5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Socket on dash

Reaction score
Has anyone rerouted that socket to another location? I think this was poor design choice. I want to purchase a multi socket so I can have LEDs in the footwell and my radar detector

Rhombus

Reaction score
Look up installing USB chargers in the rear on the console on Bighorns. You could steal power from the same location under the steering wheel for you project.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Not sure what that means. Many us up have added 12 volts and/or powered usb in the rear of the center console. As I noted, you can steal power from the panel under the steering wheel and put a connector wherever you want it without moving the one on the dash. You’ve asked this question on multiple threads. Just doing a little searching and then add the power connector.

edit: it’s not that others LIKE where the power connector is located, we’ve just taken measures to put what we want, where we want it.

Reaction score
Not sure what that means. Many us up have added 12 volts and/or powered usb in the rear of the center console. As I noted, you can steal power from the panel under the steering wheel and put a connector wherever you want it without moving the one on the dash. You’ve asked this question on multiple threads. Just doing a little searching and then add the power connector.

edit: it’s not that others LIKE where the power connector is located, we’ve just taken measures to put what we want, where we want it.

Not too inclined on this stuff but I'll have a look. Thanks

Reaction score
I think it was put there since lots of people use radar detectors and cameras on the front window. Heck, some people still use GPS!! It makes sense that you don't have to have a cord dangling across the interior of the truck.
Yeah but now you have 4ft of cord laying on the dash lol

dv8er

Reaction score
Not if you use a shorter cord. Most of those devices connect with mini / micro USB which are readily available in any length you want.

I do wish RAM would have kept another 12v socket somewhere in the front and/or back console. I'm going to be wiring a 12v socket + dual QC USB ports to the bottom area of the rear console this weekend or next. It will be used to power a dual DVD player setup for the kiddos.

Users who are viewing this thread