5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So what does $1200 buy me?

Texagonian

Reaction score
Oregon or Texas depending on weather or mood.
In regards to the cost to upgrade from an 8 4 to a 12in.

Is there features missing on the 8.4 that the 12 has? Does the 12 do something way better then the 8.4?

All I can see in difference is in the 12in, you can split screen apps. Which most the apps do not appear to the use full potential of the 12in anyhow.

So what am I missing for that $1200 or so upgrade cost?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In regards to the cost to upgrade from an 8 4 to a 12in.

Is there features missing on the 8.4 that the 12 has? Does the 12 do something way better then the 8.4?

All I can see in difference is in the 12in, you can split screen apps. Which most the apps do not appear to the use full potential of the 12in anyhow.

So what am I missing for that $1200 or so upgrade cost?

I think you pretty much got it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but mostly the same functionality just bigger.

With that said, if you use navigation for actually navigating and viewing the road ahead... the difference is HUGE. As good as the 8.4" screen is, the fact that it's permanently in "landscape" mode limits how far ahead you can see. By the time you zoom out enough, and tilt the view into 3D mode, small roads and other details disappear from the map. The ability to view the map in "portrait" mode, and by virtue of the larger screen, makes navigating much more pleasurable and useful. Also, when I'm on long trips using my 8.4" nav, I am at times flipping furiously back-n-forth between infotainment and map; the split screen of the 12 incher again adds convenience.

jkm312

Reaction score
I'll play the other side for the sake of this discussion. I passed on the 12 inch screen, because all of the controls are imbedded in the touch screen. You have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Creates a distraction more so than the 8.4 screen. I prefer the knobs and switches under the 8.4 screen for cabin comfort. I know where they are by feel and to me less of a distraction. The nav is OK, but google map thru apple car play works better IMO. I listen for the verbal instructions more so that watching the map on the screen. I use it mostly for getting in the correct lane for turns and such which is just a glance.

The 12 inch screen looks impressive, and it is, however my preference is the 8.4. I took that $1200 and put it in a tonneau cover, oil catch can, mud flaps, bed liner, bed rails and floor mats.

I have ridden motorcycles coast to coast all my life and still do. We "bikers" share the road with all of the rest of the drivers. You have to have your head in the game and on a swivel all the time. It is the distracted drivers that are beginning to concern me, because of the ever increasing numbers. To be fair the new bikes are made with screen controls just like the cars and trucks. It's the times we live in.

There are some really cool cars, trucks and bikes out there. I'm really partial to my Ram! Of all my past trucks, this is my favorite no question. Just turned a 1000 trouble free miles this week.

I just respectfully ask that we all pay attention and be careful.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I'll play the other side for the sake of this discussion. I passed on the 12 inch screen, because all of the controls are imbedded in the touch screen. You have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Creates a distraction more so than the 8.4 screen. I prefer the knobs and switches under the 8.4 screen for cabin comfort. I know where they are by feel and to me less of a distraction. The nav is OK, but google map thru apple car play works better IMO. I listen for the verbal instructions more so that watching the map on the screen. I use it mostly for getting in the correct lane for turns and such which is just a glance.

The 12 inch screen looks impressive, and it is, however my preference is the 8.4. I took that $1200 and put it in a tonneau cover, oil catch can, mud flaps, bed liner, bed rails and floor mats.

I have ridden motorcycles coast to coast all my life and still do. We "bikers" share the road with all of the rest of the drivers. You have to have your head in the game and on a swivel all the time. It is the distracted drivers that are beginning to concern me, because of the ever increasing numbers. To be fair the new bikes are made with screen controls just like the cars and trucks. It's the times we live in.

There are some really cool cars, trucks and bikes out there. I'm really partial to my Ram! Of all my past trucks, this is my favorite no question. Just turned a 1000 trouble free miles this week.

