5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So what’s this noise?

MxRacer965

Reaction score
The saga continues with my CPO 2019 Ram Big Horn Hemi. Noticed the last time I went to drive it that it made a pretty sharp “clack” noise for quite a while after start up before settling down after a couple minutes and then sounded normal. Thought it might be because it sat for a while, it doesn’t get driven daily. I notice it makes this noise every time I start it now, hot or cold. The longer it sits the longer it makes noise when started. This video is after driving around town for an hour, 80 outside, then it sat for about 15 minutes before I started it with the remote starter. I only captured 20 seconds to keep the video size down, but it stays like this for a bit. Passenger side only. Seems to be towards firewall. I noticed the oil seemed over full (dealer serviced before selling), so even though it wasn’t time for a change by a long shot I did a change and used 5W-20 Mobil 1. My 2011 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi has lived a long, quiet, trouble free life for nearly 100K miles with that oil, so I figured I’d stick with it. 7 quarts, used Mopar filter. No change, but I didn’t expect it to necessarily.

Thoughts on if this is lifter or exhaust manifold? Dealer replaced the transmission a few weeks ago under warranty, so I’m wondering if it is more likely exhaust since I think that has to come out (I checked the manifold to cat junction and the bolts were super tight). It came on suddenly, and takes time to go away, but quickly comes back when sitting. Everything taken together I am leaning exhaust…
insight appreciated!

Couldn’t attach video…trying link to YouTube

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of my sons recently had a noise like that on his 2017 and it was sounding quite metallic to my ear. I was thinking lifter. Turned out to be broken exhaust studs. However, I've read a couple reports of cracked exhaust manifolds on 5th gen DTs, a problem not reported on 4th gens.

Whatever the cause this needs to be addressed by your dealer.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053088 miles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah if it goes away after the exhaust heats up that definitely sounds like it could be manifolds. If it's gotten worse that means the crack and/or separation from the block has gotten worse. You keep hearing it because every time the exhaust cools the metal contracts and the cracks re-open.

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Ram went to the dealer today. Replacing manifold, studs, etc. apparently studs broke and led to the leak. Though the service advisor said the manifold was good, the fact the studs broke wouldn’t that generally mean the manifold warped? So manifold put so much pressure on studs that they broke…or do the studs just randomly break?

At any rate, power train warranty to the rescue. Again. 2 months ago it was and entire transmission…

Before that it was power mirror, steering wheel, passenger rear door lock, and a cracked rear window frame they won’t fix. I feel like I’m missing something in there…it will come to me I’m sure 😂

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram went to the dealer today. Replacing manifold, studs, etc. apparently studs broke and led to the leak. Though the service advisor said the manifold was good, the fact the studs broke wouldn’t that generally mean the manifold warped? So manifold put so much pressure on studs that they broke…or do the studs just randomly break?

At any rate, power train warranty to the rescue. Again. 2 months ago it was and entire transmission…

Before that it was power mirror, steering wheel, passenger rear door lock, and a cracked rear window frame they won’t fix. I feel like I’m missing something in there…it will come to me I’m sure 😂
The studs breaking does not mean anything is warped. The heads are aluminum and the manifolds are cast iron. The expansion/contraction rate differences cause the excess stress on the studs. They could use stronger studs but then the aluminum heads would be the weak point. Better to have the studs snap.

Nels

Reaction score
Sounds very much like my truck, which is at the dealer now awaiting arrival of new manifolds, both sides.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lousy AC

Users who are viewing this thread