5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Software Update Suggestions to RAM

JXL118

Reaction score
So I've had my truck for a bit now and I love it but there's always room for improvement. Here's my long list of suggestions to RAM for future software updates I wish they'd make. I've tried to limit this to only changes that could be easily implemented through a software update, shouldn't be smacked down by their legal department, and that wouldn't cost RAM anything to make available to current owners though I doubt they'd ever actually give us new functionality. I can dream, right?

- Add feature to Auto-Fold mirrors after vehicle shut off and extend when re-started
- Add feature to Auto-lock the doors after vehicle put in park and key walks away
- Add setting to control amount of tilt during auto-tilt in reverse operation (auto-tilt is currently unusable for me because the mirrors tilts down too far since I still like to use my mirrors some while backing)
- Add high/med/low settings for heated steering wheel.
- Add setting to adjust the temp at which heated seats/wheel activate during remote start
- Allow enabling/disabling heated seats/steering wheel by tapping the icon that displays at the top of the screen without having to open the controls app.
- Allow individual enable/disable/deploy/retract of driver and passenger power running boards

- Display a MPG moving avg (last 30min or hour of engine time) on fuel economy screen. This would let me see how some event or change impacted MPG without needing to plan ahead and constantly reset the counter
- Display the date/time when trip info was last reset.
- Display throttle/brake percentage on driver assist screen, or at least indicate when brakes are active. I've been concerned a couple times that the adaptive cruise is riding the brake and would like to know what it's doing for sure.
- Display estimated fuel saved on Auto-Start/Stop screen
- Display message explaining why system not ready on Auto-Start/Stop screen
- Allow overlay of gas prices on nav app
- Add pause navigation button. I don't need to be told to U-turn when I'm stopping to fill up with gas.
- Allow map overlay on sirrius xm page of media app like on fm radio page
- Allow full screen camera views. I realize the aspect ratio of the cameras probably means that you can't display single image on whole screen without stretching (which would probably be too distorted) or cropping/zooming in (which may actually still be really useful) but even having reverse up top, and forward or surround view on bottom half would be nice. Hopefully this is a software fix but I guess it could be a hardware limitation too.
- Allow launching surround view app at higher speeds even if you can't/won't display image yet. Just switch to screen with blacked out image until vehicle slows enough to display, revert to last screen if truck doesn't slow within 1 min. I've got a steep driveway and have to maneuver around my wifes car at the top. I can't turn the surround view on at the bottom because I'm going to fast and don't like trying to turn it on while on the steepest, narrowest part of my driveway while maneuvering around her car even though it is useful at that point to see where my tires are in relationship to the edge of the driveway.

- Readjust dash brightness dial to allow more range in between the current brightest night setting and full on locked in day mode for twilight/rainy days
- Allow reprogramming media buttons on back of steering wheel to owners preference
- allow switching which side controls volume/station
- allow up/down thru favorites instead of all stations during radio operation(press and hold center button with up/down for alternate behavior)
- allow setting volume center button to mute (press and hold center with up/down to cycle sources if this is selected)
- allow press and hold up/down to fast forward/reverse within current track in media mode

- Allow voice control of heated/vented seats
- Allow voice control of heated steering wheel
- Allow voice control of sun roof
- Improve voice recognition, I couldn't figure out how to navigate to a restaurant by name using voice commands which means I plug my phone in more often and use Android Auto instead

- Allow full screen Android Auto
- Wireless Android Auto
- Continue to display clock at top of screen when Android Auto is displayed
- Allow Android Auto to display directions in drivers screen (not sure if this one is possible)
- This is probably a bug in Android Auto but it will sometimes keep the stereo volume partially muted even after it stops reading directions, it'd be nice if I could override this from the truck instead of having to unplug my phone to get the stereo back. Not sure what the UX for this would be though
- Allow Android Auto to control radio, HVAC, and other comfort controls. Again not sure if this one is possible. This is really just a stop-gap measure to fix the bad voice recognition of the truck.

- Fire the Android Uconnect App team (or at least hire a performance tester) it's load time is simply unacceptable and I've got a decently powerful phone. I can't imagine how long it takes on a cheap older phone.
- Allow crack/open/close windows from Uconnect app
- Allow vent/open/close sunroof from Uconnect app
- Allow Uconnect app to fetch the last estimated range. Better yet, have the truck update it each time its shut off. It'd be nice to check my phone to know if I've got to plan on filling up before leaving the house.
- Allow Uconnect app to set hvac temp, heated/vented seat, etc. when remote starting
- Allow Uconnect app to display current internal temp of truck when remoted started. This way you could see when the truck is actually warmed up/cooled off.

What changes do you wish they'd make?

