...I do. I drive an average of 52K miles/year, mostly highway running, so mileage is important to me. It's obviously not the only factor, as I need to haul stuff, tow, and carry people while I'm doing it. So yeah, mpg figures in because I'm putting out approximately $8000 a year for fuel. Just because you don't give a **** about mpg doesn't mean everyone shouldn't.

And to answer Jp306...I'd guess the mpg hit comes from a change to ride height...aerodynamics make a huge difference with these trucks...it explains why i can get 21mpg all day long if I stick at 65mph and it drops to 19mpg at 75mph. On top of that, I'd guess those tires weigh a good bit more, and yes that makes a significant difference.

Users who are viewing this thread