5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I just got back from a road trip

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did this guy really buy a full size V8 truck and select the model that is SPECIFICALLY MADE TO GO OFF ROAD and then come on here to ***** about his gas mileage?

I'm really getting sick of these threads. The 2wd v6 guys aren't bitching that they keep getting stuck in the mud right? so stop bitching that your offroad model doesn't get the same mileage as they do!

TO REBEL OWNERS: Your truck will get crappier mileage than any other model, cause and effect...
TO THE LARAMIE TRIM AND BELOW GUYS: If you aren't getting 20+ on the highway then you need to learn how to stay off the brakes and stop putting your right foot though the floor all the time.

I and 3 of my friends own ds and dt rams all with the hemi and 4wd. Every one of us averages 16-17mpg combined give or take. I have over 10k miles of long haul trips, all over 75mph and all over 22mpg.

rant over
Thank you!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035944 miles.

Shives

Reaction score
So, I've been hit by the horrid gas milage, then I got pissed.. Tried a few things.

Last tank... Avg in town 17-19 MPG I run gas from Bj's and use 93. (worth it at the discount price) I have a Green air filter, removed the Carbon filter above it. I have NO mods to my truck (other then filter) Everything intact, and working, air dam and more.

Last tank, I got just about 400 miles. (394 actual)

2019 RAM 1500 5.7 Not a ECO. A/C was on and off.. Most of my going is up hills both ways to work, each day.

So, I Too was getting upset with gas milage.. So, I wanted to play around. I also used the cruse control a lot going up hills to see how it went, and monitor the milage. This helped name understand how it ran it. I also found it better to come up to speed faster, then just barely touching the pedal.. The amount of time you spend under 15 MPG trying to save gas, lightly touching the pedal, will actually suck more then just coming up to speed, in a quick amount of time, then slowly backing down. (not saying floor it)

Anyways..

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many people when accelerating overshoot the speed limit, or the speed they really want to go, then reduce speed. Since the truck version of the 5.7 has a torque benefit, getting into the higher gears sooner will promote better gas mileage.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041361 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Drop your cruise speed 5-10mph, and you'll see better numbers. You get over that 75mph mark, and you take a big hit.
Agree. 80 is a lot of wind resistance. Our best mpg’s are 70 or slightly faster, certainly 75 or under.

Attachments

• 1AA655DF-E117-47EE-B15C-A53B5CDA965E.jpeg
    1AA655DF-E117-47EE-B15C-A53B5CDA965E.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 43

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can get 20 mpg if I am very gentle. However real world driving, I'm around 13 mpg. The penalty for even the slightest use of the fun peddle is really high with the Hemi, more so than any other truck I've owned.

Having a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust doesn't help either, because you tend to jab the throttle more often to hear it.

sppb32

Reaction score
On a 700 mile road trip 3 people and half loaded i averaged 22.7 mpg there and back doing 70-80 mph i get 20+ on a dally basis no city driving, with my Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0 turbo i get 23 mpg average :unsure:

reidcc

Reaction score
As someone who looked at Sierra Elevation and Silverado RST, the RAM makes up for it in many other ways!

Chris
Look up the real world tests of the new Silverado’s that come with the 6.2......this is straight up embarrassing what we’re dealing with in our Rams

BoudinBall

Reaction score
I’m disappointed in the mileage I’m getting as well. I wouldn’t be so disappointed if the sticker had just been accurate. I’ve never bought a vehicle that has been so far off the advertised mileage. I guess the 3.92 and ORG are what’s killing me. I love the truck but this MPG is turrible.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I’m disappointed in the mileage I’m getting as well. I wouldn’t be so disappointed if the sticker had just been accurate. I’ve never bought a vehicle that has been so far off the advertised mileage. I guess the 3.92 and ORG are what’s killing me. I love the truck but this MPG is turrible.

