5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Softopper Exoskeleton(Adarac)

ej23

Reaction score
This thread inspired me back in the end of June. Due to supply chain issues and "Design changes" on my part, I just now have everything in place. I previously had a Smartcap on order, ordered a Softopper and Adarac Pro and cancelled the Smartcap. Totally different beast, but the biggest thing I was looking for was a place to mount my awning.

The Softopper was was in stock and shipped immediately. Install was easy. The Adarac took longer maybe 11-12 weeks in total, with 1.5 of those languishing about in the Fedex system. Once it arrived, the Adarc Pro installed easily over the Softopper. The kit I ordered had 27" uprights, and being pro, they were vertical. The aesthetics bugged me from day one, and I soon ordered a single countered upright to see how well it would fit over the Softopper. The 27" were the only uprights sold individually so I took a gamble and bought a "right" one. Once it arrived I confirmed fit and then ordered another right and 2 left contour uprights. The final 2 arrived today and I installed the contoured uprights. I am happy with the outcome.

Ultimately it cost me more than it should have. If anyone is going to go the Adarac Pro route and needs an extra set of vertical uprights, hit me up, though looking at the RHRSwag website today, it now looks like they sell with 3 as an option now.
IMG_7333.JPG

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I am not sure what awning your are going to run, but it looks like you could mount from the bottom of the cross bars with the overhang that you have. My ARB 2500x2500 awning which was from my old truck with an 8' bed extends over the cab/back door just a bit, so I had to mount it on top rather than underhung.

ej23

Reaction score
I have an 2.5M awning I currently run on my Tundra. The thought is to use quick disconnect on the mounts mounts and be able to use on either until for a while. I've got the ARB bracket, and have exactly the same thoughts regarding under vs over. I'd prefer under if possible, it will all come down to fit, which I hope to figure out in the next few days. I also have not ruled out trimming the bars should that prove to be the right thing to do, they are 72".

My1stHemi

Reaction score
When I was planning my options with the contoured uprights, I thought it would be nice to have an underhung canopy on one side with a Yakima road shower underhung on the other side for symmetry(and functionality of course). Instead of a road shower, I went with a Joolca Nomad which just came in after my last camping trip.

NavyChief

Reaction score
great setup, I see they sell as a triple now on the Ardac extreme and it gives a 700lbs weight capacity so you OP were correct on increasing your rating.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I added a third brake light to my adarac to compensate for the softopper covering the Cab-mounted CHMSL

I purchased mine from Jeff Bezos but to repent of my patronage of evilcorp, I bought from an American brand ,Tecniq, instead of a Chinese knockoff.

I also used a brake light signal compensator to remove the flashing signal from the trailer light wiring harness that I tapped.

Light : Tecniq T10-rc001
Pacer third brake light logic circuit: 20-702

D7D0BEF7-C5D8-41CF-B133-060A3F58A1C7.jpeg

Attachments

• 58B8F4EA-ADE5-4FEA-8153-C5DF81D2C13A.jpeg
    58B8F4EA-ADE5-4FEA-8153-C5DF81D2C13A.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DB7040D5-A452-4661-AA06-AB268EBFA8DD.jpeg
    DB7040D5-A452-4661-AA06-AB268EBFA8DD.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ej23

Reaction score
Nice on the light. I assume that you cut the extrusion on the back of and mounted with some vhb tape or similar?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Thanks, I’m happy with the result. I had to drill a 9/16 hole IIRC for the center wires that protrude out the back. The light is affixed with two small screws, no tape. If i were to do it again, I would remove the cross bar and drill the extruded aluminum in a drill press. It turned out just fine drilling free hand, but the bit wants to wander once you hit the web at the center of the extrusion.

Users who are viewing this thread