5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So much for replacing any tail light bulbs!

Lezmark

Reaction score
I posted a question yesterday on options for better reverse lighting. Being the cheap a#@ I am, I thought i would try some better quality bulbs. It looks to me like Ram doesnt make that an option for us!!?? Who knew? Not ME! tail light.jpg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a question yesterday on options for better reverse lighting. Being the cheap a#@ I am, I thought i would try some better quality bulbs. It looks to me like Ram doesnt make that an option for us!!?? Who knew? Not ME! View attachment 176468
Yes sir... Sealed LED`s. I installed additional lights under the bumper.
Lot of people have added extra lighting.

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LED’s are Light Emitting Diodes and are not bulbs. They usually last longer, draw less amperage and are brighter, but not easily replaced like lamps. As suggested above, get some aftermarket brackets and cube LED’s to brighten up your rear. Good Luck!

scott511

Reaction score
Well at least yall don't have what I just had.
Took mine to the dealer to have the CHMSL replaced under the extended warranty. Everything went smooth with that. 2 days later I get a message from a neighbor; "your tail lights are not working".
I go back to dealer as they were working when I took it in for the CHMSL. It was diagnosed with a "loose ground on the frame which caused both tail light bulbs to blow".
$250 later I have working tail lights again. I asked them to show me which ground on the frame needed attention so I wouldn't have to pay 250 for two $3 bulbs.
"Oh that tech is gone for the day" is the response I got.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well at least yall don't have what I just had.
Took mine to the dealer to have the CHMSL replaced under the extended warranty. Everything went smooth with that. 2 days later I get a message from a neighbor; "your tail lights are not working".
I go back to dealer as they were working when I took it in for the CHMSL. It was diagnosed with a "loose ground on the frame which caused both tail light bulbs to blow".
$250 later I have working tail lights again. I asked them to show me which ground on the frame needed attention so I wouldn't have to pay 250 for two $3 bulbs.
"Oh that tech is gone for the day" is the response I got.
That blows. A loose ground "should not" blow a tail light unless it is a filament type standard bulb that can only take so many on/off cycles til the tungsten gives out.

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That blows. A loose ground "should not" blow a tail light unless it is a filament type standard bulb that can only take so many on/off cycles til the tungsten gives out.
☝️Yeah that, but an unlikely coincidence unless they were the ones who loosened it. Does the CHMSL by any chance ground to the same point? I haven't broke down to pay "the subscription", so anyone else have access to wiring diagram for that?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really don't understand what people are complaining about with the back up lights. I've seen a few people say so. My back up camera looks like daylight at night.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't understand what people are complaining about with the back up lights. I've seen a few people say so. My back up camera looks like daylight at night.
Some of us actually use our mirrors to back up. I know it might seem like a strange concept, but it works. I can't stand using just the camera. And if you thinking looks like daylight with just the cheesy fsctory back up light, try seeing what it looks like with good aux backup lights

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted a question yesterday on options for better reverse lighting. Being the cheap a#@ I am, I thought i would try some better quality bulbs. It looks to me like Ram doesnt make that an option for us!!?? Who knew? Not ME! View attachment 176468
I believe if your truck is equipped with the LED lights all around that’s how they all are, at least for my limited there is not one bulb in the truck all led chips/boards which make it some what of a pain to replace when they go out.

I recently had to replace a fog light and scored a used set (D&P) fogs off eBay.

Also added aux reverse lights using shift and grins in line harness
IMG_7094.png

IMG_7261.png
Chelhead Surface Mount Led... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JMB616?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I believe if your truck is equipped with the LED lights all around that’s how they all are, at least for my limited there is not one bulb in the truck all led chips/boards which make it some what of a pain to replace when they go out.

I recently had to replace a fog light and scored a used set (D&P) fogs off eBay.

Also added aux reverse lights using shift and grins in line harness
View attachment 176502

View attachment 176503
Chelhead Surface Mount Led... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JMB616?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That came out really nice 👍

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think some of the earlier versions did not have the starlight level camera. The newer ones are probably more sensitive than the human eye. But having said that, the camera does get frosted, fogged, splattered with mud and so on. It's still necessary to see by mirrors or turning your head.

Users who are viewing this thread