5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED 2019 1500 with Front Suspension Crunch Sound?

tac63

Reaction score
Good morning All,

Let me start by saying I read through the long thread on front sway bar end link issues, and this may very well be that, however, my wear on the front shocks and this substantial crunch sound I didn't find mentioned in the forum though so I'm hoping for some decent direction from this.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7 (not etorque), 4x4, with 103k (lots of highway for work), no lifts or suspension changes, running on Rebel wheels and tires. I've had a little bit of a front-end noise for a little while though not consistent enough or loud enough to confirm it was suspension, not just something moving in the truck. However recently, this has escalated to much louder concerning noise.
* I am now hearing a loud crunch sound when I hard/quick stop while turning left at full or close to full lock. (Video 1) (Video 2)
* When turning right, no noise.
* When going straight no noise.
* When going at slow speeds when hitting potholes or large road bumps I will hear a faint clunk noise sometimes, worse so when turning left.
* I looked under the truck and don't see any obvious wear on CV boots, though do have some noise with CV axle that may or may not be normal (Video)
* No obvious loose suspension parts when pulling on them or watching them when my wife turning left and right to full lock.
* Wear on a middle part of both front shocks.
* No abnormal wear on either front tire.
* No rubbing on fender liner or visible wear otherwise from contact rubbing.

Driver.jpg Passenger.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

tac63

Reaction score
For anyone with this issue, ended up replacing both front and rear sway bar links and sway bar bushings, no more noise and ride quality has significantly improved. Believe this may correct the shock rub issue as well.

19ramsport

Reaction score
* I looked under the truck and don't see any obvious wear on CV boots, though do have some noise with CV axle that may or may not be normal (Video)

my 19 truck only has 18k miles. I hear a slight clanging noise from the front end at lower speeds on rougher roads and bumps. I looked all underneath and the sway bar and end link nuts are all tight. Then I ended up grabbing each of the front CV axles and was able to move them back and forth slightly and they produce the same clanging noise that I've been hearing, like in your video.
So I'm trying to figure out if some play in the front CV axles is normal or not? I don't recall hearing this noise before on other Ford or Chevy trucks I owned (although I never rack up tons of miles anyways before trading up). Or if these need replaced already, would they be covered under the powertrain warranty? Because my 3 year factory warranty is already expired based on time.

Last edited:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm used to the RENEGADES going out every year (they are plastic - unless you are lucky for your parts dept to obtain metal ones). Not used to seeing 1500s doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread