5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So far what I've done on my new 23' Big Horn....

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I bought the truck brand new at the beginning of February. So far these are what I've done....

- Breaking in the engine. Gas mileage looks pretty good after over 1000 km driving like a grandma.

- Replacing the factory tires with Falken AT3W.

- Adding a soft trifold tonneau cover.

- Adding a pair of front tow hooks.

- Putting up an aluminum headache rack.

Now what I need to do next...

- Adding foam adhesive seals to make my tonneau cover fit okay with headache rack.

- Installing skid plates once they arrive. I will see if I've ordered the right parts. Once done, I will post the list of parts here. I ordered all three plates including the plate for my 33 gal tank.

ThinkMud

Reaction score
Which headache rack did you go with? I'm looking into getting one for my 2022

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
Which headache rack did you go with? I'm looking into getting one for my 2022
It's a no name brand 'cargomaster'. I purposely stayed away from steel racks. This one is aluminum. It's not rated as heavy duty as steel racks, but for my purposes it's plenty. BTW I'm in Canada, and the rack was sold in Canadian Tire for $200 CDN. You do need to drill to get it installed.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you share the part #’s you use for your fuel tank skid plate? I did the other two skid plates…fuel skid is next.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
Can you share the part #’s you use for your fuel tank skid plate? I did the other two skid plates…fuel skid is next.
Yes I will. So far I can confirm you will need one cross member only, the plate and the bracket. I'm talking about my 33 gallon tank.

But the other parts are all over the place on mopar's diagram. They are not accurate. Once I successfully installed the plate, I will post a detailed breakdown list of bolts and nuts.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@604LMDGUY

Thanks. I wonder if it’s the same skid plate for the 26 gal tank, which is what I have. My biggest regret is not getting the 33 gal tank. Looks like I’ll be doing more research! Lol.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score

So you can start ordering these three pieces

52029964AD fuel tank plate
68303523AB skid plate bracket
68348386AB cross member

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
@604LMDGUY

Thanks. I wonder if it’s the same skid plate for the 26 gal tank, which is what I have. My biggest regret is not getting the 33 gal tank. Looks like I’ll be doing more research! Lol.

I don't think so. Even look at the price of 26 gallon plate, it's a lot cheaper than 33 gallon plate.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it’s a different skid plate for sure. About 18” longer for obv reasons. Lol.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I don't think so. Even look at the price of 26 gallon plate, it's a lot cheaper than 33 gallon plate.
Ooops, sorry I didn't read your sig carefully! Sorry I can't help much. But you can get on McKinney Chrysler website. They will provide the part numbers you need. But I will hold on to those bolts and nuts until you receive your plate and cross members. But no matter what you will need a bunch of M10-1.5x35 and M8-1.25x35 bolts. Some M10-1.5 and M8-1.25 flanged nuts and extruded nuts. Bolts should be all flanged or come with washers. Don't buy rivet nuts as the diagram shows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread