5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft paint?

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the paint seem very fragile/soft on these trucks? I’ve had my truck since September and swear I already have like 10 or more tiny rock chips all over the front. Any else feeling this?

Follow up question they don’t seem too deep it’s down to the white, is that something I should worry about rusting at all?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Touch up paint on the chips is your best bet . If it’s steel under the chips it will rust as the white is probably the primer .
If it’s plastic under the chips then nothing to worry about .

RavenHemi19

Reaction score
I've definitely heard and noticed myself that the paint is super soft. As much as I wanted to keep it a show truck, seems the rocks on the highway and the non-caring people that tend to door ding me had other plans.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it just me or does the paint seem very fragile/soft on these trucks? I’ve had my truck since September and swear I already have like 10 or more tiny rock chips all over the front. Any else feeling this?

Follow up question they don’t seem too deep it’s down to the white, is that something I should worry about rusting at all?
I’ve owned several new and used cars and trucks and these new rams are by far the worst paint if anything I’ve ever owned, Rick chips, scratches very easily😥

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Late Build and I have zero issues with fragile paint. I've seen the complaint in the forums of quite a few, especially in the front of painted bumpers, etc.

However, my trucks paint is nearly perfect, even after 3 years, I barely have any nicks, much less any chips or missing paint. I bought touch up paint for that purpose, but have yet to use it.

I of course could have simply been lucky, even my windshield hasn't had a big rock strike yet, normally I would have had to replace a windshield by now, and it's still nearly flawless.

tech97elec

Reaction score
I agree with the soft, thin paint. Mines barely a year and the front plastics look like my 10 year old work van. I try not to follow closely either

Users who are viewing this thread