Kidder

Reaction score
On start/stop screen, mine shows status. My wife's Pacifica does, too.

Newbrunny

Reaction score
Good list.

On the 12” display would like to have CarPlay in the top section and Garmin Nav in the bottom. Currently when you select Nav for the bottom pane, defaults to Apple Maps or Waze.

Have seen at least on marketing image with this combo but have not been able to make it work this way yet.

Newbrunny

Reaction score
Maybe a bit out there but would be really cool to have the app Siri/HomeKit (or Alexa/Google) enabled. The use case would be primarily for remote start. But could also be used to unlock/lock doors. Sure I can just use the app but with voice, I would not have to open the app or use the fob.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good list.

On the 12” display would like to have CarPlay in the top section and Garmin Nav in the bottom. Currently when you select Nav for the bottom pane, defaults to Apple Maps or Waze.

Have seen at least on marketing image with this combo but have not been able to make it work this way yet.

I think I'm able to do this... I'll check tomorrow for ya if I can remember to do so.

JXL118

Reaction score
On start/stop screen, mine shows status. My wife's Pacifica does, too.
Yup, you're right. I just looked at it right after starting up it says not ready because engine is too cold. I swear that every time i looked before though it just said ready or not ready and really seemed kinda useless.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, you're right. I just looked at it right after starting up it says not ready because engine is too cold. I swear that every time i looked before though it just said ready or not ready and really seemed kinda useless.

It has a few different messages, and one of them is just simply "Stop / Start System Not Ready". I believe the others are for when the cabin needs cooling / heating, the engine isn't warm enough, and when the button is pressed to turn the system off.

Jkurtz

Reaction score
I would like to shift gears with the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. The ones on the front are not ergonomic to use and it requires you to take your eyes off the wheel, so to speak.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Maybe a bit out there but would be really cool to have the app Siri/HomeKit (or Alexa/Google) enabled. The use case would be primarily for remote start. But could also be used to unlock/lock doors. Sure I can just use the app but with voice, I would not have to open the app or use the fob.

Ucconnect is available as an Alexa Skill.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions!

I'd like to he able to use my old iPhone 5s as a music player and still be able to have my android phone work via bluetooth.

Once I plug in my 5s, Carplay starts and the bluetooth connection is lost.

Another nice add would be an option to auto reset one or both trip meters on fill up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GoMango16

Reaction score
So you want the mirrors to fold on shut down? Still have to fold them when you pull into the garage . Start it in the garage and if they open on start up you will have to fold them to back out and re-open them after you back out. To me they are fine the way they are. Would be nice to do ut with the FOB......JB.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
As mentioned, It seems easy to fix and intuitive to allow to have heated seats/steering wheel icon on screen to be active or enabled rather than go through the controls screen. Or better yet, actual buttons. One of the few things about the GMC truck I liked was the heated steering wheel button was on the steering wheel and it also has a manual button/lever for the heated seats. Doesn't seem like a big deal I know but sometimes having that tactile feel can make a difference when driving.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"THE SPACE SHUTTLE WILL BE BLASTING OFF IN 10 MINUTES", remember when it just used to be a "TRUCK" to haul your "STUFF" in.

Reactions: MSB

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
So you want the mirrors to fold on shut down? Still have to fold them when you pull into the garage . Start it in the garage and if they open on start up you will have to fold them to back out and re-open them after you back out. To me they are fine the way they are. Would be nice to do ut with the FOB......JB.

Yes, but what is fine for you might not be for others. That is why it is not to have options that you can enable and disable at will, such as the auto-tilting mirrors when in reverse. If it can be a simple software option, why not. Many other vehicles already have this feature.

macallien

Reaction score
Yes, but what is fine for you might not be for others. That is why it is not to have options that you can enable and disable at will, such as the auto-tilting mirrors when in reverse. If it can be a simple software option, why not. Many other vehicles already have this feature.
I agree. Adding this as an option will not hurt the current process that GoMango16 has. It would simply make life easier for those that want it tucked when in park and untucked when driving. My Lexus has this option and it works great. Especially in tight parking areas.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Seems like a simple coding solution, if they are folded by pressing the button, they won’t extend on start up. If they are folded at shutdown/lock, they will unfold on start/unlock. Or an option to disable in uconnect.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a simple coding solution, if they are folded by pressing the button, they won’t extend on start up. If they are folded at shutdown/lock, they will unfold on start/unlock. Or an option to disable in uconnect.
Agreed. My 16-year-old Sierra had this option.

Neokane

Reaction score
ALL of these are all good ideas!
At least make them options that you can configure how you please.

Another thought would be to enable auto entry and exit mode (on air suspension) when the truck is placed in park.

Users who are viewing this thread