Yup, blame that on FCA, they choose to blanket EPA statement all RAMs to the test vehicles which are 3.21 axle with 18" street tires, the only difference they actually cited was 2wd vs 4wd, and cab configuration.

I knew from past experience that 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle I didn't stand a chance in seeing the 15 city / 21 highway with 17 mpg mixed my truck was EPA stickered for. But people not in the know are going to be in a shock when they are pulling 13 mpg mixed!

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, blame that on FCA, they choose to blanket EPA statement all RAMs to the test vehicles which are 3.21 axle with 18" street tires, the only difference they actually cited was 2wd vs 4wd, and cab configuration.

I knew from past experience that 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle I didn't stand a chance in seeing the 15 city / 21 highway with 17 mpg mixed my truck was EPA stickered for. But people not in the know are going to be in a shock when they are pulling 13 mpg mixed!

Yeah...13 pretty much nails it with that setup lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
More like 10
Thank you!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035944 miles.
yep I get 10 and I’m ok with it

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I also just did a short road trip, 215 miles, elevation change was 1000 ft up to 5500 ft. One way trip, with the uphill climb, doing around 75. I had to get on it a few times to get around those slow moving semi's. Hand calculated at 18.78 MPG. I cannot complain about that!

jburden59

Reaction score
I just did a 625 +/- mile road trip from the beach to the mountains @ 4000 + feet for a three day two night backpacking trip and averaged 17.1 mpg with eTorque + 3.92. Full on interstate for 4 hours with the last hour and a half in various elevations with steep climbs and awesome curvy downhills, I did experiment with cruise control vs feathered pedal application and can attest that cruise control yields less MDS than the feathered approach. Over all, I loved every minute of the drive.... I also had no "mileage" expectations when I chose a V8 Hemi.....

Last edited:

Bassinb

Reaction score
3.92, Hemi, no etorque, Limited 2020, stock tire setup. Had a 500 mile round trip last week averaged 19.7mpg with the adaptive cruise set at 74mph and suspension in "Aero". With the adaptive cruise on, speeds varied a little obviously. I am perfectly happy with that.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I just completed a 962 mile trip into Colorado. I climbed many passes with the highest being 10,920 ft. Most of the drive was on 2 lane highways with 80+ speeds at times, but some was on curvy mountain roads going as low as 35. The truck ran great and I hardly noticed that uphill climb it was so smooth in its power. I used mid-grade gas when available, and did my Costco mix when I got home. I hand calculated my MPG at 20.22 while the truck said 21.3. It is most likely off due to my tire and rim change and of course it is called the Lie-O-Meter. Either way that is fantastic gas mileage for this truck.

1FD61FFD-2F2C-426D-AC6F-252FB5BFA9E2.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I just completed a 962 mile trip into Colorado. I climbed many passes with the highest being 10,920 ft. Most of the drive was on 2 lane highways with 80+ speeds at times, but some was on curvy mountain roads going as low as 35. The truck ran great and I hardly noticed that uphill climb it was so smooth in its power. I used mid-grade gas when available, and did my Costco mix when I got home. I hand calculated my MPG at 20.22 while the truck said 21.3. It is most likely off due to my tire and rim change and of course it is called the Lie-O-Meter. Either way that is fantastic gas mileage for this truck.

View attachment 73638
That‘s pretty dang good for a hemi equipped 3.92 with that terrain (elevation change), speeds and such.
It seems that there is a lot of variance in highway mpg’s with owners of those gears, which doesn’t make much sense. A million or so hemi’s with the same gears should have a predictable Bell curve of mileage. There’s always outliers on each end. Your results seems to be a bit of an outlier on the “good” end.
I have 3.21’s, rarely change much elevation, keep my speeds around 65-70 mph and I see 21-22 ish at best.

Attachments

• FFC961D5-26E7-49CF-A23A-B93809EDF94E.jpeg
    FFC961D5-26E7-49CF-A23A-B93809EDF94E.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online