5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So confused - "rides better than stock" or "rides way worse" with LT/10 ply? I hear both!

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Yes, I know it's subjective and personal opinion, but I read that Nittos (and other LT/10 ply tires) ride better, I read they ride worse, and I read they ride "unbearable"....compared to stock. Seems quite a disparity in opinions. I was originally going to be moving up to 22" wheels with XL tires, but then really wanted to level the truck, and most of the tires in the larger sizes are LT/10 ply...So then I read of people who went from stock to 10 ply and say it's horrible (and had to switch back). Or it's "only a little stiffer"... or many people saying they ride BETTER...I don't mind a slightly rougher ride, but I really do enjoy the smooth ride and don't want to go to a really rough ride. (which some people are saying). Also wondering if sometimes its partially about the pressures they are running.

Interested in people's experiences in going to LT/10 ply tires.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not believe anything will ride “better” than stock. I have a lift and run 10ply 35’s on aftermarket wheels in the summer and 10 ply 275/65’s on stock 20’s for the winter. Tire air pressure is key in the 10plys for ride. I run around 38-40 psi and am satisfied with the ride. Definitely not better than stock but not bad either. Overall can’t tell much difference unless you are on a “rougher’ road then the ride is somewhat bumpier. Even with the 10 plys, the truck still rides as well or slightly better than my ‘17 Ford Expedition. Those are just my thoughts and opinions!;)

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with @19llhpb nothing is going to ride better than stock. Not to say some super soft tread that wears in 10k miles won’t but I think you get my point.

I switched to BFG TA KO2s. I’ve had them on other trucks but the softer suspension of the Ram really revealed the difference in the KO2s as compared to my other trucks. Now that my KO2’s have about 3k on them, they’re not bad at all. They are smooth, not as supple as stock but smooh enough that when these wear, I’d replace them with KO2s again.

lambone

Reaction score
My 305/55/20 Nitto RidgeGrapplers definitely ride rougher then stock. Mostly noticeable on the freeway. But I still love em! By no means unbearable. Not much louder imho

Last edited:

RenoRam

Reaction score
Have 275/60/20 XL Nitto Ridge Grapplers and my ride quality seems equal to stock. No harshness or noise on the road. LT sizing tires are generally heavier, noisier and more costly. You will get a lot of opinions on this topic but the bottom line comes down to what is your tolerance level for a potential change in ride quality or noise?

Cannonball

Reaction score
My 305/55/20 Nitto RidgeGrapplers definitely ride rougher then stock. Mostly noticeable on the freeway. But I still love em! By no means unbearable. Not much louder imho
Interesting to see all the posters here with 3.92 say their LTs are not too far from stock vs your experience with the 3.21.

Assuming you have the LT version, those are 64lbs / 12ply... 100lbs extra unsprung over stock.

geotex1

Reaction score
After riding with another forum member who went this route, my seat-o-meter would explain it as a return to driving like a truck versus a refined car. He may chime in with agreement if he reads this, but he road with me over them same route and noted how noticeably smoother it was on my stock shows. YMMV

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. First dose of reality is that whether I go 295/60R20 or 285/55R22, I have a choice of 10 ply, 10 ply, or....10ply, so I guess it's kind of moot. I might have got caught up in this slightly misplaced desire to maintain the Ram "supple" ride, but in reality I don't think I fear returning the truck to truck-like mannerisms - one of my favorite rides of all time was my Jeep Wrangler...so that should tell me something.

Troop2865

Reaction score
My two cents: When I first switched from the factory ORG 18 inch Falken's to 35-12.50-18 Nitto Ridge Grappler tires, I said I noticed little difference in the ride, and just slightly more road noise.

With winter here, I took my 35's off and put the factory wheels and tires back on. As soon as I drove it I realized there was much more difference than I first noticed. The factory tires ride much smoother. The biggest difference for me is a drop of fuel economy by about 3 MPG average with the 35's. I don't notice the truck being any more sluggish although I am sure a stopwatch would say differently.

Bottom line is I love the way the truck looks with the 35's, and what I lose by running them in comfort and economy is too little difference to NOT run them. Even with the 35's, it rides very well.

lambone

Reaction score
Interesting to see all the posters here with 3.92 say their LTs are not too far from stock vs your experience with the 3.21.

Assuming you have the LT version, those are 64lbs / 12ply... 100lbs extra unsprung over stock.

It appears mine are not the LT version.

Which is not what I ordered...

Cannonball

Reaction score
It appears mine are not the LT version.

Which is not what I ordered...
Maybe you have a psi issue then.... XL max psi is only 44. I bet you are way over pressure if whoever aired them up also thought they were LT rating.

Users who are viewing this thread