I just respectfully ask that we all pay attention and be careful.
Im assuming u financed the vehicle..The 1200 bucks for the 12 inch screen upgrade is a very small amount in the monthly note, and I think it's well worth it. The looks are already 100% better. The dispaly on the screen looks good. And the nav has verbal response. The controls are on the steering wheel so no need to touch screen. And also the dash cluster displays when turns are coming up of displays the nav if needed. So having the 12 inch vs the 8 inch there is no down side other than having 4 less inches on display and having old analog buttons on dash. A long with a non split screen & higher demand or resale value

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
That why I'm pleased we have choices. I didn't want the 12" so I wasn't going to pay extra for it. I like knobs and buttons, and the 8.4" is the ideal blend of new tech and user preferences for me. My dealer told me that nobody comes in requiring a 3.92 rear axle and heated front seats (wife) but not wanting leather or large screen. Well let me be the first! Folks should buy what works best for them.

Lize

Reaction score
I thought the only hard buttons missing with the 12” are for the heated seats?

Turin

Reaction score
I'm with @jkm312. I deliberately chose the 8.4" over the 12" because I prefer the layout and controls. I use Google Maps for navigation so the built-in navigation being full-screen wouldn't benefit me. If the 12" system supported full-screen Android Auto (instead of split-screen) I'd have been more tempted.
Im assuming u financed the vehicle..The 1200 bucks for the 12 inch screen upgrade is a very small amount in the monthly note, and I think it's well worth it.
If it's worth it to you, great, but those small increases in the monthly payment add up. You might be thinking it's only few bucks a month but the total cost is $1200 plus interest so add $100 – $300 depending on your interest rate and term.
My dealer told me that nobody comes in requiring a 3.92 rear axle and heated front seats (wife) but not wanting leather or large screen. Well let me be the first!
Your build date is earlier than mine so you might have been the first but you weren't the last!
I thought the only hard buttons missing with the 12” are for the heated seats?
Heat and ventilation, if equipped. It's more than just missing buttons, though. I strongly prefer having large tactile knobs for temperature control over flush buttons.

Texagonian

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, giving me much to ponder,

FWIW, if the only difference is a larger nav screen, and everything else is split screened, $1200 is a big pill to swallow for a "gee whiz" sized screen. I think I'd rather put that $1200 towards some Ramboxes.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, giving me much to ponder,

FWIW, if the only difference is a larger nav screen, and everything else is split screened, $1200 is a big pill to swallow for a "gee whiz" sized screen. I think I'd rather put that $1200 towards some Ramboxes.
If payload/towing matter to you the ramboxes may not be good for you.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
12 inch display, It's worth the money.

If you are trying to CONVINCE ur self diffrent. There is your answer lol

Texagonian

Reaction score
I am not trying to tell myself different, I am actually asking owners what $1200 buys me to discern if the investment is worth it. As in, is there anything it offers from the 8.4in I should consider before I say no and write it off as unneeded, Sounds to me full 12in navigation and split screen ability is about it. Nothing I feel I will kick myself later for.

Again, if you feel this is worth it, that's your truck and your money. I however don't willy-nilly add things that will end up costing me big $$$ without a darn good reason for it. Just how I was raised to respect money. I am already treating myself enough here with a new truck. But I have a darn good reason for that too. lol

Thank you creep0321, I actually do need to consider towing. However my RV comes in at 8200 loaded to max. Still plenty of cushion for my pushin so to speak. :)

Creep0321

Reaction score
I am not trying to tell myself different, I am actually asking owners what $1200 buys me to discern if the investment is worth it. As in, is there anything it offers from the 8.4in I should consider before I say no and write it off as unneeded, Sounds to me full 12in navigation and split screen ability is about it. Nothing I feel I will kick myself later for.

Again, if you feel this is worth it, that's your truck and your money. I however don't willy-nilly add things that will end up costing me big $$$ without a darn good reason for it. Just how I was raised to respect money. I am already treating myself enough here with a new truck. But I have a darn good reason for that too. lol

Thank you creep0321, I actually do need to consider towing. However my RV comes in at 8200 loaded to max. Still plenty of cushion for my pushin so to speak. :)
Do you know the youngest weight at that load? Payload would still be something to look at (based on trim and other options) ram boxes are roughly 150 lbs if I remember.

Texagonian

Reaction score
Do you know the youngest weight at that load? Payload would still be something to look at (based on trim and other options) ram boxes are roughly 150 lbs if I remember.

It's this one. No worries, it's well under.

Users who are viewing this thread