5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft bed tonneau covers, rollup or trifold?

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a soft bed cover for my 2021 Lone Star. Between the trifold and a roll up is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I am looking to spend between 200 and 250. Also, are there certain brands that are preferred for the 1500?

Thanks in advance.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a soft bed cover for my 2021 Lone Star. Between the trifold and a roll up is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I am looking to spend between 200 and 250. Also, are there certain brands that are preferred for the 1500?

Thanks in advance.
For a soft cover...I'd go with the roll up. Make sure it's one that designed for the 5th gen ram though since the front of the bed has that curve to it. The trifold soft cover doesn't allow full bed access. Plus..the roll-up ones seem to be more durable based on others experiences that I've seen.

midntrdr

Reaction score
I’ve had both and prefer the roll up. The trifold doesn’t give full access without taking it completely off which became very annoying. Also the cover starts to crease where the folds are and looks bad over time (at least my ocd thought it looked bad). In my experience they all leak a little no matter what kind. My only advice is don’t go too cheap or you will have regrets down the road.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree with above. $250 should get you a very decent foll up cover. Personally I have a quad fold hard cover that gives me full bed access...but my truck stays outside 24/7 so I needed the added security. Otherwise I would've went with another roll up and saved myself $400 lol.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
If you go with a roll up make sure to aware of the cover's position when rolled up. If it is touching the cab there could be rubbing caused by wind and turbulence and you could end up with some unwanted "customization" to your paint finish.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Agree with above. $250 should get you a very decent foll up cover. Personally I have a quad fold hard cover that gives me full bed access...but my truck stays outside 24/7 so I needed the added security. Otherwise I would've went with another roll up and saved myself $400 lol.
Thanks!!
I am mostly thinking of getting one to help with reducing the drag on road trips.
If you go with a roll up make sure to aware of the cover's position when rolled up. If it is touching the cab there could be rubbing caused by wind and turbulence and you could end up with some unwanted "customization" to your paint finish.
Good advice!!

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks!!

I am mostly thinking of getting one to help with reducing the drag on road trips.

Good advice!!
I have not done research on covers and drag but I made a short trip without my cover and my mpg gauge seemed to contradict the gas savings of a cover. Again I have not done any valid reading or do a comparison test.

Jako

Reaction score
Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are some of the better brands?
Gator
Truxedo
Extang
BAK
...those are the only ones I have experience with which are pretty good quality. Also...I know exactly what you mean about highway drag. With the covers I've noticed a huge difference with wind drag, etc. You'll get maybe an extra 1mpg highway too.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Gator
Truxedo
Extang
BAK
...those are the only ones I have experience with which are pretty good quality. Also...I know exactly what you mean about highway drag. With the covers I've noticed a huge difference with wind drag, etc. You'll get maybe an extra 1mpg highway too.
I was wondering also is the cover would enhance or interferer with the properties of the tailgate spoiler.

mattsvtsnake

Reaction score
I just installed a Gator roll up cover and it seems to be decent. Haven't had any rain or car washes yet so I don't know how water tight it is. But I don't have any expectations for it to be dry. I think it was under $200 during black Friday.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed a Gator roll up cover and it seems to be decent. Haven't had any rain or car washes yet so I don't know how water tight it is. But I don't have any expectations for it to be dry. I think it was under $200 during black Friday.
Yea most soft covers will allow at least some water in. My Quad fold hard Gator cover even let's in a few drops but not enough to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread